Venus bow thruster

wullie

Featured Posts

My Vetus bow thruster cut out, at the time there was no power at the control panel, later on the panel itself was switching on but when pressing button to operate it switched off all power, not sure of the problem but tried to take panel off to check behind can't see any screws securing it, tried to pop off with screwdriver but very tight, any info would be much appreciated.

Loose connection from the control panel at the thruster end? If similar to mine it clips onto the side of the thruster and has occasionally been dislodged when getting out our hose reel. 

On mine the control panel connects to the actual thruster via a 4 pin connector. There is no form of protection from damp corrosion to the terminal. Maybe a good clean of the terminals and some silicone grease. 

Is there power at the thruster, or has the fuse blown, and are the batteries decently charged. When my charging link fuse was broken the bow thruster worked for a few weeks before it suddenly stopped. I know when the fuse was broken because it was when we accidentally dumped a heavy object on it. We didn't know at the time I may add.

20 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

By Christ you should have seen us...

The figure head was a ...............

As per similar thread running on Beta engine, was the wife making a nespresso coffee? Large power draw. It's bad enough managing two sets of batteries.... but looking after 3 is just too much dedication. 

HI everybody, sorry for delay in replying to the answers you have all posted, yes all working and up and running, found dampness and loose wire at plug at thruster, thanks for the advice, you can always get good suggestions what to look for on here.

Just for future ref I have a Vetus Bow Thruster.

Had problems getting to run reliably.

Learnt loads in diagnosing and fixing the problems all caused by a little condensation. Essentially sticky brushes and solenoids on the motor.

Vetus spares were ridiculously priced eg brushes £75+ a set. I sourced exact same for £12.86 delivered.

If you help in future pm me as I might be able to help.

PS I also added a remote control with 2 handsets for it for princely sum of £3 using a 4x4 winch controller.

... and Albright International is your friend if the contactor (solenoid) gives trouble, which it will do if the thruster draws the voltage down below 12v.   All my problems with a vetus BT were the result of low voltage and long cables.  A local battery wired-in to the supply cable is the solution. 

3 hours ago, Blazeaway said:

Just for future ref I have a Vetus Bow Thruster.

Had problems getting to run reliably.

Learnt loads in diagnosing and fixing the problems all caused by a little condensation. Essentially sticky brushes and solenoids on the motor.

Vetus spares were ridiculously priced eg brushes £75+ a set. I sourced exact same for £12.86 delivered.

If you help in future pm me as I might be able to help.

PS I also added a remote control with 2 handsets for it for princely sum of £3 using a 4x4 winch controller.

Thanks Blazeaway, ii will be looking into it further next week, I've checked out the system at the thruster itself, but i am always drawn back to the panel itself, but want to investigate further, will strip off and check, have a feeling its behind panel, pretty sure wire connections making and breaking, bad connections, will get back to you if i have problem.

• 1 month later...

Elektrotechnik-Gomes
Mario Augusto Pereira Ferreira

Gomes
Achter der Borg 20

59755 Arnsberg Fon: 02932 / 22654 Fax: 02932 / 23291

elektrotechnik-gomes@gmx.de www.elektrotechnik-onlineshop.eu
Kunden-Nr.: 061080 Bestell-Nr.: 62195 Datum: 17.10.2017

Part num BSX-33

Desc Carbon brushes Starter Bosch

Size mm9x20x28,5

4 brushes in the pack

Cost 13.00 euro delivered.

• 1 month later...

Hi all ,New to forum and wanted to pass on recent bow thruster brushes issues.

After finding out my Vetus 95 brushes needed replacing, Contacted Vetus for spares, to be fair they replied to e-mails sent to them but no brushes till end of Sept 18earliest.

So started trawling Internet and found a company ECP (Midlands ) mailed chap named don all I can say is within 24 hrs  I had ordered 8 brushes with free delivery and cheaper than Vetus, Don was really helpful.

So if you struggle getting replacement brushes for any bow thruster try them I'm sure you find same friendly quick service like I had.

hope this can be of help to anyone.

cheers Steve

• Greenie 1