Gayton to Cambridge and beyond

Timx

Featured Posts

Went through Wellingborough yesterday with the hope of mooring overnight. Guide book says (The River Nene - Iain Smith) wrote:

The 100 yards of official moorings which have recently been refurbished by Wellinghaborough District Council together with the 'unofficial mooring area' by the Embankment Wall have now been supplemented by a further 50 yards of moorings provided by the EA.

Some of the general space available in this area however, has been restricted by the presence of large rocks placed by the council to stabilise the wall. Signs have been erected confirming where the mooring is no longer permitted on this stretch....

There were some spaces by the pumpout and waterpoint facilities, but we couldn't really find a mooring, there was (I think) a couple of rough moorings, but our eyes was on stopping at the Embankment, and once we'd passed there was no going back.  

I'm no engineer, but doesn't look to me the large rocks were placed to stabilise the wall, it looks like the council doesn't want boaters. Of course I don't know the history here. We moored in the end on a secluded FOTRN mooring.

Loving the crystal clear water. We past only two boats on the move yesterday on our 6 hour journey. Don't think we seen an continuous moorer since we joined the Nene.

11-5.jpg

On 9 June 2018 at 10:28, john6767 said:

It is a fantastic mooring location, worth the £4 to moor.  The EA water point is of course free, but is rather close to the bridge for my liking, but I did use it to fill drinking water bottles.

I ended up staying there last night, but about quarter eleven, the boater returned to his boat and started his generator up. I went round and asked him to turn it off, he said he wouldn't as he had just returned from abroad for three weeks and needed electricity. A heated argument ensued, but in the end before it escalated further I said I would ring the police and returned to my boat.Five minutes later he turned it off.I have informed E.A. I spoke with the landowner who told me he has told E.A. He has broken down and will move when he gets a part. Apparently he is working in a local stable. So if passing don't moor there, moorings are better on other side of bridge.

Also I found out that you can not now moor at the unofficial moorings at Oundle between the bridges as the land owner had trouble with moorers over staying and putting things on the bank etc setting up home, so he doesn't want anyone mooring there now.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Timx said:

I ended up staying there last night, but about quarter eleven, the boater returned to his boat and started his generator up. I went round and asked him to turn it off, he said he wouldn't as he had just returned from abroad for three weeks and needed electricity. A heated argument ensued, but in the end before it escalated further I said I would ring the police and returned to my boat.Five minutes later he turned it off.I have informed E.A. I spoke with the landowner who told me he has told E.A. He has broken down and will move when he gets a part. Apparently he is working in a local stable. So if passing don't moor there, moorings are better on other side of bridge.

Also I found out that you can not now moor at the unofficial moorings at Oundle between the bridges as the land owner had trouble with moorers over staying and putting things on the bank etc setting up home, so he doesn't want anyone mooring there now.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Real shame that people spoil things for others.  The other side of the bridge looked good, but there is only space for a few boats if I remember correctly.

The moorings on the other side are easier to moor up, you don't have to climb a bank, and are less overgrown, I think you could get two or three boats along there. And there are more further around the corner where the price drops to £4 from £5

Anyone coming down to Peterborough, don't get your prop near the gate at Asda, as there is a trolley right below it.I hit it,but couldn't get it out, be warned,I will e mail e.a. If I still can't get through on phone.

• Greenie 1

On 12/06/2018 at 08:00, Jennifer McM said:

Don't think we seen an continuous moorer since we joined the Nene.

You mean the one in Wellingborough wasn't at home?

Look out for the one under the A14.

On 15 June 2018 at 19:32, Loddon said:

You mean the one in Wellingborough wasn't at home?

Look out for the one under the A14.

Ha, I noticed that guy as we came through, but I think he had learning difficulties, as he spoke to me as I went past, he was nice and pleasant though.

other things I have noticed on this trip are the moorings just along from the five bells pub are excellent apart from being next to the road, and the pub has a tv to watch the football, as does the pub earlier on , the globe, but I couldn't get a good mooring, only enough room for a little boat, silted up further back to get your stern in considering the bridge.

the lady at Marymount lock is lovely, very informative and still does the locking if you can't get there first, well worth a drink tip for just being lovely.

the moorings at March are not good opposite the service station, absolutely covered in duck crap, and my boat is now covered in cement like bird poo after two nights there, moor at next pub along. If you get a pump out there, it's £13.50 from community shop round the corner, but before you buy a token try using it without one first, just press the pause button and it may come on, I left it on pause.

9 hours ago, Timx said:

Ha, I noticed that guy as we came through, but I think he had learning difficulties, as he spoke to me as I went past, he was nice and pleasant though.

other things I have noticed on this trip are the moorings just along from the five bells pub are excellent apart from being next to the road, and the pub has a tv to watch the football, as does the pub earlier on , the globe, but I couldn't get a good mooring, only enough room for a little boat, silted up further back to get your stern in considering the bridge.

Yours must have been one of the two blue boats moored on the Upwell staithe yesterday morning as we went past in the car. You're lucky that the Five Bells was available; it was closed for about two years after a local potato merchant bought it and found that the seller had rather understated the amount of work which needed to be done on the building. It reopened only about four weeks ago.

A few years ago, Duncan and Lesley at The Globe let their mooring out to a 60-footish widebeam which stayed there for several months. That made passing through New Bridge (the one only yards from the pub) very interesting, especially for another widebeam.

Yeah , I could of got in at the globe, but bow seemed to close to the bridge and stern was sticking out into the channel because of the silt, glad I moved on though as moorings at 5 bells are pleasant enough.

• 2 weeks later...

On he way down I note there is a large amount of moorings opposite the water point and official moorings at st Neots , not marked on the guide book or on any electronic guide I am using. I would of gone past if hadn't noticed. Strange there not marked. Just saying if anyone else is coming this way .The priory centre has loud music on till late at weekend so opposite on the park may be more suitable for some

image.jpg

Edited by Timx
Pic added