Gayton to Cambridge and beyond

Timx

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, john6767 said:

If you go into a marina then ask at the office if it is ok to use the services, they will either say fine go ahead, or tell you what it costs.  As it costs them to provide water or remove waste it seems reasonable to expect the company to charge for you for their use.  I don’t see that paying the Navigation authority for a licence has any relevance except in the case of the Northampton one where the marina is EA, and I thought the facilities there were for general use?

I was about to make that point. On the other hand, the licence does include my favourite water point on the entire system ...DSCF3473.JPG.a3a91dd5b9204e501d05606fcafb92c5.JPG

57 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I was about to make that point. On the other hand, the licence does include my favourite water point on the entire system ...DSCF3473.JPG.a3a91dd5b9204e501d05606fcafb92c5.JPG

It is a fantastic mooring location, worth the £4 to moor.  The EA water point is of course free, but is rather close to the bridge for my liking, but I did use it to fill drinking water bottles.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

If you go into a marina then ask at the office if it is ok to use the services, they will either say fine go ahead, or tell you what it costs.  As it costs them to provide water or remove waste it seems reasonable to expect the company to charge for you for their use.  I don’t see that paying the Navigation authority for a licence has any relevance except in the case of the Northampton one where the marina is EA, and I thought the facilities there were for general use?

Thank you, this is what I'm asking. No problem if the Marinas are private, although maybe... TOC for a Marina 'might' be to service boaters. I'm just trying to understand how things work. Asking at the marina costs nothing. 

5 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Great mooring, but you'll need a brushcutter for the nettles to use the water point!

I can't see anywhere between oundle and Peterborough for a pump out, is that right, ? And if so can you buy a token for the one in Peterborough .? Thanks

Also where is it best to moor in Peterborough, as I will be there at least 24 hrs b4 going through lock to mid levels.Thanks

7 hours ago, Timx said:

I can't see anywhere between oundle and Peterborough for a pump out, is that right, ? And if so can you buy a token for the one in Peterborough .? Thanks

Also where is it best to moor in Peterborough, as I will be there at least 24 hrs b4 going through lock to mid levels.Thanks

I think the one at Peterborough is still open, there is a bit of confusion as the Elsan disposal has been demolished / refurbished although the City Council who provide the facility are supposed to be providing a temporary one.   You can see the Elsan block in this photo. This boat was stuck here for several months. Probably coins not tokens. Not sure about March - I don't have  a pumpout.

Nice moorings along the embankment / Town Quay - on the left after you have gone under the two railway bridges and the main road bridge (Town bridge). There is good access to a supermarket (Asda I think) just after the second railway bridge , just tie up to the railings and climb over or open the gate if you can spot that.

DSCF3515.JPG.5e4853f50829fc6f3e6ba51cbe1f8635.JPGDSCF6340.JPG.33483318c10ecc7c2586aeefb8c9ce1a.JPG

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

PS there is a pumpout at March, provided by the local council  Para 14 here. The problem is that there is no access to the outside world from the wharf, so you have to tie up somewhere else, go buy the token, and then move the boat....

https://middlelevel.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/NavNotes18-web.pdf

On 09/06/2018 at 09:29, Scholar Gypsy said:

Never actually used the water point but there is an Elsan in the campsite by the castle remains. 

Peterborough pump out is open and free to use.  Three cabinets on the embankment, that is two pump out and one water. One locked box (the left hand of two) on the wall of the elsan building in the photo, this contains a press button time switch for the pump out. Pump out hoses etc are in average condition, you may need to use you own hose to rinse.  If the pump out is not sucking when you've pressed the time switch, then look at the other cabinet and make sure the valve is shut there (DAMHIK!).

Mooring all along the same stretch of embankment, but the further you moor from Asda, the quieter it gets.  There were many (apparently) long stayers when we were there, together with various tent dwellers in the park - but generally nothing to worry about.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

19 hours ago, Timx said:

Hi Timx,

Nice to meet you the other day ☺️

If you want a quiet night (The fair is on at the moment on The Embarkment) and dont need to walk to the shops-you carry on past the turn off for Stanground as if you are heading for Dog in a doublet lock. Very quiet and deserted...

Today we popped into Billing Marina. It was a bit like a 'mystery tour' as there wasn't any signage for directions, except for a leaflet on Billing Lock. We turned left just before the bridge, and tentatively ventured into the narrow entrance. Anyone venturing into the marina should take care and not go too far left towards the 'Mill' like we did, and got stuck in the silt ?. Even the pole didn't help much as it just sank into the silt.  Eventually we got going, and managed to glide into their service jetty. We topped up the diesel tank with as much as it would hold (about 50 litres) - price 80p/123p a litre. Elsan was free, but there was a trek across the road to use the Elsan point. Disposing of rubbish was no problem. 

Before we set off this morning we phoned White Mills Marina as they issue certificates for 'Friends of the River Nene' - cost £10, which allows us to moor on their moorings. The use of their Elsan was £3, and rubbish "depends" we were told. Don't know how much their diesel charges are. This afternoon we dropped into White Mills Marina, mooring up tonight. As soon as we approached their 'visitors' jetty we were helped to moor by 'Harry' (interesting chap). Over night mooring cost £13, with £2 for a hook up (not that we really need it). As our engine oil was changed yesterday, Harry took the old oil and filter down the road to the recycling centre for us - we tipped him with a fiver for his kindness. As we're moored here Elsan and rubbish is free. 

2 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Hi Timx,

Nice to meet you the other day ☺️

If you want a quiet night (The fair is on at the moment on The Embarkment) and dont need to walk to the shops-you carry on past the turn off for Stanground as if you are heading for Dog in a doublet lock. Very quiet and deserted...

Cheers Paul, will look at that, plan to be there in two or three days, thanks for info.

We moored at oundle marina for the weekend, 15 minute walk to the town, nice pubs. Nice little club bar at front of marina too, and good prices.

£10 a night , and they will give you a hook up from the extensive chandlery.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Timx
  • Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Before we set off this morning we phoned White Mills Marina .............Over night mooring cost £13, with £2 for a hook up (not that we really need it)......

Sorry, sorry.... overnight mooring cost £12! Not £13!  

On 9 June 2018 at 18:51, PaulJ said:

A knife to cut the ropes of the boat that has taken to mooring on there may be helpful too...

Apparently the farmer has contacted E.A ,he said it has been there three weeks, they apparently come back late at night and start there genny up. So we moved on.He said it has no license etc, he charges £5 a night but as they are on the e.a water point not a lot he can do.

28 minutes ago, Timx said:

Apparently the farmer has contacted E.A ,he said it has been there three weeks, they apparently come back late at night and start there genny up. So we moved on.He said it has no license etc, he charges £5 a night but as they are on the e.a water point not a lot he can 

I arrived there late and chap from Calcutt told me much the same-hence my comment, let the river do the work ?Left early so didnt see the farmer- I left a fiver and a note tied to the post in a nan bread wrapper (all I had) -hope the sheep didnt eat it lol.

When you get to Ouse look out at Hilgay Bridge(nr Denver) -you may spot this..

2018-06-11 21.56.48.jpg

2 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

I arrived there late and chap from Calcutt told me much the same-hence my comment, let the river do the work ?Left early so didnt see the farmer- I left a fiver and a note tied to the post in a nan bread wrapper (all I had) -hope the sheep didnt eat it lol.

When you get to Ouse look out at Hilgay Bridge(nr Denver) -you may spot this..

2018-06-11 21.56.48.jpg

Ha fantastic.

Ha, unfortunately, I passed that mooring earlier. It was a confusing mooring, it's private signs were a bit scary, wasn't sure if you could moor there or not, although it had forn on it.