Gayton to Cambridge and beyond

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi, we are approaching Gayton, and plan to go down the Northhampton line. 17 locks hmm, where's best place to stop at? Looking at my book, it's outsideish Morrisons for first overnight stop.

or  am I best pushing on to somewhere better.?

Any tips on the locks , any peculiarities , any tips ?

Any tips on anything new I need to know, I have read previous posts on subject and have joined GOBI ? Will join fortron at marina ?

I will stop at any pubs I can get near to , any tips ?

I plan to spend a couple of months on the E.A waters , in that area , if not more,as have bought a gold license,any tips on where I should go , and not bother going to. I like pubs.

Any helpful tips advice welcomed as all new waters to me. I do have an anchor, and will get the necessary keys at the marina.?.

I know retirement with no problem has an excellent guide, but I can't get the page to not keep reloading, must be a problem with my internet.

I have two Imray guides, but looks like I need another.

Anyway thanks for reading my questions , any advice greatfully recieved .

• Greenie 1

Morrisons is great for stocking up. Ive stopped there many times. You could spend the night in Northampton Marina if you prefer more facilities/ security. I prefer to do shopping at Wellingborough cos its got Tesco-water and elsan there too.

Definetly join FOtrn -they got some great moorings. Can highly reccomend stopping at White Mills Marina too but again you will have to pay to stay!

If you are here for a couple of months you will easily explore the Nene, Middle Level, Ouse and its triburaties.

Have you Imray for Ouse and Nene?

There is an online map for middle level and other info here https://middlelevel.gov.uk/navigation/

Northampton marina site has loads of info -I would sign up for SSA while you are here too- https://www.northamptonmarina.co.uk

Enjoy!!

Edited by PaulJ
  • Happy 1

8 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Morrisons is great for stocking up. Ive stopped there many times. You could spend the night in Northampton Marina if you prefer more facilities/ security. I prefer to do shopping at Wellingborough cos its got Tesco-water and elsan there too.

Definetly join FOtrn -they got some great moorings. Can highly reccomend stopping at White Mills Marina too but again you will have to pay to stay!

If you are here for a couple of months you will easily explore the Nene, Middle Level, Ouse and its triburaties.

Have you Imray for Ouse and Nene?

There is an online map for middle level and other info here https://middlelevel.gov.uk/navigation/

Northampton marina site has loads of info -I would sign up for SSA while you are here too- https://www.northamptonmarina.co.uk

Enjoy!!

That's great , thank you.

Very useful downloads .

10 hours ago, Timx said:

Hi, we are approaching Gayton, and plan to go down the Northhampton line. 17 locks hmm, where's best place to stop at? Looking at my book, it's outsideish Morrisons for first overnight stop.

Any tips on anything new I need to know, I have read previous posts on subject and have joined GOBI ? Will join fortron at marina ?

I plan to spend a couple of months on the E.A waters , in that area , if not more,as have bought a gold license,any tips on where I should go , and not bother going to. I like pubs.

Any helpful tips advice welcomed as all new waters to me. I do have an anchor, and will get the necessary keys at the marina.?.

I know retirement with no problem has an excellent guide, but I can't get the page to not keep reloading, must be a problem with my internet.

This is a brilliant thread for us (thanks ?), we're planning to start this journey tomorrow, or Tuesday from Napton.

We hope to get as far into Cambridge as we can, and have discovered we can't go further than 'Jesus Lock' on the Cam (have to pay about £50 to go on the Cam, even with a Gold Licence), narrowboats apparently are too dangerous for the punts, and eights that are beyond the lock ?.

NB Alchemy started this journey about a couple weeks ago, they are now on the Middle Levels http://nbalchemy.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the link to n.b. Alchemy's diary. I think we saw them moored at the Three Holes staithe (pleasing local name for a wharf or landing stage) a couple of days ago. I wonder if they have passed our front garden yet on their way to the Great Ouse; I haven't noticed them but then we do sometimes go out.

I use a philips screwdriver that has had the shaft cut down to approx 2 inches long to operate the hand wheels on the Nene locks.Works great.

Some phone numbers for middle levels you will need-

Stanground (must give 24hr notice) 07824600470

Marmot Priory 078248217737

Salters Lode 01366382292

If you are more than 60ft let Salters Lode know you are coming.

The best bit of the Ouse starts at Popes Corner where you turn off for Cam...

Going that way myself tomorrow so will watch out for you all-I am in a 67ft Tug ☺☺☺

• Happy 1

....whose name is...?

"Marmot Priory" conjures up a pleasing image of the little furry creatures gambolling by the waterside; but it's actually "Marmont".

Thanks, Paul, for posting that useful information.

Look out for the house with the wisteria as per my avatar. The boat is no longer moored there.

33 minutes ago, Athy said:

....whose name is...?

"Marmot Priory" conjures up a pleasing image of the little furry creatures gambolling by the waterside; but it's actually "Marmont".

Look out for the house with the wisteria as per my avatar. The boat is no longer moored there.

We'll be sure to toot you ?

1 hour ago, Athy said:

....whose name is...?

I not sure the lockeeper would like being described as such either lol. 

I have passed your house many times but never spotted you yet.. will be on a beaut of a tug called Clancy J..

The Northampton Arm starts with the Rothersthorpe flight, 12 locks close together, so as always in such situations make sure you start to fill the lock below before you empty the one you're in. Be aware there's a man called Leon who offers to help boaters on the flight, often in the hope of getting paid a bit, and it has been suggested that he'll sometimes drain a pound in an attempt to generate himself some work. I'm not sure whether that's true, but on one occasion when I went up the flight it did seem plausible. But some have found him helpful.

4 hours ago, Peter X said:

Be aware there's a man called Leon who offers to help boaters on the flight, often in the hope of getting paid a bit, and it has been suggested that he'll sometimes drain a pound in an attempt to generate himself some work. I'm not sure whether that's true, but on one occasion when I went up the flight it did seem plausible. But some have found him helpful.

Ive come across Leon many a time- hes always left the locks set ahead of me (free!) and I dont doubt he has his faults - but I have to say he does a good job putting boats through and works them efficiently. If you dont want his services just tell him. Simple.

12 hours ago, PaulJ said:

I not sure the lockeeper would like being described as such either lol. 

I have passed your house many times but never spotted you yet.. will be on a beaut of a tug called Clancy J..

Ah, not the boat I thought. As we passed Upwell staithe today I saw a very handsome looking trad boat called Eclipse moored there, thought that was perhaps you.

By then I shall be, D.v., on a hire boat on the Canal de Garonnbe. Hope to see you on your return journey.

Kebab shop? Ah, the little Indian take way place in Outwell, which looks like a converted garage because that's what it is? When it opened a few years ago it was called 'Vindaloo'. They pushed a menu leaflet through our letterbox. I perused the list of available curries. It did not include a vindaloo.

On 03/06/2018 at 23:03, Athy said:

Ah, not the boat I thought. As we passed Upwell staithe today I saw a very handsome looking trad boat called Eclipse moored there, thought that was perhaps you.

Thanks for the compliment Athy. What a lovely mooring Upwell Staithe is, although a trifle noisy on a Monday morning from the traffic.  We are now on the Ouse, not far from Ely.

On 02/06/2018 at 21:25, Timx said:

Sorry not to have spotted this before. I moor at Ely, and have covered pretty much every inch of the Fenland system. Very little i would reccomend against, but do take your time to explore eg Thetford forest, Wicken Fen (which is just fabulous).  Lots of photos and some words here: https://nbsg.wordpress.com/contents/.  Join GOBA if you have not already done so.

On the Cam:

* the annual licence is about £25, if you have a  gold licence. Buy online

* the bulk of the rowers are between Baitsbite and Jesus Locks

* the main bumping races are 13-16th June. You can go up and down the course between the divisions (which occur every 45 minutes) just ask the marshals or work it out from here. This is a challenging bit of navigation - time is short and there are dozens of rowing eights on a congested piece of river. I will be there on Saturday 16th  http://www.cucbc.org/mays/times

* powered boats are not allowed above Jesus lock in the summer. In the winter you can go all the way through Cambridge.  See video below.

* visitor moorings are very limited. Get there at lunchtime and you may be OK!

I would strongly recommend the Bedford Ouse.

Happy to answer any questions.

• Greenie 1

My observations so far is that it's a fantastic river, but the Imrie guide is out of date, a lot of there mooring points are not there anymore. Fortron have some good wild moorings, but looks like you have to get there early to get them , which we never are. Google maps has been great, we are moored on somewhere not in any guide book or pamphlet, but google maps says unofficial mooring and its 5 minutes from pub that Imray says is closed. The marina at White mills is very expensive for diesel and gas, £80 for under 40 litres and a gas bottle. Even at a 60 / 40 split still expensive. I never asked price first, doh.

Looking forward to rest of journey.

6 hours ago, Timx said:

It looks like you have to moor overnight in a marina, just to empty your bin though, which is a bit poor.

It's a river, not a CRT waterway. I think the best description of the Imrays guides is idiosyncratic...  In general I would advise on rivers that you start early and moor up early!

On 07/06/2018 at 22:21, Scholar Gypsy said:

Sorry not to have spotted this before. I moor at Ely, and have covered pretty much every inch of the Fenland system. Very little i would reccomend against, but do take your time to explore eg Thetford forest, Wicken Fen (which is just fabulous).  Lots of photos and some words here: https://nbsg.wordpress.com/contents/.  Join GOBA if you have not already done so.

On the Cam:

* the annual licence is about £25, if you have a  gold licence. Buy online

* the bulk of the rowers are between Baitsbite and Jesus Locks

* the main bumping races are 13-16th June. You can go up and down the course between the divisions (which occur every 45 minutes) just ask the marshals or work it out from here. This is a challenging bit of navigation - time is short and there are dozens of rowing eights on a congested piece of river. I will be there on Saturday 16th  http://www.cucbc.org/mays/times

* powered boats are not allowed above Jesus lock in the summer. In the winter you can go all the way through Cambridge.  See video below.

* visitor moorings are very limited. Get there at lunchtime and you may be OK!

I would strongly recommend the Bedford Ouse.

Happy to answer any questions.

Thanks for the advice and the clip, reminds me of the 'wacky races' ?

Just wondering how Marinas view boaters using their facilites without buying anything from them? We dropped into Northampton Marina yesterday to dispose of a bag of rubbish, though we did buy a key from them. I noticed the staff at the Marina had an EA badge on their shirts, so presume the marina is owned by the EA?  I'd like to drop into Billing tomorrow to use their sanny services, but wonder if we need to find something to purchase ?

46 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Thanks for the advice and the clip, reminds me of the 'wacky races' ?

Just wondering how Marinas view boaters using their facilites without buying anything from them? We dropped into Northampton Marina yesterday to dispose of a bag of rubbish, though we did buy a key from them. I noticed the staff at the Marina had an EA badge on their shirts, so presume the marina is owned by the EA?  I'd like to drop into Billing tomorrow to use their sanny services, but wonder if we need to find something to purchase ?

I didn't have a problem at Billing. The Elsan sluice (very clean when I was last there) is really part of the campsite, rather than the boatyard. Just moor at the visitor moorings in the NW corner.  I asked in reception on the other side of the main access road. I might have bought an icecream. The other Elsan point I  used was at Willy Watts, a bit basic and hard to find (piece of wood on a pipe sticking up out of the ground). I can do a map if you like!billing.jpg.08025033bc73c893f9fd78d80db46088.jpg 

My experience is most places on the Fens are fine if you ask nicely, and don't assume you have a right to use the facilities.

12 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I didn't have a problem at Billing. The Elsan sluice (very clean when I was last there) is really part of the campsite, rather than the boatyard. Just moor at the visitor moorings in the NW corner.  I asked in reception on the other side of the main access road. I might have bought an icecream. The other Elsan point I  used was at Willy Watts, a bit basic and hard to find (piece of wood on a pipe sticking up out of the ground). I can do a map if you like! 

My experience is most places on the Fens are fine if you ask nicely, and don't assume you have a right to use the facilities.

Thank you, was looking at Google maps last night and wondered which way to aim. 

I'm thinking about the etiquette, don't want to be cheeky, and wouldn't mind paying for the services, or buying something. But... on the other hand, we've paid for the licence.  I'm just trying to the right thing.

Great info Simon, I appreciate your help ?

31 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Thank you, was looking at Google maps last night and wondered which way to aim. 

I'm thinking about the etiquette, don't want to be cheeky, and wouldn't mind paying for the services, or buying something. But... on the other hand, we've paid for the licence.  I'm just trying to the right thing.

Great info Simon, I appreciate your help ?

If you go into a marina then ask at the office if it is ok to use the services, they will either say fine go ahead, or tell you what it costs.  As it costs them to provide water or remove waste it seems reasonable to expect the company to charge for you for their use.  I don’t see that paying the Navigation authority for a licence has any relevance except in the case of the Northampton one where the marina is EA, and I thought the facilities there were for general use?