Fire extinguishers

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, George and Dragon said:

We're due a BSS inspection this month and I had a quick look at our fire extinguishers. They have a date of manufacture stamped on them but nothing else I could see that would show whether they would still be effective apart from the little (pressure?) gauge. 

Is this all that's required?

Yes (as long as they are in the green)

I wouldn't overly worry, our BSS examiner passed our that were 5 years past their USE BY DATE.

However, for me, extinguishers are something for MY safety and MY piece of mind, like an anchor and life jackets. Even if the BSS didn't require them I would still have them.

Now I thought that the fire extinguisher had to be pressure tested after 10 years. If & when that new pressure test has ben done then it becomes due every 5 yars.

This is why extinguishers should be replaced every 10 years as it is not ecconomic to do this retesting. 

10 minutes ago, DaveR said:

Now I thought that the fire extinguisher had to be pressure tested after 10 years. If & when that new pressure test has ben done then it becomes due every 5 yars.

This is why extinguishers should be replaced every 10 years as it is not ecconomic to do this retesting. 

You are maybe thinking of the 'commercial world' we have to have our extinguishers tested every year, and 1/3 of them discharged / recharged each year

The BSS requirements are a little simpler :

Portable fire extinguishers must be in good general condition, and
must not show any of the following indicators of poor condition:
• missing safety pin;
• dents; gouges; significant rust or other form of corrosion;
perished hose;
• pressure gauge (where fitted) indicator in the ‘red’ sector;
• having passed the manufacturer’s express ‘expiry’ or ‘replace
by’ date;
• obvious under‐weight indicating whole or partial discharge;
• signs of damage to trigger assembly, including deterioration
caused by ultraviolet light and heat.

The pressure test of an extingiusher shell only applies above a certain volume and after a certain age. I do not think it applies to small sizes used on boats. My work extinguisher service man recommends they are replaced every 5 years. If you ever have to use a small powder extinguisher you will see just how quickly the run out so it is important they fully work

3 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Thanks @MHS. I'll do that :)

Our bss was back in April, I had the same concerns as you. As someone told me, give them a good dust so they look clean, and you’ll be fine. 

On 02/06/2018 at 13:16, Alan de Enfield said:

I wouldn't overly worry, our BSS examiner passed our that were 5 years past their USE BY DATE.

I must have a good look at mine to check if they have an expiry date. If they have a USE BY DATE, do I have to start a fire then use them? Not clear whether the words would be advisory or an instruction.

19 minutes ago, Opener said:

I must have a good look at mine to check if they have an expiry date. If they have a USE BY DATE, do I have to start a fire then use them? Not clear whether the words would be advisory or an instruction.

Good question - my actually said "valid until"

Extinguisher 1.jpg