Where is this?

fittie

Featured Posts

Yes, it's the path over the Hincaster tunnel. A nice little walk along the northern reaches of the Lancaster canal about 5 miles from Kendal. This is the southern portal which can be seen from the A590 as you drive into the Lakes.IMG_1134.jpg.ffda9472f8b8fa97acf842dc7289970c.jpg

1 minute ago, fittie said:

Yes, it's the path over the Hincaster tunnel. A nice little walk along the northern reaches of the Lancaster canal about 5 miles from Kendal. This is the southern portal which can be seen from the A590 as you drive into the Lakes.IMG_1134.jpg.ffda9472f8b8fa97acf842dc7289970c.jpg

One day we'll hopefully be sailing again through that but I'm not holding my breath! It's a fabulous walk from Tewitfield, the present northern terminus of the navigable Lancaster canal, to its original terminus in Kendal; 14 miles and catch the bus back.

It is the horse path over the tunnel with 3 little bridges over where the path is in a small cutting. The first and last are probably the same age as the tunnel its self the one under the railway a little younger and not the same shape.

I was asked to look into the condition of culverts along the northern reaches but I could not see the point of spending any council funds when the canal bed is not complete. Part of the A590 in on/over the canal bed. It would be great to see the canal re open but some of the engineering needed and cost is huge. I think that some of the canal was filled in with waist from Kendal which will have to be removed plus there are homes that seem to have been built very, very close the the line of the bed if not actually on it.

I must confess that I don't really follow the goings on regarding the owd lanky even though I live near it. I ain't going to live long enough to see it, nor my kids.

Edited by fittie

I used to live just up the road from Hincaster (the name is interesting, suggesting a Roman origin though no remains have ever been found) and the horse path is a scheduled Ancient Monument - not the tunnel itself as is often wrongly assumed.

Forget the Northern Reaches restoration - it will never happen.  I used to report for Waterways World on the "project" which right from day one never looked like it was feasible.  Not sure what was going on really, empire building, politics, whatever it's sad that a lot of well minded folk have been led up and down the garden path and some even now are still deluded enough to think Kendal will be linked to the network one day. 

48 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I used to live just up the road from Hincaster (the name is interesting, suggesting 

Forget the Northern Reaches restoration - it will never happen.  I used to report for Waterways World on the "project" which right from day one never looked like it was feasible.  Not sure what was going on really, empire building, politics, whatever it's sad that a lot of well minded folk have been led up and down the garden path and some even now are still deluded enough to think Kendal will be linked to the network one day. 

Sadly, I think you are probably right; especially when you walk the old route and see the work that would be required. There's a very active group who aren't giving up though: https://www.lctrust.co.uk