Anyone near a boat called magel or smiler with solar panels on the roof?

leeco

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

And why the delay in looking for them?

Perhaps because, like many boaters, he does not use his boat during the winter. They aren't all as hardy as you, you know.

Would like to know where his boat was when the theft took place just to gauge how far and which direction the suspect boat has moved and where it could be heading, if it is the boat near Dewsbury.

Edited by PD1964

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Perhaps because, like many boaters, he does not use his boat during the winter. They aren't all as hardy as you, you know.

In 4 or 5 months the alleged boat could be anywhere in the Uk.

At 20 miles per day it could have travelled around 2,000 miles and even be back where it started from.

It wouldn't need to move that much if it has solar panels to charge the batteries...

Seriously, it sounds like the OP needs to gather together the available evidence then present it to the police. There doesn't appear to be enough evidence so far.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

So a theft took place at some point over the winter, which is several months, and the OP then expects people to look out for a boat which may or may not have the panels.

Sorry but if you can't be arsed to look at your boat for months at a time then quite frankly I can't be arsed to look for a boat that may or may not have your solar panels. Tough luck.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Sorry but if you can't be arsed to look at your boat for months at a time then quite frankly I can't be arsed to look for a boat that may or may not have your solar panels. Tough luck.

Bloody hell. And that nice Mr Athy accused me of being "jarringly dismissive"!!

(Even though I accept, he has a valid point ;) )

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Bloody hell. And that nice Mr Athy accused me of being "jarringly dismissive"!!

(Even though I accept, he has a valid point ;) )

Sorry but sympathy is zero in this case.

37 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

So a theft took place at some point over the winter, which is several months, and the OP then expects people to look out for a boat which may or may not have the panels.

Doesn’t say he couldn’t be arsed visiting the boat over winter or when he noticed them stolen, he said he JUST been informed which boat may have stole his panels.

Edited by Robbo

17 hours ago, Robbo said:

Doesn’t say he couldn’t be arsed visiting the boat over winter or when he noticed them stolen, he said he JUST been informed which boat may have stole his panels.

Now now don't let truth get in the way of a rant! Some people enjoy being shouty. 

Slightly off topic, has anyone got any instructions for lift bridges? 

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

Now now don't let truth get in the way of a rant! Some people enjoy being shouty. 

Slightly off topic, has anyone got any instructions for lift bridges? 

Very off topic, here's one topic discussing methods used:

6 years ago but still pretty relevant I think. I see you contributed to it, understandable if you've forgotten that after 6 years.

My recommendation in a nutshell: Try to avoid being single handed for them.

6 hours ago, Peter X said:

Very off topic, here's one topic discussing methods used:

6 years ago but still pretty relevant I think. I see you contributed to it, understandable if you've forgotten that after 6 years.

My recommendation in a nutshell: Try to avoid being single handed for them.

I think he said lift, not swing

Boat to bridge

moor up

get off boat

lift bridge

return to boat 

go through bridge

repeat mooring up 

walk back to bridge 

drop bridge

walk back to boat 

untie and cruise off

next week how to tie your shoelaces

of course you can just lurk about till someone comes the other way and zip through shouting thanks id help but...

46 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Boat to bridge

moor up

get off boat

lift bridge

return to boat 

go through bridge

repeat mooring up 

walk back to bridge 

drop bridge

walk back to boat 

untie and cruise off

next week how to tie your shoelaces

of course you can just lurk about till someone comes the other way and zip through shouting thanks id help but...

You are missing the point. The difficulty is doing lift bridges where the landing stages are on the opposite side to the bridge operating side. Once you've opened the bridge, you are trapped on the opposite side of the cut to your boat. 

Now I know this isn't that difficult to figure out a way around this problem but Rachel claimed back in the day she had a written explanation of how, then failed to produce it. Peeps here have long memories and she came up with reams of excuses for not posting her explanation, so will not let it drop. 

She has no such explanation obviously, but it is fun goading her over it. ;)

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You are missing the point. The difficulty is doing lift bridges where the landing stages are on the opposite side to the bridge operating side. Once you've opened the bridge, you are trapped on the opposite side of the cut to your boat. 

Now I know this isn't that difficult to figure out a way around this problem but Rachel claimed back in the day she had a written explanation of how, then failed to produce it. Peeps here have long memories and she came up with reams of excuses for not posting her explanation, so will not let it drop. 

She has no such explanation obviously, but it is fun goading her over it. ;)

Yes - I remember not seeing that.

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You're joking.... the squabble rumbled on for a couple of years!

And still gets dragged up ocassionally, as here.

I’ve been pondering on bringing it back up but I figured if I waited long enough someone else would ;)

So come on, NC, where’s this definitive guide :D

If Rachel actually understood how to operate single handed the lift bridges with landings opposite to the bridge helm, she would probably have explained it whether or not her document exists anywhere other than in her imagination. 

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I’ve been pondering on bringing it back up but I figured if I waited long enough someone else would ;)

So come on, NC, where’s this definitive guide :D

Is it somewhere near a boat called magel or smiler?

I've never need to do it because as crew for other people I rarely do any single handed boating, but isn't the answer like roland elsdon's method except that you have to be agile enough to tie the boat to the offside, climb on and off the bridge, then do the same again after motoring through? This might be difficult depending on what's there to tie to and climb on.