Anyone near a boat called magel or smiler with solar panels on the roof?

leeco

Featured Posts

The reason I want to know is I’ve had my solar panels stolen over the winter and it totally destroyed my whole battery banks and just been informed who took em.

if this boat does have them I could easily recognise them 

In which case would it not be better to involve the Police.

When applying for a licence you sign to say that C&RT can release your personal details, so if the Police asked for the details on the boat owner they could no doubt track them down.

Just hunting for a boat on 'someones say-so' smacks of vigilante tactics

vigilante
ˌvɪdʒɪˈlanti/
noun
noun: vigilante; plural noun: vigilantes
  1. a member of a self-appointed group of citizens who undertake law enforcement in their community without legal authority, typically because the legal agencies are thought to be inadequate.
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, oats said:

Which canal?

They got stolen on that canal that goes through dewsbury 

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In which case would it not be better to involve the Police.

When applying for a licence you sign to say that C&RT can release your personal details, so if the Police asked for the details on the boat owner they could no doubt track them down.

Just hunting for a boat on 'someones say-so' smacks of vigilante tactics

vigilante
ˌvɪdʒɪˈlanti/
noun
noun: vigilante; plural noun: vigilantes
  1. a member of a self-appointed group of citizens who undertake law enforcement in their community without legal authority, typically because the legal agencies are thought to be inadequate.

I’m not planning on doing anything I just want to find the boat and check it out call the police if he has my panels. Now I have to spend about £1000 because someone couldn’t buy their own stuff 

6 minutes ago, leeco said:

They got stolen on that canal that goes through dewsbury 

Which canal is that I am not familiar with Dewsbury?

13 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Sounds like the Calder and Hebble, although there's an arm that goes up almost into Dewsbury, can't recall its name.

I think that’s the canal.

it wouldn’t bother me so much as I have spare panels but it’s the fact that all my batteries are useless. 

I guesd i shouldnt of left the boat on that network so lesson learned

44 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Dewsbury arm :)

Just remembered, Saville town arm, no idea where that came from but that's how I've heard it referred to.

I'm baffled. You mention two boats, 'Magel' and 'Smiler'. Do you think that these panels were removed by two different people?

The Boat listing has only one Magill; as it's a 24-footer on the Norfolk Broads this is unlikely to be the one. But there are about five boats with "Smiler" in their name, so that's more likely.

Edited by Athy

28 minutes ago, Athy said:

I'm baffled. You mention two boats, 'Magel' and 'Smiler'. Do you think that these panels were removed by two different people?

The Boat listing has only one Magill; as it's a 24-footer on the Norfolk Broads this is unlikely to be the one. But there are about five boats with "Smiler" in their name, so that's more likely.

I think "smiler" is a typo for "similar" here...

I puzzled about it for a while tho!

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I wondered if OP meant magel or similar 

…… hmm. three great minds collide in unison.

Indeed - though would they collide out of unison?

Except that, as the Boat Register shows, there is no eligible Magel (or SIMILAR) on the waterways, whereas there are several Smilers.

It would be wise to get the boat name right from the off, as by putting the wrong name on here or "similar" could lead to problems for similar named boats and false accusations, Why don't you get on a push bike and cycle along the towpath as there's only one route the boat can go if going away from where they were stolen.

Let us know where you were when the theft took place, then we'll know which direction the thief is travelling if it was the boat near the Dewsbury Arm and also the date when they were stolen would help.

Edited by PD1964