A Message from Richard Parry to Boaters

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Thing is, before any sign is printed out the customer is asked to sign it off: there is always someone who can proof read in every organisation, but for some reason, printers' don't seem to think it matter's. It's bizzarr.

Boater's  is short for "of the boater" as in "that is Dick's boat."

Doesn’t matter really though.

5 minutes ago, ianali said:

Doesn’t matter really though.

Standards, professionalism, and attention to detail, it may not matter on Fb, but it matters if one is a professional, and the leader of an organisation which is already under pressure.  

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Standards, professionalism, and attention to detail, it may not matter on Fb, but it matters if one is a professional, and the leader of an organisation which is already under pressure.  

Don’t agree but il let you worry about it, I’m not bothered at all about it.

17 minutes ago, ianali said:

"Don’t agree but il let you worry about it, I’m not bothered at all about it."

I don’t agree, but I'll let you worry about it, I’m not at all bothered about punctuation.

Corrected that for you, though others may not agree.

I am no pedant, but Mr Parry does use a liberal assortment of punctuation marks in his public pronouncements so it's not surprising that mistakes are made. 

Edited by LadyG

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I am no pedant, but Mr Parry does use a liberal assortment of punctuation marks in his public pronouncements so it's not surprising that mistakes are made. 

Thank you Miss.

• Love 1

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

A few years ago, when they were putting in new wooden steps for staff to access culverts, a number of the new gates had a notice on them:  "No public rightaway".

I wondered how many people saw that between some office junior being told to knock up some signs in Word,  and the now laminated signs being fixed to the gate.

29 minutes ago, dor said:

A few years ago, when they were putting in new wooden steps for staff to access culverts, a number of the new gates had a notice on them:  "No public rightaway".

I wondered how many people saw that between some office junior being told to knock up some signs in Word,  and the now laminated signs being fixed to the gate.

Nice one!

Long before computers when people used to have stationery printed with their name and address, I heard of a Mrs. J. Clarke who ordered hers by telephone.

When it arrived her name was printed "Mrs J. Clark-Witheny". 

She had stressed on the phone her name was Clarke, with an 'e'  haha!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

In the jaguar factory at castle Bromwich. "No forklifts passed this point". I couldn't see that sign without thinking "haven't they"?

I would of [sic] thought "Didn't they?"

13 hours ago, LadyG said:

Thing is, before any sign is printed out the customer is asked to sign it off: there is always someone who can proof read in every organisation, but for some reason, printers' don't seem to think it matter's. It's bizzarr.

Glad you're not in charge of spelling.

16 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It just shows a very poor standard of education and is not something one would expect from an (allegedly) professional organisation.

Image result for apostrophe

You are entirely right.  Given the hullabaloo around the whole re-branding - it behoves CRT to get their signage right, so they present themselves as a credible professional organisation.  They just do not need anything that produces a negative reaction, from anyone. It doesn't matter how many people aren't bothered, this is something that could have been 100% correct - and they missed the opportunity - possibly because they were in so much of a hurry to start putting up new signs that the attention to detail was missed.

Nowadays, thank goodness, schools do teach Grammar.  It is true that Richard Parry is of an age when they did not.  In fact when my daughter, born in 1970, became a teacher some twenty years ago, she found that, not only was the  grammar she was expected to teach not taught to her during her training, but she could not fall back on grammar taught at school. By way of contrast, my 11 year old grandson can analyse a sentence and completely understands the value of clauses in parenthesis.  He has no problem at all with possessive pronouns and is irritated by what is known as the 'greengrocers' apostrophe'.

2 minutes ago, Tanglewood said:

Nowadays, thank goodness, schools do teach Grammar.  It is true that Richard Parry is of an age when they did not.

If I had to put money on it however, I would bet that nice Mr Parry neither designed the signs nor checked them for accuracy. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If I had to put money on it however, I would bet that nice Mr Parry neither designed the signs nor checked them for accuracy. 

Agreed.

Every printer I have ever used (from single sheet brochures, to 100+ page catalogues) send a proof for approval before going to print. It is normal for the authorising person to actually sign-off the document so the printer has proof that it was accepted and any errors are therefore the responsibility of the signatory.

It would be unusual for it to be the CEO / MD / Chairman, in my experience it would be someone at a responsible (management) level in the Marketing Department.

4 hours ago, adam1uk said:

Glad you're not in charge of spelling.

You're t'only one 'as as noticed ............... [blizzarely]

but missed t'others, as in "printers' don't seem to think it matter's."

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

He will be more careful the next time they have a re-brand. Rather, his successor will :).

i am just trying to second guess where his next career move will take him. Could it be cement manufacture?

Edited by LadyG

Maybe the Logo is an attempt at 'The Ring Of Bright Water'

Where sun and wind play on a ring of bright water
That's where my heartland will be
The deer on the hill in the first snow of winter
the gull in the sky winging free
I wandered away from the dark crowded city,
Leaving my old life behind,
And came to a place where a ring of bright water,
Dazzled the care from my mind.
So I live with the wonder of the sky and the sea
And I'll always remember who revealed them to me

..................It was Richard Parry

Image result for canal river trust logo

On 06/06/2018 at 21:45, Alan de Enfield said:

On 06/06/2018 at 20:01, Tanglewood said:

Sometimes it all makes sense:

Richard Parry believes there is only one boater ........ 

NantwichServies.jpg

On 06/06/2018 at 21:45, Alan de Enfield said:

It just shows a very poor standard of education and is not something one would expect from an (allegedly) professional organisation.

Image result for apostrophe

9 hours ago, Tanglewood said:

You are entirely right.  Given the hullabaloo around the whole re-branding - it behoves CRT to get their signage right, so they present themselves as a credible professional organisation.  They just do not need anything that produces a negative reaction, from anyone. It doesn't matter how many people aren't bothered, this is something that could have been 100% correct - and they missed the opportunity - possibly because they were in so much of a hurry to start putting up new signs that the attention to detail was missed.

Hmm. Does the existence of a "Boater's Handbook" also imply that there's only one boater? Do the producers of "Woman's Hour" think there's only one woman? Is "The Pocket Idiot's Guide to Grammar and Punctuation" aimed at just one person who might have missed some of the subtleties in, say, the rules for using apostrophes with singular and plural nouns?

I mean, fair enough if you think "Boaters' Facilities" would read better or whatever,  but I think it's stretching a point to suggest that "Boater's Facilities" is grammatically wrong just because there's more than one boater out there.

Edited by magictime

1 hour ago, magictime said:

Is "The Pocket Idiot's Guide to Grammar and Punctuation" aimed at just one person who might have missed some of the subtleties in, say, the rules for using apostrophes with singular and plural nouns?

Yes. It is clearly aimed "at the pocket idiot". 

20 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

In the jaguar factory at castle Bromwich. "No forklifts passed this point". I couldn't see that sign without thinking "haven't they"?

Yes,

One of our local boat clubs splashed out on some very nice hand painted signs.

"Slow down passed moored boats".

They were there quite a few years, but I think they may finally have removed them.

26 minutes ago, Ssscrudddy said:

Thing is, if they can't even get something as simple as spelling punctuation & grammar correct, something we would expect a 16 year old to get right in English O level, then what else are they getting wrong?

Except that, as per my post above (#194), the relevant rules here are not nearly so simple as people are making out - and certainly don't preclude the use of the singular form in constructions like "Boater's Facilities", "Boater's Handbook", "Woman's Hour", "Wheelchair User's Access" etc., even though these things are clearly aimed at more than one boater, woman or wheelchair user. Have you never wondered where (or even whether) to put an apostrophe in "Mother's Day", say? I know I have, and it's not because I don't have a 16-year-old's grasp of simple spelling, punctuation and grammar.

10 minutes ago, magictime said:

Except that, as per my post above (#194), the relevant rules here are not nearly so simple as people are making out - and certainly don't preclude the use of the singular form in constructions like "Boater's Facilities", "Boater's Handbook", "Woman's Hour", "Wheelchair User's Access" etc., even though these things are clearly aimed at more than one boater, woman or wheelchair user. Have you never wondered where (or even whether) to put an apostrophe in "Mother's Day", say? I know I have, and it's not because I don't have a 16-year-old's grasp of simple spelling, punctuation and grammar.

As it's Mothering Sunday it has never caused me problems.

• Greenie 1