Repaint

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Just had a quote from Ben Smith from the lee and stort to repaint my 58foot boat, has anyone seen his work or had work done by him, it's a full sand down, treat rust spots (not many), undercoat where needed then several coats of gloss (craftmaster). 3,600 quid inc sign writing, I will ask to see his work before deciding have seen it on Facebook but not in the flesh yet.

Neil

That seems remarkably cheap, particularly for your part of the world.

Presumably not a 'bare-metal' repaint.

Is he taking off / out the mushrooms, windows etc ?

How long does he anticipate it taking ?

From memory when we had our 45 footer done it took 3 weeks and cost about £5k without signwriting.

This was a 'bare-metal' repaint I (and friends) did after about 12 months - never again, well worth the £5k to watch someone else work.

It was a  40 foot 1999 'Hallmark Millenium' boat that was pretty much the Lada of the waterways and the paint finish was appalling when we bought it in 2002

DSCF0001.JPG

Edited by Alan de Enfield

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yup - our £5k was about 4 or 5 years (two boats) ago.

I remember it seemed about the 'going rate' after checking around.

Over this last winter we had our 58ft share boat painted after taking back to bare metal where needed, filling where appropriate and sanding, before primer & top coats. Including sign-writing this worked out at just over £9,000 we were very pleased with the result. Before anyone comments, we have since stained and re-varnished the doors ourselves! The two brown fenders are a couple I made over the winter from some left over rope and they are not properly in position on purpose. DSCF3436.JPG.e240cdc367a9e742e66d3d1bc6b57e3f.JPG

Howard

1 minute ago, howardang said:

Over this last winter we had our 58ft share boat painted after taking back to bare metal where needed, filling where appropriate and sanding, before primer & top coats. Including sign-writing this worked out at just over £9,000

3 hours ago, Neil Smith said:

Hi all,

Just had a quote from Ben Smith from the lee and stort to repaint my 58foot boat, has anyone seen his work or had work done by him, it's a full sand down, treat rust spots (not many), undercoat where needed then several coats of gloss (craftmaster). 3,600 quid inc sign writing, I will ask to see his work before deciding have seen it on Facebook but not in the flesh yet.

Neil

"Don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar"

You will quite possibly regret it in a couple of years time.

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

It sounds like what's been described.  A quick rub-down to key the old paint, treat a few rust spots then repaint it, cutting in around the fixtures & fittings.

That's what I meant- it's a rush job done in the open which might look pretty when finished but how long will it last.  I suppose you pays your money etc.

Thanks for replies, sorry was at my son's wedding yesterday so couldn't respond but see he painted the electric badge Inc all the sign writing in Paddington basin that is used as a floating class room for kids, was done in 2017 so I will try and track it down for a look. He only paints 4 boats a year and lives on his boat. The price dose not include windows and fittings removal apart from solar panels and only bare metal where rust is. 

Neil

Unless windows etc come out you can never be sure what lies beneath. None of the painters I work with would proceed without removal. I’ve seen many jobs where rust has bubbled up after a quick repaint. I’ve no knowledge of this painter or his work.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I built and painted it  myself 3 years ago and sealed all windows and fittings with sika flex, but it was late October and the paint bloomed, it has been moored under a tree and the sap and bird poo has proved too much for the roof and gunwhales, so I said not to remove all windows as the paint around  them is still like new.

Neil

13 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Unless windows etc come out you can never be sure what lies beneath. None of the painters I work with would proceed without removal. I’ve seen many jobs where rust has bubbled up after a quick repaint. I’ve no knowledge of this painter or his work.

Dave

This^^. I once had a repaint without the windows being removed and rust eventually emerged around every window whilst the rest of the boat was fine.

Most hire and shareboats are repainted annually  withput the windows being taken out, unless there are signs of it leaking. Just a quick rub down and another few coats of paint.

We had two shareboats over 22 years and never had any paint problems or rust following this regime.