Oil change look fun.....

Karrier

Featured Posts

I need to service my ex wife's bmc 2.2, the oil in it is... Well......well past it, as I have only ever changed oil in wheeled vehicles a boat engine is a bit different.

Do I need to get an oil sucker gadget to pull it up through the dipstick tube or is there there a much simpler boat method like drilling a hole in the hull to let it out..... lol.

I want to get it right on hers so I have no trouble when I need to change mine on my bmc 2.52  ?

Edited by Karrier

easiest way is with an oil sucker, look for one of the pela pumps or it's copies, go for the tall thin one rather than the short globe shaped one especially if sucking through dipstick tube, the globe shaped ones can collapse if they have to suck hard (cold oil / thin pipe etc)

an alternative to the dipstick tube is to see if your engine has a low level oil filler (a lot do but I don't know BMC engines) and stick your pipe in there, you can use the thicker pipe which means it can suck a lot faster

You can suck it out via the dip stick hole using an oil vacuum pump. Plenty of those available on Ebay and in chandleries. But most boats have a brass pump attached to the sump plug and that is what is used to empty the sump of old oil.

I did think i saw a brass pump on her engine and wondered if thsts what it was, haven't seen one on my engine though, I do have better access to the sump on mine and worked out I could drain it onto a low profile tray but to be honest I know I would end up making a right mess, that's why trying it out on the ex's first is a good option ?

I will have a better look and if need be will get a vacuum pump from evilbay, thanks for replies. 

It is normal for marinised BMC engines to have a brass oil suction pump similar to the one in the top right hand corner of the engine box in this photo:-

1346357250_28EngineInstalled08.JPG.cb84859d3520c6999c30d706d48ac6a6.JPG

13 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

It is normal for marinised BMC engines to have a brass oil suction pump similar to the one in the top right hand corner of the engine box in this photo:-

1346357250_28EngineInstalled08.JPG.cb84859d3520c6999c30d706d48ac6a6.JPG

I would have said that the brass thing top right is a stern tube greaser (although they are usually located closer to the stern tube). The sump pump is bottom right in that photo.

6 hours ago, David Mack said:

I would have said that the brass thing top right is a stern tube greaser (although they are usually located closer to the stern tube). The sump pump is bottom right in that photo.

That's correct, good spot. Typically I think the 2.2 fitted then on the pother side of the engine with a bracket to two of the exhaust studs.

To the OP, if the oil is really old it may be so think, even when hot, that a Pela pump may not work. Especially if the engine has an engine oil cooler which most don't.

7 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

It is normal for marinised BMC engines....

You'd think so, wouldn't you. Some of the BMCs in our 'distressed engines' have none, some have a quick release connector from being in hire boats

'Normal' and 'BMC' are not guaranteed to go together

Richard

I have a Pela as one of my engines doesn't have an extractor fitted, but I have recently acquired a Nannidiesel ie Kubota which does have a pump.  I wonder if there is any merit in using the Pela nonetheless?  I remember some years ago getting an engineer friend to do the oil change on my BMC and he said it was better to use an extractor than the pump on the engine, presumably because he believed it would extract more of the oil.   

Incidentally, I believe quite a few car engines are now designed to have the oil sucked out with an extractor? 

7 hours ago, David Mack said:

Yes, you are correct, he Brass Oil Extractor is in the bottom right hand corner.

image.png.dd90cd87e92e25c5dc057545a8522940.png

Edited by David Schweizer

18 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I have a Pela as one of my engines doesn't have an extractor fitted, but I have recently acquired a Nannidiesel ie Kubota which does have a pump.  I wonder if there is any merit in using the Pela nonetheless?  I remember some years ago getting an engineer friend to do the oil change on my BMC and he said it was better to use an extractor than the pump on the engine, presumably because he believed it would extract more of the oil.   

Incidentally, I believe quite a few car engines are now designed to have the oil sucked out with an extractor? 

Maybe on a narrowboat but in many cruisers the engine is set at an angle so an oil pump from a sump plug at the back would get more oil out that a sucker half way along the engine. Even so most narrowboats trim down by the stern.

If I am concerned I pour  some cheap oil into the engine and pump it out a couple of times but usually don't bother with modern oil.

I recently bought the cheapest possible 12 volt pump off e bay to save taking a heap of plastic shrouds off the underneath of the car to get to the sump. Its brilliant, no more lying under the car with oil dripping down my arm. Also good for gearboxes with awkward access.

1 hour ago, Bee said:

I recently bought the cheapest possible 12 volt pump off e bay to save taking a heap of plastic shrouds off the underneath of the car to get to the sump. Its brilliant, no more lying under the car with oil dripping down my arm. Also good for gearboxes with awkward access.

If its the Lidel one don't try it with any liquid that may have "bits" in it like from the bottom of the fuel tank. Its a vane pump and the smallest bit jambs it. Then a hidden in-line fuse blows. Thankful I have a Pela that I have used on the car fro years, the boat has a proper drain pump.

Probably worth following the pipework from the Sump pump before using it (if it does even have one)- I recall some early engines had a diverter valve too that could extract either the gearbox or engine oil. May not apply to your engine of course..