Grand Union, South of Milton Keynes

Lily Rose

Featured Posts

Those likely to be affected my or not be aware of the stoppage next week at Stoke Hammond Lock. Closes from Tuesday 4pm to Thursday 8am.

Similarly, the following week (same days), it's the turn of lock 31, Horton Lock.

What they may not be aware, as stoppage notices aren't out yet, is that this is being repeated at other locks further south for at least the two weeks following that. This info came from one of the CRT guys who will be doing the work, as he helped me through a couple of locks today.

14 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Those likely to be affected my or not be aware of the stoppage next week at Stoke Hammond Lock. Closes from Tuesday 4pm to Thursday 8am.

Similarly, the following week (same days), it's the turn of lock 31, Horton Lock.

What they may not be aware, as stoppage notices aren't out yet, is that this is being repeated at other locks further south for at least the two weeks following that. This info came from one of the CRT guys who will be doing the work, as he helped me through a couple of locks today.

Thanks for the info, though I have already received stoppage notices for Stoke Hammond and Horton via email from CaRT,  so hopefully people are aware.

Not correct about there being no stoppage notices.

I was looking last night, for the Stole Hammond one to check dates, and it was there.

Here they are......

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/13132/lock-23-stoke-hammond-lock-grand-union-canal

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/13188/lock-31-horton-grand-union-canal

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

Not correct about there being no stoppage notices.

I was looking last night, for the Stole Hammond one to check dates, and it was there.

Here they are......

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/13132/lock-23-stoke-hammond-lock-grand-union-canal

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/13188/lock-31-horton-grand-union-canal

I was not referring to those two, I know they're out as I received the emails.

I was referring to further lock closures happening over subsequent weeks to repair leaking bottom gates. Those ones are not out yet, or at least I haven't received them yet, so I thought my post might be a useful early warning for people heading up or down this way in a few weeks time.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

I was not referring to those two, I know they're out as I received the emails.

I was referring to further lock closures happening over subsequent weeks to repair leaking bottom gates. Those ones are not out yet, or at least I haven't received them yet, so I thought my post might be a useful early warning for people heading up or down this way in a few weeks time.

Apologies - my mistake.

I'm quite surprised that they are scheduling these kinds of emergency stoppages (if emergency they are?) during the summer months, particularly as each spans more than a day.

When challenged on this in the past they have said they will on;y do so in really severe cases needing urgent attention, so if you are right and several locks will ultimately be tackled, it is not very encouraging that none have been dealt with in the winter and a series of short stoppages is planned now.

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

Apologies - my mistake.

I'm quite surprised that they are scheduling these kinds of emergency stoppages (if emergency they are?) during the summer months, particularly as each spans more than a day.

When challenged on this in the past they have said they will on;y do so in really severe cases needing urgent attention, so if you are right and several locks will ultimately be tackled, it is not very encouraging that none have been dealt with in the winter and a series of short stoppages is planned now.

The chap I was talking to was quite surprised as well and I specifically remember him saying they were being treated as emergency stoppages. He said that when they got to Stoke Hammond yesterday they would start doing a bit of preparatory work but were not allowed to do anything more until exactly 4pm next Tuesday and would then be working until 10pm. Just the setting up work they would then start is normally scheduled for 2 days. 

He did say that after Stoke Hammond they would be moving the work boat south to do Horton the following week (same days and times) then continue on towards Berkhamsted after that. I got the impression that numerous locks are due to be done but he specifically mentioned a further two.

Unfortunately I don't recall which ones they were. But at least anyone reading this and planning on being somewhere between Horton and Berkhamsted during June, and possibly July, can be aware that they may need to adjust their plans a little if/when a relevant stoppage notice comes out. The current notices both came out 2 weeks before the stoppage so the next one will probably be sent out next Wednesday.

Perhaps whilst they are travelling down they can try to remove obstructions behind the bottom tow-path side gates at both Ivinghoe lock 33, and Marsworth lock 42.

Yesterday we got our breasted together ex working boats thoroughly jammed in both!

16 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Perhaps whilst they are travelling down they can try to remove obstructions behind the bottom tow-path side gates at both Ivinghoe lock 33, and Marsworth lock 42.

Yesterday we got our breasted together ex working boats thoroughly jammed in both!

16 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

We'll be going through Stoke Hammond today so if they are there I'll mention those locks but I suspect the boat will be there but not them.

I remember one lock the day before yesterday where the bottom gate, towpath side, stuck out about 9 inches or so, and I had to open the other a little so Mrs Lily Rose could bring the boat out. No doubt that was 33.

Presumably you must have passed us, or us you, in the last day or two. I don't remember seeing your boats though.

Edited by Lily Rose
Remove duplicated quote

33 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Presumably you must have passed us, or us you, in the last day or two. I don't remember seeing your boats though.

I don't know - where are you?

We are in Leighton Buzzard at the moment.

There seems to be a very disjointed approach to planning works at the moment, there has been a mixed team of Crt and contractors carrying out piling to fix a leak on one side of the bridge but they have now moved off, leaving another group scratching their heads looking at the leak 10 yards away on the other side of the bridge! Both issues were identified some time ago. 

8 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I don't know - where are you?

We are in Leighton Buzzard at the moment.

I thought from your post you were going south but I now realise you are going north, same as us. We stopped for shopping on the LB supermarket mooring yesterday lunchtime and have been moored overnight (still there) on a stretch with fine views (no hedge) on the towpath side just north of bridge 110 and the winding hole at Old Linslade. We'll probably leave about 10.30 or 11 and do the Soulbury Three before lunch then Stoke Hammond this afternoon and then stop after 3 or 4 hours cruising.

If it prevents the water shortages of previous years I’m all in favour of short summer stoppages. This time of year they can get in the equivalent of 2 day’s winter work with better light and weather. Hopefully they are able to have flexible working to take advantage of it.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

You mean start at 9.30 and finish at 3 like they do in the Winter.

I was told they would be working until 10pm Tuesday and imagine Wednesday will be the same, following a very early start, as they have far less time for the job than normal. I'm currently moored for lunch behind 4 workboats, including the widebeam that followed us yesterday, just before the lock landing South of Stoke Hammond Lock. No workers around but that's what I was expecting. 

Edited by Lily Rose

The workers were just packing up as we came though, probably around 1:00 pm

I'm genuinely surprised how many boats they have on site for re-lining one set of gates.

I tried to interest one of them in the work flat we had found mid-channel above Leighton lock, and had tried to re-tie with the small amounts of frayed rope that were available.  He didn't seem much interested!

4 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

I thought from your post you were going south but I now realise you are going north, same as us. We stopped for shopping on the LB supermarket mooring yesterday lunchtime and have been moored overnight (still there) on a stretch with fine views (no hedge) on the towpath side just north of bridge 110 and the winding hole at Old Linslade.

Yes that's a very pleasant location, though I notice ever increasing numbers of people think the same!

We were last down this way a year ago, but even in that time I'm sure there are more boats.  Willowbrighe seems to have become wide-beam city.