wyrley essington

haza

Featured Posts

The stoppage has been updated, the repairs will be complete by 6th July.  They are also getting works planned by a 3rd party during the winter,  done now to avoid that further stoppage.  Seems a very positive plan.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/13210/teeces-bridge-stoney-lane-little-bloxwich-wyrley-and-essington-canal

5 minutes ago, AMModels said:

Does that mean the canal is now closed from Wednesfield? Thats a bigger closure and cuts off the Walsall canal from the north. 

Seems like that is what is being proposed from the 18th to the 6th.

Arse and elbow, leaving the advice that the canal through to Walsall is open via wednesfield while also closing wednesfield. We need boaters in CRT who know what it actually means when you close a canal or bridge. Got some questions in with local CRT to see if we are right in our thinking.

I don't understand. Teeces bridge and Church bridge are both on the same section of the W&E. How is this making the problem worse?

MORE! No, I'm wrong

Right, you can navigate to either side of both closed sections. Plus, is it clear that the Church Bridge work closes the canal?

Edited by RLWP

16 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I don't understand. Teeces bridge and Church bridge are both on the same section of the W&E. How is this making the problem worse?

MORE! No, I'm wrong

Right, you can navigate to either side of both closed sections. Plus, is it clear that the Church Bridge work closes the canal?

The notice implies that scaffolding across the canal will prevent navigation. Not sure where the northern winding hole is as I don't recognise Basin Junction but the nearest winding hole if coming from Walsall way would be Hollybank Basin. 

We'll be at Bentley Bridge on Sunday whilst hanging about for a physio appointment so I'll walk up and look. Assuming the arthritis will let me! 

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, pearley said:

The notice implies that scaffolding across the canal will prevent navigation. Not sure where the northern winding hole is as I don't recognise Basin Junction but the nearest winding hole if coming from Walsall way would be Hollybank Basin. 

We'll be at Bentley Bridge on Sunday whilst hanging about for a physio appointment so I'll walk up and look. Assuming the arthritis will let me! 

I reckon Basin junction is new CRT speak for Bentley Canal stub

Edited by AMModels

Just had a quick look at nls maps - 1901 rev pub 1903 25"/mile shows very little development in the area, apart of course from the "Canal Tavern" adjacent to teeces br. 

there appears to be a clear line north of stoney lane which I would take to be the line of the stream, I guess the culvert could be "Original" 

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=52.6267&lon=-1.9929&layers=168&b=5

later revisions also show very little development of the area  north of stoney lane but 7th series (55-61) shows some development south of stoney lane

edited to add - restricted opening hours now on ryders green locks - closed 4pm - 8am due to vandalism

springy

Edited by springy
more restrictions

Just now, springy said:

I wondered that ...  but if ST is happy to pay for the repairs then ...

springy

I've got no problem with that. I was thinking of a couple of bridges around Brum. When the railway had to cross the Garrison flight, they were made to build a rather fancy bridge with some impressive stonework

Similarly, when the Tame Valley was built over the Grand Junction Railway, the BCN paid through the nose

Richard

1 hour ago, springy said:

Today on site - work progressing at a pace - access road laid, culvert excavated, as I left another pump was being placed to clear the water from the actual culvert excavation 

IMG_1366.JPG.52ee4962be511a5ebf79b604be147869.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG.21d3d6622659fdcea452ce45aa532fc3.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG.49c97913db6165d520b6dde7a7a4b6b2.JPG

springy

- but can we trust CRT will check this roadway is removed properly...……

24 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I can't think of a reason why it isn't original - i.e. built at the time the canal was

How do ST end up owning it?

Richard

You would guess because it is part of the surface water drainage scheme in that area.  The good thing is they are getting on with it.  Would they replace it completely with a concrete pipe?

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Would they replace it completely with a concrete pipe?

In some ways that would be best. But on the other hand that would mean excavating the canal banks both sides (and towpath) and reinstating. So significantly more work/cost and perhaps more chance of creating another leakage problem, compared with just replacing the section under the canal bed, which doesn't look to be very far down. And possibly compounded if there are pipes or cables laid in the towpath here.

It may depend on what the condition of the rest of the culvert is like. Or whether they want to take the opportunity to provide a larger replacement.

16 hours ago, springy said:

Today on site - work progressing at a pace - access road laid, culvert excavated, as I left another pump was being placed to clear the water from the actual culvert excavation 

springy

Great pictures of the offending culvert, thank you. I must say I imagined something bigger and something further beneath the canal bed! One safe chucked in the cut at the wrong place, a heavy boat going over the top and its easy to see how it could be damaged. Maybe they didn't have safes in the canals in the 1790s!

Edited by nicknorman

On 13/06/2018 at 16:19, john6767 said:

Here is the new stoppage notice for the 3rd party works

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/12973/church-bridge-wednesfield-wyrley-and-essington

So I guess you could say it makes matters worse as you can’t do a loop using the Walsall.

And now stoppage back to its original November date. 

1 minute ago, springy said:

On site again - the excavation is now a bit deeper, probably about ready for the replacement

IMG_1370.JPG.417f5dcaead39df682d84807719b8786.JPGIMG_1372.JPG.394116020a0c9f8f7a26fffff47b4519.JPG

springy

Great pics again, speaking to some engineers who work on this kind of thing they dont think the replacement will be as easy as just slotting a section of pipe in or redoing the brickwork. Bricking it back up just isnt how they do it these days so it is more likely to be a concrete pipe put in its place but its marrying up the two without creating problems down the line. Theyre interested to see how far back they will excavate in total before they start the actual repair as it were.