wyrley essington

haza

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

I'd expect a coffer dam.  Seems to be the usual CRT method. 

I'd expect planks at two of: Teeces bridge,  Freeths bridge and Little Bloxwich Bridge. Not that far apart on a remaindered canal with alternate routes and no moored boats. Most bridges have stop plank grooves

Let's see what happens

Richard

3 hours ago, haza said:

so much for the valve at chase water theory all boll--cks  again i have been sitting on the canal bed 4 days now 

It’s probably not total bull.  I would wager that the council saw the level in Chasewater was getting low so they turned off the value that supplies the canal, it being turned off by accident was probably a lie by the council, at the end if the day the water is CRT’s and I guess if they want to pour it down a culvert at Bloxwich it is their prerogative, but the council would not be happy.  Thinking that turning on the feed would fix the issue seems very nieve

I guess once the have stop planks or dams in place, then the Wolverhampton side can be filled from Bradley, but is there any other feed to the Pelsall side other than Chasewater, and would they be allowed to take more out now, or would they have to pump round the failure.

6 minutes ago, RLWP said:

It's a lot of water, whichever culvert it is must be pretty full

It is, and I can’t see any sign of a stream around that location on Google maps, not obvious exactly where it is.  Could it be that the water is going into old mine workings?  Would be ironic it it were and the workings were connected to those at Bradley!

2 minutes ago, springy said:

IMG_1284-1.jpg.6895d23cea2ff53d67eb1504bfd02d5f.jpg

as at 5:30 today 

springy

Is that supposed to be a temporary bung?

Just north of teece's bridge, not really sure what its actually doing

at least  I think its north - its the curly wyrley,  pelsall jcn side anyway

springy

Edited by springy
clarify position

6 minutes ago, springy said:

Just north of teece's bridge, not really sure what its actually doing

at least  I think its north - its the curly wyrley,  pelsall jcn side anyway

springy

It looks more like floating stuff that has been gathered up

20 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Not really. I can't see how the Birmingham level is down 6" because of a breach on the higher Wolverhampton level. More of an opinion piece

Richard

No I don’t get that bit either, if the Birmingham level is down I better go check on the boat tomorrow.  What it does have is some pics on what CRT wave been doing on the W&E.

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

No I don’t get that bit either, if the Birmingham level is down I better go check on the boat tomorrow.  What it does have is some pics on what CRT wave been doing on the W&E.

Missed that bit - thank you

27 minutes ago, john6767 said:

The Birmingham level, at least the bit of it at Hockley Port, is NOT down. Top and bottom the normal distance apart.

Would be interested to know how far down the OML is  between Smethwick and Spon Lane, as we may be going that way for a jaunt.

MP.

9 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

The Birmingham level, at least the bit of it at Hockley Port, is NOT down. Top and bottom the normal distance apart.

Would be interested to know how far down the OML is  between Smethwick and Spon Lane, as we may be going that way for a jaunt.

MP.

You beat me to it.  The level on the OML is down compared to a few days ago, but only because it was abnormally high after the torrential rain.  The levels are now normal. 

Hello temporary neighbour!

Edited by Dave_P

12 hours ago, john6767 said:

There is a bit more information about what is happening here https://oldnblist.wordpress.com/2018/06/01/feeling-a-bit-down/

Interesting photos. Came through there on Thursday late morning on our way to Bentley Bridge. There was so much muck across the canal that I just let the boat gloat through it. I was surprised there wasn't a way pushed through it as we'd only passed a boat going the other way a few minutes before. (Who apologised for not being able to manoeuvre as his prop was fouled) 

The only previous breach I've come across had an obvious whirlpool effect on the water. 

35 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Answering my own question, the OML between Smethwick top and Bradeshall Junction is off by 2 inches, 3 at  most.

MP.

Sorry but I would say 4 inches but more likely 5. Currently moored at Oldbury on the old A & D Aquatics pontoon. 3 weeks ago no problem. Today a foot out. 

Mildly amusing to observe the men of the forum disagreeing over the precise measurement of a small number of inches. Nick and Jeff were in the area recently. If they are still around perhaps they could give us an independently calibrated accurate reading. :giggles:

IMG_1286.JPG.43d968ef695d6d187a7a65fbae1082ce.JPG

above taken at about 2:30 - northern side dam framework in progress, at 6:30 the gang were still working, the northern framework was complete and they had started on the southern dam - close to teeces bridge & much shorter span than the northern one. Don't know how late they will be working but I was told that engineers hope to inspect the culvert tomorrow so they've got a bit to do, it's warm there and I reckon they'll deserve a pint when they finish !

springy  

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, pearley said:

Sorry but I would say 4 inches but more likely 5. Currently moored at Oldbury on the old A & D Aquatics pontoon. 3 weeks ago no problem. Today a foot out. 

No. Maybe 4-5 down from the level at the weekend during the storms, but I passed several weirs along the stretch under the M5 and they were not showing that much dry, so only 2-3 from normal levels.

MP.

1 hour ago, MoominPapa said:

No. Maybe 4-5 down from the level at the weekend during the storms, but I passed several weirs along the stretch under the M5 and they were not showing that much dry, so only 2-3 from normal levels.

MP.

Sorry but I disagree. I was at Brownhills on Wednesday so was we placed to see how much it dropped over night. Thursday night Bentley Bridge, Saturday night Oldbury. We've been moored on the pontoon at Whimsey Bridge since midday and the level has come up about an inch now sitting at about 3 inches down. 

Must have been a lot of water heading down to the Staffs and Worcs as according to Birmingham live the locks down the Wolverhampton flight were 20 feet deep last night!

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/firemen-rescue-three-men-20ft-14737320

Edited by Tim Lewis