wyrley essington

haza

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, john6767 said:

I thought that they were not extracting water from Chasewater at the moment, as there was a dispute about who owned the valve which needed fixing.  A bit worrying if it is going down so fast though, there has to be a leak.

The argument as to who is responsible for that worn out valve is still ongoing, so they have reached a compromise and it has been agreed that it will be opened 'as and when they feel it is necessary'. I know it had been opened for a while now in anticipation of the extra boating traffic, but from what the CRT chap told Hazza it looks like somebody had closed it off again.

I have recently heard that an agreement between Staffs County Council and CRT about a long term solution to the problem isn't far off. Lets hope that's true.

From CRT this morning

Good morning Pete

The main reason for the low level looks to be the council who control the valve on Chasewater who turned it off without informing us.  Once you lose a few inches of water over 40 odd miles it’s difficult to get it back and the promised rain didn’t materialise.  As of today from 7.30 am we still haven’t to restore the feed from Chasewater but the council are promising to do so and we are keeping the pressure up.

We don’t believe we have any leaks we are not aware, but we are checking every possible valve  / sluice we can think of. If you come across anything that looks to be out of the ordinary please let us know so we can check it out.

Apologies again and rest assured this will be taken up with the appropriate people in the council.

Last, but not least, we will be increasing the pumping from Bradley so although we can’t promise a fully topped up level we should be able to get it back to a useable level.

Kind regards

Enquiries

West Midlands

i just phoned again and sent photos to is mobile they are working on this ...if the fish where in any danger they would soon be on it ..nothings changed since yesterday ..while im here going of subject ..why is  diesel coming out of the safty valve thanks or do i ask in a new thread

8 minutes ago, haza said:

why is  diesel coming out of the safty valve thanks or do i ask in a new thread

You’ll do much better with a new thread in the maintenance section. 

And best to explain what you mean by safety valve. 

3 hours ago, haza said:

while im here going of subject ..why is  diesel coming out of the safty valve thanks or do i ask in a new thread

If you mean the flame arrestor (like thìs https://www.asap-supplies.com/ventilation/tank-vents), and have recently filled the tank to the brim, then it will be because the diesel is expanding in the hot weather and can only escape through the flame arrestor.

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect

4 hours ago, haza said:

...if the fish where in any danger they would soon be on it .. 

That a very fair point. I'm sure the council wouldn't like a headline. 

"COUNCIL ENDANGER FISH IN ONGOING DISPUTE" 

I was thinking of trying the Wyrley but will be putting it of until this dispute is settled. 

29 minutes ago, reg said:

That a very fair point. I'm sure the council wouldn't like a headline. 

"COUNCIL ENDANGER FISH IN ONGOING DISPUTE" 

I was thinking of trying the Wyrley but will be putting it of until this dispute is settled. 

I think the dispute over the ownership of the valve has be going on for some time, I don't really understand from what has been said here why that should suddenly cause the water levels to be low.  About 5 years ago when Chasewater was drained for repairs to the dam, there was no water supply to the Wolverhapton level from there for a long time, and it managed to survive just on the pumping at Bradley.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

I think the dispute over the ownership of the valve has be going on for some time, I don't really understand from what has been said here why that should suddenly cause the water levels to be low.  About 5 years ago when Chasewater was drained for repairs to the dam, there was no water supply to the Wolverhapton level from there for a long time, and it managed to survive just on the pumping at Bradley.

But that was pre planned and managed. According to CRT the flow from the reservoir was turned off unilaterally. 

Edited by pearley

21 minutes ago, pearley said:

But that was pre planned and managed. According to CRT the flow from the reservoir was turned off unilaterally. 

Given they managed for a year or more when Chasewater was drained, I don’t see that turning it off for a day or two or whatever it was would take it from higher than normal, which it certainly was on Sunday with all the rain, to be 12 inches off normal. That is a awful lot of water that has gone somewhere, and I don’t think it can be explained by lockage.  Sure continuously topping up fron Chasewater could keep the level up, but where has the water gone?

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Given they managed for a year or more when Chasewater was drained, I don’t see that turning it off for a day or two or whatever it was would take it from higher than normal, which it certainly was on Sunday with all the rain, to be 12 inches off normal. That is a awful lot of water that has gone somewhere, and I don’t think it can be explained by lockage.  Sure continuously topping up fron Chasewater could keep the level up, but where has the water gone?

Did someone leave a few paddles open to drain off the surplus, and then not close them all when the level had returned to normal?

Grove basin on the cannock extension is just over 8inch down. On Sunday after the deluge we were nearly 3inches over so we've lost nearly a foot in the space of a week. Speaking to crt this morning they said they were aware of issues and investigating claiming a possible breach.. So far today the levels seem to have stayed the same. I dId see one boat struggling up the extension earlier but I'd suggest he was pushing more silt than water. 

Chasewater is also very low I'm told the levels are to the bottom of the slip. Yet only three weeks earlier it was topping the overflow. 

Curious

Edited by jammin1620

8 minutes ago, jammin1620 said:

Grove basin on the cannock extension is just over 8inch down. On Sunday after the deluge we were nearly 3inches over so we've lost nearly a foot in the space of a week. Speaking to crt this morning they said they were aware of issues and investigating claiming a possible breach.. So far today the levels seem to have stayed the same. I dId see one boat struggling up the extension earlier but I'd suggest he was pushing more silt than water. 

Chasewater is also very low I'm told the levels are to the bottom of the slip. Yet only three weeks earlier it was topping the overflow. 

Curious

That is very interesting, so could they have emptied Chasewater keeping the level up in the canal.  It does tie in with the level dropping sharply when the feed was turned off.

It does seem to make sense. However my understanding was that we don't get a supply from chasewater since they repaired the dodgy valve a few years ago (video on you tube somewhere I believe). 

Edited by jammin1620
Predictive got the better of me..doh

Crt have just visited to say that teeces bridge Bloxwich has a breach in the culvert. Dams are being put in over the next few days.

No evidence was apparent as the water was going down a storm drain. Also theyre pumping from Bradley and using chasewater to try keep it at current level.

Edited by jammin1620

Stoppage notice has just come out, hate to say told you so.....

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/13210/teeces-bridge-stoney-lane-little-bloxwich-wyrley-and-essington-canal

A culvert that runs below the canal has collapsed and the level of the canal is continuing to drop so we need to isolate the section with the leak to protect the remainder of the canal.

Please note the Northern and Southern Sections of the canal are all open and can be accessed via the Tame Valley and Rushall Canals or either the Walsall canal or Wolverhampton Main line.

Stoppage notice:

wich) Wyrley & Essington Canal

Notice Details
From Date:
2nd June 2018 at 13:00
To Date:
until further notice
Type:
Navigation Closure
Reason:
Structure failure
Description:

A culvert that runs below the canal has collapsed and the level of the canal is continuing to drop so we need to isolate the section with the leak to protect the remainder of the canal.

Please note the Northern and Southern Sections of the canal are all open and can be accessed via the Tame Valley and Rushall Canals or either the Walsall canal or Wolverhampton Main line.

Starts At:
Teeces Bridge
Ends At:
Teeces Bridge
Up Stream Winding Hole:
North of Teeces Bridge use the junction with the Cannock Extension Canal
Down Stream Winding Hole:
South of Teeces Bridge use Birchills Junction

On 01/06/2018 at 07:13, sarahavfc said:

The bottom appears to have got a lot closer to the top. That’s a hell of a lot of water to have lost.

B821C72C-8F78-40D5-9ADC-5046F61E659D.jpeg

The L&L for 10 miles above the Wgan flight has been the same for about 3 days

10 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I would be really interested to see photos of what's going on, especially stop planks and the possible leak site

Richard

I'd expect a coffer dam.  Seems to be the usual CRT method. 

11 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

I'd expect a coffer dam.  Seems to be the usual CRT method. 

It'll be fun doing the challenge next year then if they do another Minworth barrage once it reopens

Edited by matty40s