Decent makes of narrowboat paint.

foleyhancox

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, foleyhancox said:

And ideas for a decent make of narrow boat paint that's purple which doesn't fade?

As you can see from my avatar, our boat is purple. We use Phil Speight's Craftmaster paint on it. Does that fade? Well, very gradually yes, but any paint with a red pigment in it is (apparently) more prone to fading than other colours.

As far as I know, Athy was the only person who could have answered your question with personal experience. By the way, Craftmaster is recognised as a superior paint by many. International,Rylard are amongst the rest. 

Edited by Nightwatch

On Owl I used Tekaloid. (I'm not sure how easy it is to buy these days). The red showed almost no fading after nineteen years, as this picture shows, but I did refresh it fairly regularly with Craftmaster varnish.

20160603_183050.jpg.85fa27a865e4a5e80ed9f8d20c4af7f8.jpg

1 hour ago, koukouvagia said:

... but I did refresh it fairly regularly with Craftmaster varnish.

That is the key to both a great shiny finish and resistance to fading but as you stated, it must be done regularly. 

Is this not a bit like the 'which brokers are best' debate? The best broker is the one selling the boat you want to buy.

The best paint is the one that comes in the exact colour you want. You only have a choice of paint manufacturers if you aren't that bothered about the exact shade, or your chosen manufacturer mixes the stuff to RAL colours.

(And one of the RAL colours is close enough to what you want, obvs!)

Craftmaster will mix paint to your chosen colour - they do with ours.

We used HMG (H. Marcel Guest) paint on our previous boat, but I thought they had been taken over since then.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Dulux (oil based from a trade outlet).

And they will mix to any colour you like.

Do you know this from experience?

I ask because I tried this once and they used a little scanner the size of a torch which just outputs the nearest colour from their existing (admittedly huge) range of Colours. 

So what you get is something close, but usually not an exact match. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I ask because I tried this once and they used a little scanner the size of a torch which just outputs the nearest colour from their existing (admittedly huge) range of Colours. 

But when he's repainted all the purple parts with the same paint they will all be the same colour.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Craftmaster will mix paint to your chosen colour - they do with ours.

We used HMG (H. Marcel Guest) paint on our previous boat, but I thought they had been taken over since then.

I believe it is HMG who actually make the paint for Craftmaster but to a formulation jointly developed by themselves and the founder of Craftmaster (Phil). I believe that they also sell some of their paint directly branded as Symphony paint, previously Narrowboat paint. I don't know if you can actually purchase "HMG paint" directly under that name.

.............Dave

1 minute ago, dmr said:

I believe it is HMG who actually make the paint for Craftmaster but to a formulation jointly developed by themselves and the founder of Craftmaster (Phil). I believe that they also sell some of their paint directly branded as Symphony paint, previously Narrowboat paint. I don't know if you can actually purchase "HMG paint" directly under that name.

.............Dave

That does ring a bell. These days it is hard to keep track of who makes what and where. Our nominally Japanese car was made in Hungary and has an Italian engine.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

That does ring a bell. These days it is hard to keep track of who makes what and where. Our nominally Japanese car was made in Hungary and has an Italian engine.

Don't like the sound of an Italian Engine !

Its a bit like Apple who don't actually make anything (except money), a big company in China makes it all, but like HMG that company might make stuff for other people and might sell their own stuff directly under a different brand.

CaRT will be the same soon, they won't actually do anything, just be an office full of marketing/branding types buying services in from elsewhere.

............Dave

You know how you always seem to have about a dozen half empty tins of paint lying around?  Well some years ago I got sick of this and decided to mix them all together and paint the shed with whatever resulted.  Guess what colour I got - purple.  So my suggestion is just get all those useless tins of paint you will never have a use for and sling the contents in a big tub, you will get a nice shade of purple and it will cost nothing.

1 hour ago, dmr said:

.............Dave

Yes you can buy from HMG directly. They come in rather plain looking tins with white stick-on labels.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I suspect you are right - they match to their nearest standard colour. But their range is huge. And if you give them a colour name from another manufacturer's range, even a long obsolete colour, their computer can usually find it.

I did recently take in a sample of paint from Belfast to be scanned and when the computer came up with a result the chap found the corresponding colour swatch, which wasn't a particularly good match - apparently my sample was too glossy for accurate colour rendition. In the end we did a visual match to a range of swatches and picked the best.

And a week or so later I found the identical colour in Wilco's own brand paint at a fraction of the price. More than good enough for a bit of touching up pending a full repaint!

7 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

On Owl I used Tekaloid. (I'm not sure how easy it is to buy these days). The red showed almost no fading after nineteen years, as this picture shows, but I did refresh it fairly regularly with Craftmaster varnish.

20160603_183050.jpg.85fa27a865e4a5e80ed9f8d20c4af7f8.jpg

That looks superb.  May I ask who did the sign writing?

1 minute ago, Dartagnan said:

That looks superb.  May I ask who did the sign writing?

It's a long time ago, but I think it was a bloke called Bob from Birmingham. (Not very helpful, I know). Tim Higton at WFBCo will know whether he's still around.  I know we pored over old pictures of Owl to get the style correct, but we came to the conclusion that the lettering changed several times so Bob(?) just used his own style which I think that looks right.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

It's a long time ago, but I think it was a bloke called Bob from Birmingham. (Not very helpful, I know). Tim Higton at WFBCo will know whether he's still around.  I know we pored over old pictures of Owl to get the style correct, but we came to the conclusion that the lettering changed several times so Bob(?) just used his own style which I think that looks right.

Thank you very much for the info.  My NB is by WFBCo so it would be nice to chat with them at some stage.

42 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Yes you can buy from HMG directly. They come in rather plain looking tins with white stick-on labels.

I wonder if that's identical to Symphony paint and how the prices compare ?

..............Dave

27 minutes ago, dmr said:

I wonder if that's identical to Symphony paint and how the prices compare ?

..............Dave

I don't know about price and wasn't aware that HMG manufactured Symphony paints. I have just seen the plain tins delivered from HMG under the brand of HMG.