Reading questions

Featured Posts

Just preparing to re join crt waters after my month on the Thames, but despite looking at the Nicholsons and crt/EA I have a few things I'm not clear about - wonder if you guys can give me the benefit of your experience?

Firstly - what is the deal with the ring of the river around the shops? Is it one way or something?

Secondly - I understand traffic lights are at County lock and just east of there - is this just a simple contra flow type thing?

Thirdly - are there any moorings handy for the town (that are preferably free and not too horrid for an overnite perhaps!) I see two places marked on the river ring. But I don't mind a half a mile walk or so if I'm not carrying provisions. I'm not going to bother going round to the Tesco - it's not on my rout and all the DE sign business puts me off.

And lastly - I hear there is a tricky weir and it looks from the book as though it is west of County lock - so if I'm going West it wont be such a problem?

Thank you guys.

If you want to moor in Reading there is a loop just after Blake’s lock by the old prison the moorings are good there. There is no where else to moor until after Fobney lock. When you go through the Oracle shopping center there is a traffic light rather like a pedestrian crossing light, you press the button and wait there are some tricky bends so it’s a one way system. Once the coast is clear and there are no oncoming boats the light goes green and you can go through.

The tricky lock you are referring to is Fobney lock which is the second lock coming out of Reading it is next to a pumping station there is an outflow next to the landing stage which can push your nose out when you tie up to use the lock and the river can be quite tricky make sure you open both gates to go on and you should be ok. Woolhampton lock further up the other side of Aldermaston can be tricky too as the can be a strong stream there too! Enjoy the K and A, everyone moans about it, but it is very beautiful if a little hard work at times. 

9 minutes ago, Sarahr said:

There is no where else to moor until after Fobney lock.

There used to be some VMs on the right just after County Lock (going upstream). Have they gone now? Often used to be populated by Rodney boats/CMers.

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There used to be some VMs on the right just after County Lock (going upstream). Have they gone now? Often used to be populated by Rodney boats/CMers.

Oh yes I forgot about them! Not very easy to get on and off the boat there though is it? Also a bit noisy it’s a bit quieter and nicer by the old prison isn’t it? 

33 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Called Bear Free Wharf, thankfully no sign of any bears there when we went through last week but then nor was anybody moored there, part of the wharf is signed as permit holders only.

We have moored on the railings by Blakes Lock before without any problems, the moorings above Fobney Lock looked good with lots of boats moored there, bit of a trek to the shops though.

Waiting for the traffic signal to go green, the bridge ahead is particularly tricky to navigate especially if their is a strong flow on the river:

289 River Kennet Reading To Burghfield 21st May 2018.JPG

Looking back at County Lock and weir

305 River Kennet Reading To Burghfield 21st May 2018.JPG

Bear Free Wharf 

Bear Free.jpg

Awkward bywash at Fobney Lock, keep your boat well back on the landing stage

319 River Kennet Reading To Burghfield 21st May 2018.JPG

Moorings above Fobney Lock

326 River Kennet Reading To Burghfield 21st May 2018.JPG

Edited by Tim Lewis

16 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Waiting for the traffic signal to go green, the bridge ahead is particularly tricky to navigate especially if their is a strong flow on the river:

That bridge is easy enough going upstream in a strong flow. Total bar steward going downstream though!

And the traffic light takes up to 12 minutes to change after pressing the button IIRC, so be patient. 

Be careful if you throw a right to go round to moor near the prison. Some idiot has but some 20 foot or so finger moorings in as you turn sharp right and last week some other un fortunate sank their boat there so I had to do a quick reverse jobby and carry on out of Reading. 

Edited by mrsmelly

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Be careful if you throw a right to go round to moor near the prison. Some idiot has but some 20 foot or so finger moorings in as you turn sharp right and last week some other un fortunate sank their boat there so I had to do a quick reverse jobby and carry on out of Reading. 

There are two places you can turn right for the prison loop. Which one has these new finger maureens?

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There are two places you can turn right for the prison loop. Which one has these new finger maureens?

First one Mike. Were not there when I last went down there in 2002 some modern crap I suppose. Bloomin sunken yoghurt pot didnt help either.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

First one Mike. Were not there when I last went down there in 2002 some modern crap I suppose. Bloomin sunken yoghurt pot didnt help either.

Oh outside Bel and the Dragon you mean.

They've been there since about 1998!

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh outside Bel and the Dragon you mean.

They've been there since about 1998!

Ahh :D Well they deffo were not there in 93 which was the time before we were there!! It was the bloomin sunk boat that realy stuffed it but its prob gone now it were only a likkle yoghurt pot.

Brewery Gut is fun because you're effectively taking your boat through a shopping mall, particularly if you do it when they're busy. Lots of gongoozlers.

When going up in Fobney lock, be cautious when opening the top gate paddles. They can produce a massive torrent of water which can throw the boat about or get into your bow, but the lock is big with room to keep back from the gates.

There are also moorings at Crane wharf - just at the opposite side of the river from the downstream traffic light (shown in Tim Lewis's photo) which is handy for a quick trip to the shops. This is fine during the day, but I would not moor there overnight as that area it does tend to attract the feckless in the evening.

1 hour ago, billS said:

There are also moorings at Crane wharf - just at the opposite side of the river from the downstream traffic light (shown in Tim Lewis's photo) which is handy for a quick trip to the shops. This is fine during the day, but I would not moor there overnight as that area it does tend to attract the feckless in the evening.

If you mean outside the car park then we have moored there overnight on several occasions. Its the daytime I feel nervous about what with the drunks. After work time it quietens down until the bars etc. shut and then you can get some revellers returning to their cars. I am not sure if this mooring is now subject to the mooring requirements.

As for "the loop around the shops" I think the OP means by the prison but there are no shops to speak of within the loop and I think it has become subject to the new mooring prices and enforcement. Personally I would plan to boat straight through Reading as the council now seem to want to discourage boaters stopping.

• Greenie 1

Thank you all for the brilliant info! I feel better prepared now, though am looking forward to getting through all the clag of the town! After a re supply anyway :)

I didn't know you had to push the button for the lights - would have been a long wait!

13 minutes ago, Johny London said:

T hank you all for the brilliant info! I feel better prepared now, though am looking forward to getting through all the clag of the town! After a re supply anyway :)

I didn't know you had to push the button for the lights - would have been a long wait!

The bloke from the boat waiting behind you would soon have told you!

41 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If you mean outside the car park then we have moored there overnight on several occasions. Its the daytime I feel nervous about what with the drunks. After work time it quietens down until the bars etc. shut and then you can get some revellers returning to their cars. I am not sure if this mooring is now subject to the mooring requirements.

As for "the loop around the shops" I think the OP means by the prison but there are no shops to speak of within the loop and I think it has become subject to the new mooring prices and enforcement. Personally I would plan to boat straight through Reading as the council now seem to want to discourage boaters stopping.

Yep , Reading is becoming like London ,avoid if possible and go through briskly...

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm not sure yer typical CMer type of boater is likely to be commuting daily to London!

Why not? I supposed that one reason for a boat to stay in one place for extended periods is so that the owner has access to transport links, e.g. a railway or a road, fr convenience of travelling to work or taking children to school,not so?

I don't understand, given the proliferation of Cmers on the Thames at Kennet mouth, why the moorings above County lock are so clear. I have only seen the occasional boat moored on them for a short period of time during the last couple of years,

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

It's not Liz's Royal Barge is it?

No , the Royal Barge would enhance the Scenery ,the Local Council collected Visitor Mooring Fees until the Leisure Centre Management got Contracted out.

Now a Private Company controls the Visitor Moorings which resemble a Marina these days.....

The Slumboats at Kingston upon Thames prevent Boaters using the Moorings for the Shops...and no-one seems to be doing anything to stop them.