Seeking convenient shopping stops for forthcoming cruise.

RichLech

Featured Posts

Just planning our summer cruise, leaving in a couple of weeks time. As title says, seeking  suggestions for convenient shopping stops. Our preference is to stop every 4 or 5 days at a large supermarket close to the canal. Our goal is to get provisioned as quickly as possible, then back to the tranquillity of the canal. 

We are starting from Calcutt, going to Birmingham via the Stratford on Avon and the Worcester & Birmingham. Then the Birmingham Main Line, up through Wolverhampton and onto the Shropshire Union as far as Nantwich. We wanted to do the Four Counties Ring but as that isn't possible we haven't decided where to go after Nantwich. 

So, any suggestions for shopping stops between, say, Kings Norton Junction on the Worcester & Birmingham and Nantwich on the Shroppie will be much appreciated. 

Morrisons and Tesco at Leamington Spa. Tesco Express at the Mail Box in Birmingham or the big one and Morrisons past Five Ways, Edgbaston, a walk away.

Morrisons at Autherley junction, its a nice walk away through a park.

Small supermarkets at Brewood, Gnosall and Audlem on Shroppy.  Turners at Wheaton Aston is compulsory for fuel. Everything at Market Drayton.

You could carry on to Chester, its a pleasant run and there is a fabulous butchers at Bunbury, its a long walk but worth it.

Edited by Boater Sam

2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Small supermarkets at Brewood, Gnosall and Audlem on Shroppy.  Turners at Wheaton Aston is compulsory for fuel. Everything at Market Drayton.

And the farm shop at Addersley top lock ... very good pies, black pudding and bacon.

Good butchers (Oxtail and Trotter) in Audlem as well.

5 minutes ago, StephenA said:

And the farm shop at Addersley top lock ... very good pies, black pudding and bacon.

Good butchers (Oxtail and Trotter) in Audlem as well.

Audlem, great fish and chips and good Indian takeaway. I like Audlem a lot. 

There’s one of the massive Tesco Extra stores within a 15 minute walk of the Black Country Living Museum / Dudley tunnel visitors moorings. It’s a similar walk from Tipton. 

14 hours ago, David Mack said:

I sent to recall a Sainsbury's Local on Broad Street, close to Gas Street Basin, and I think there are bigger Tesco and Morrisons supermarkets a short walk away at Five Ways.

The Tesco at Five Ways has gone.  There's one slightly further away at Springhill.  The Morrisons is still there and a convenient short walk from any city centre mooring.

Supermarkets are very easy to find on Google maps.  Just set the visible map to the area you want to search in, and type "supermarket" in the search box.  (This also works for "pub" and anything else.)

5 hours ago, Señor Chris said:

Nantwich: M&S in town centre, Sainsburys a bit of a hoof down the ring road.

Morrisons is nearer; Sainsbury is almost out of town away from the canal.  Morrisons is about a ten or fifteen minute walk from the aqueduct in Nantwich.  There are a couple of excellent butchers in the town centre and a decent greengrocers.  Also a good Oxfam bookshop if you need something to read.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30 May 2018 at 19:01, Peter X said:

The centre of Wolverhampton should have everything too. Stop on your right just before the CRT services, about 100 yards before the top lock.

You've never actually been to Wolverhampton have you Peter?

JP

• Happy 2
  • Haha 1

On 31/05/2018 at 08:13, dor said:

Morrisons is nearer; Sainsbury is almost out of town away from the canal.  Morrisons is about a ten or fifteen minute walk from the aqueduct in Nantwich.  There are a couple of excellent butchers in the town centre and a decent greengrocers.  Also a good Oxfam bookshop if you need something to read.

and Nantwich bells are excellent, 10 - 15 mins walk from the aqueduct, practice night Thursdays, all made welcome.

32 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

and Nantwich bells are excellent, 10 - 15 mins walk from the aqueduct, practice night Thursdays, all made welcome.

Do you ring there Piotr?

Mrs dor rings at Acton and occasionally Wybunbury.

9 hours ago, dor said:

Do you ring there Piotr?

Mrs dor rings at Acton and occasionally Wybunbury.

I have rung there a few times but not recently.  For the last 6 months all my time has been taken up with moving house, which, after 37 years in one place, has proved to be a monumental exercise, now nearly finished.  Soon more boating may even be possible!!!  

I can't help thinking this thread is rather over planning things.  Stock up a bit, sail off, top up as necessary and/or when you can. It's yet to fail me, summer or winter. Your choice, of course, but it's a bimble on the canals of England - and there's always a pub if you get caught short.

I'd suggest you go with the flow - but that only really applies to the return from Llangollen... which is an option for part 2 of your question! :D 

On 30/05/2018 at 19:01, Peter X said:

The centre of Wolverhampton should have everything too. Stop on your right just before the CRT services, about 100 yards before the top lock.

Now that Sainsbury has moved to the other side of the city I don't think there are any large food stores in a reasonable walking distance. Better to divert up the W & E to Bentley Bridge with Sainsbury, Aldi and plenty of other stores. 

Edited by pearley