Naviagtion q

Mac10

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mac10 said:

Hello

I'm thinking of launching my 60ft x 12ft wide beam at Watford.  Does anyone know if I can navigate from Watford into London - are the locks wide enough please?  Thanks

Yet again here is a question from someone who has bought a boat seemingly without knowing anything about what he/she is getting into! I find it incredulous that such a basic question needs to be asked. 

I suppose I will now be accused of intolerance but really!!!!!

Howard

• Greenie 2

20 minutes ago, howardang said:

Yet again here is a question from someone who has bought a boat seemingly without knowing anything about what he/she is getting into! I find it incredulous that such a basic question needs to be asked. 

Howard

Times have changed, I now regret those hundreds of hours spent researching everything about the canals (including extensive towpath walking) before we got a boat ?

Was there not a post a while ago asking why water had stopped coming out of the taps on the newly acquired boat ?

In a few years time they will either be seasoned boaters or be gone, either way its probably good.

...............Dave

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, howardang said:

Howard

Well you have to at least give them credit for asking before it got put in the water. 

Personally I knew even less when I got my first boat and have never looked back..

• Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, howardang said:

Howard

And they all seem to be around London.

5 minutes ago, Mac10 said:

Excuse me.  As I said I am 'thinking about launching at Watford', I am researching, I am just about to order a boat.  I am a single mum and buying a boat on my own to live on is no small feat; it's exciting yes but also incrediby stressful owing to the hundreds of decisions to make.  I absolutely want to make sure I am not going to be forking out twice for haulage.  I came on here to double check as I thought the community would flag up a problem that I can not forsee from using the internet alone for research.  It's a perfectly good question from someone not in the know who is about to embark on the biggest purchase on my life that will swallow all of my life savings in the hope I might just be able to pull off a nice home for my daughter and me to live.  I didn't come on here to insulted thank you.  

Dicks!

If you are buying a wide beam to go CC ing in London with a small child and you have no boating experience please think very carefully and do a lot more research into what you are getting into. If I have read this wrong then sorry.

17 minutes ago, Mac10 said:

Excuse me.  As I said I am 'thinking about launching at Watford', I am researching, I am just about to order a boat.  I am a single mum and buying a boat on my own to live on is no small feat; it's exciting yes but also incrediby stressful owing to the hundreds of decisions to make.  I absolutely want to make sure I am not going to be forking out twice for haulage.  I came on here to double check as I thought the community would flag up a problem that I can not forsee from using the internet alone for research.  It's a perfectly good question from someone not in the know who is about to embark on the biggest purchase on my life that will swallow all of my life savings in the hope I might just be able to pull off a nice home for my daughter and me to live.  I didn't come on here to insulted thank you.  

Dicks!

You probably aren’t still here, but if you are and by way of explanation as to why the responses were somewhat hostile, London has become pretty much a no-go area for leisure boating because it is full up with people living on boats because they represent a cheap way to live in a very expensive city. Wide beam boats are obviously more problematic because they take up more room. Some people feel almost as if the public facility of the canals in London have been taken over by squatters.

if you had said you were taking the boat somewhere else I think you would have got a different reaction. Personally if “London” plays a big part in your decision to buy this boat, I would think very carefully about what the future might hold. The year on year increase in live-aboard boats in London is unsustainable and sooner or later steps will be taken to curtail it. Probably sooner. 

• Greenie 3

Yes London - because the waterways are wider for a craft this size.  

You have no idea how much research I have done nor what experiences I have, what my situation is or my plan - none of you.   

As far as I am aware no one has any more rights than anyone else to the waterways; and experience does not always make a person wise, nor well mannered it seems on here.  One thing I am certain of though is that as long as I am on the water I will always offer my help if it's asked for, however old I get.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Mac10 said:

You have no idea how much research I have done nor what experiences I have, what my situation is or my plan - none of you.   

As far as I am aware no one has any more rights than anyone else to the waterways; and experience does not always make a person wise, nor well mannered it seems on here.  One thing I am certain of though is that as long as I am on the water I will always offer my help if it's asked for, however old I get.

I used to be a boater but I'm now a caravanner.

Your post reminds me of people who come on caravanning forums and ask. "I have just bought x caravan" (which inevitibly is a bloody heavy one) "can i tow it with x car" (which inevitibly is too light to safely tow it).

There then follows a short exchange where experienced folk advise but the OP ignores.

If folk dont want advice why the bloody hell do people ask.?

Just do it anyway.

15 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Steady on, Nick. Some of us like women ... :D

But not stupid rude ones! Anyway, do you think the reaction would have been different if she wasn’t a woman?

Edited by nicknorman

9 hours ago, Mac10 said:

But you don't sound very experienced in canal matters if you are uncertain about lock width on the GU. Also you infer you are getting a brand new widebeam built. Can I suggest that you get a second hand narrowboat and live on that in London for three months, maybe over winter, before spending a large sum on a widebeam. If however, you have secured a good long term mooring  then maybe go ahead with the fat boat.

I have seen a few people getting brand new fat boats on the K&A and giving up after a short time,and London is awhole lot harder.

...............Dave

11 hours ago, howardang said:

Beat me to it.

10 hours ago, Mac10 said:

I am researching, I am just about to order a boat.  I am a single mum and buying a boat on my own to live on is no small feat; it's exciting yes but also incrediby stressful owing to the hundreds of decisions to make.  I absolutely want to make sure I am not going to be forking out twice for haulage.  I came on here to double check as I thought the community would flag up a problem that I can not forsee from using the internet alone for research.  It's a perfectly good question from someone not in the know who is about to embark on the biggest purchase on my life that will swallow all of my life savings in the hope I might just be able to pull off a nice home for my daughter and me to live.  I didn't come on here to insulted thank you.  

Dicks!

Why buy a boat that needs "haulage" anywhere?* Our boat has an engine and there is a network of waterways that enabled us to take the boat from dahn sarf to civilisation, more than 200 miles to the north. It was remarkably easy. 

* I'm not having a dig, Rachael!

20 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Why buy a boat that needs "haulage" anywhere?* Our boat has an engine and there is a network of waterways that enabled us to take the boat from dahn sarf to civilisation, more than 200 miles to the north. It was remarkably easy. 

Because she doesn’t want a boat. She wants  “a nice home for my daughter and me to live.” It just happens to be boat shaped. 

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

I would agree that the initial post wasn't well phrased, but where do you start with something like this.

In the nicest way, she got the answer she wanted within a post or two. "All locks are wide, and canalplan is your friend."

I would add that, unless she has a permanent residential mooring in London, she will probably not be able to comply with the continuous cruising requirements whilst bringing up a child and holding down a job.

Given that the boat hasn't been bought yet, there is plenty of time for her to discover everything else that goes with owning a boat.

Hopefully she stays around to find that many people here are very helpful, and a few are a bit short and obtuse, (whatever that means :)).

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

Hopefully she stays around to find that many people here are very helpful, and a few are a bit short and obtuse, (whatever that means :)).

Well Im a bit short but I'd like to think Im still helpful ???