Ashton canal/Manchester area, best place to moor.....

hullygully

Featured Posts

Now then boy's n girls.......

Were currently chugging up the Macc, then onto the Peak forest canal and Bugsworth basin,then all things being equal and the flight is still open up the Marple flight.

Now my question is, my wife has to leave me for a week with the boat, so I'm looking for a secure spot/mooring in or around Portland basin, or further into Manchester (if I have to)...I've never been around this neck of the woods before (in a boat) so any info on a secure mooring would be greatfully received, or places to avoid, I've heard all the story's...

I dont mind paying if we have to, but comming from Yorkshire I'll be looking for a good deal!!.....

Over to you guys...

Cheers  Hullygully.......

Hi

We had to leave the boat unattended at Dukinfield junction on the towpath for quite a few days (due to loosing the propeller in a nearby mattress) and it was fine. If you are staying on the boat it will certainly be fine. There are rings hidden in the grass between the lift bridge and the junction. Or you could ask Portland basin (they also run the small marina at the top of the Ashton locks which may have space). I think marple may have closed again though....

I would concur that forward of the swing bridge at Dukinfield is a good spot, mostly dog walkers. Just before Portland basin is  a marina that may have space if staying for a while, likewise at Droylsden Marina. After that I would suggest Manchester, Piccadilly Village, offside or in Telford Basin. The residents usually give you the code for the street gate.

• 1 month later...

I had a snoop around the Ashton canal recently. I found the Strawberry Duck pub at lock 13. It looks like a maybe. I asked the pub management and they said there had been no problems with boats there, "for years."

But then I suppose no boats have moored there for years. 

46 minutes ago, Sparx said:

I had a snoop around the Ashton canal recently. I found the Strawberry Duck pub at lock 13. It looks like a maybe. I asked the pub management and they said there had been no problems with boats there, "for years."

But then I suppose no boats have moored there for years. 

Strawberry Duck - that brings back memories.

When hiring many moons ago we made the mistake of going down the flight in the middle of the afternoon and ended up with a dozen drunken "passengers" on the roof.

My father in law was a 5 foot tall ex pitman and  was in the early stages of Alzheimer's and wanted to fight them all.

We managed to get him inside the boat and the passengers departed at the next bridge.

Strawberry Duck used to be  called The Crabtree, it's on Crabtree Lane- much more sensible. There was a swing bridge over the lock which you could take away on  top of your boat if you forgot to open it going uphill. The bridge got smashed up quite regularly by heavy lorries going to Eva Brothers Forge  and taking a short cut from Ashton New Road

On 30/05/2018 at 00:45, jam said:

.... After that I would suggest Manchester, Piccadilly Village, offside or in Telford Basin. The residents usually give you the code for the street gate.

On 31/05/2018 at 13:36, Dave_P said:

Telford Basin,  just past the Ashton flight.  Very secure, it's behind a locked gate.  Nice quiet spot too.

The OP is sorted now, but for others browsing this thread, Thomas Telford Basin in Piccadilly is restricted to mooring for 24 hours only.  I used it a few days ago and it was very tranquil and the residents seem very content to see boats outside their windows. I'd suggest that running of engines or generators and burning smokey fuel would bring about a loss of the facility quite quickly, so we should play nicely. :)

• Happy 1