Its nearly done

Matthew77

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Very new to the forum but long story short sold the house stc and have found a boat we are happy with its going to get a full survey and while I'm at it engine service and fuel polish as it gives us a fresh start. It will allow us then to keep on top with the diesel and engine mantanence.

We've had a mix response from freinds and family - mostly positive but some ask about how we intend to down size etc. 

So we have got storage but we also sold furniture etc as extras with the house which has paid for the above.

We are looking forward to the new life style and will spend time in a mooring and cruise at leisure.

We were able to take it out for a test and all was well.

So I will update as we go and all being well we should be on board mid July.

Any snipets of advice very welcome

Matt

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Matthew77 said:

Any snipets of advice very welcome

Good luck.  Best advice, only ask for specific advice as and when you know you need it, or you'll be inundated!  When you do need advice you'll be amazed the wealth of knowledge there is on here.

Anyway, if you are novice, as opposed to new to living on-board - wave (salute) boaters as you pass, smile often and tell everyone you're a novice - you can make that last at least a couple of years, it brings out the expert in everyone else. 

6 minutes ago, Tanglewood said:

Good luck.  Best advice, only ask for specific advice as and when you know you need it, or you'll be inundated!  When you do need advice you'll be amazed the wealth of knowledge there is on here.

But try to give as much information as you can, the more information however irrelevant it may seem helps people who know to narrow things down, as there is nothing standard on a Narrowboat. Photos really help when describing things. Good luck with the new boat and life

Thank you all so far for the kind comments.

My plan is to go on the narrow boat engine and electrics maintenance courses for beginners Ive seen these advertised and could hopefully keep down servicing costs in the future as well as the handling courses as my limited experience includes a 1 week holiday. 

As liveaboards for eighteen million years one bit of advice re " Downsizing " You DO NOT need storage!! Its all CRAP that we moved around for years before realising that fact. Today there is Ebay etc or give it away or skip it. The stuff you put in storage will never see the light of day again so you realy have no use of it. Its like a comfort blanket but you simply dont need it. Life on a boat is totaly removed from what you thought was a life previously  :cheers:

• Greenie 3

Welcome.

When you come to ask for advice and you are asked to clarify anything please come back asap with the clarification or explain why you can't. Boats are not like cars and even the  "same" engine can have many different options so those with more detailed knowledge are likely to need to know exactly what you have before they can offer sound advice.

You are also likely to find big gaps in your knowledge that makes it difficult to give us the correct information first time, we understand that and its another reason you get asked questions.

Be aware that some contributors seem unable to avoid making jokes and wise cracks, I am sure they are not being malicious but it upsets newcomers. Let it wash over you and you will get sensible answers - often far more than you think you need.

It is very worthwhile spending time reading topics that look of interest to you. After a while you will come to recognise the contributors with a wide experience, those that answer from their own individual experience and then .....................................

Finally, for some light bedtime reading, you may find www.tb-training.co.uk (and other internet resources) will help explain things. You are free to print out any sections for your personal use. If the courses you mention are from the same provider then it is likely that those notes form the basis of the courses.

Good luck

• Greenie 2

16 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Be aware that some contributors seem unable to avoid making jokes and wise cracks,

Yes, some members do have a sense of humour, and many people regard this as a Good Thing.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

As liveaboards for eighteen million years one bit of advice re " Downsizing " You DO NOT need storage!! Its all CRAP that we moved around for years before realising that fact. Today there is Ebay etc or give it away or skip it. The stuff you put in storage will never see the light of day again so you realy have no use of it. Its like a comfort blanket but you simply dont need it. Life on a boat is totaly removed from what you thought was a life previously  :cheers:

Especially books! The number of books we'd been lugging around for decades and were never going to read again was scary. At least there's no problem giving them away to charity shops.

And the look on the guy's face in the vinyl record shop when I took in my mint copy of A Hard Day's Night was priceless.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Not sure I agree with this.  I don't pay for storage but I can see the point of it.  It depends on what you're into.  If you have a hobby which requires bulky items - say kayaking, then having a place to store you kit, other than on your cabin top, is very useful.  I like hiking and camping, I daren't say how many different tents/rucksacks/sleeping bags I have.

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

Especially books! The number of books we'd been lugging around for decades and were never going to read again was scary. At least there's no problem giving them away to charity shops.

And the look on the guy's face in the vinyl record shop when I took in my mint copy of A Hard Day's Night was priceless.

We have lots and will give then to charity shops ?

5 hours ago, Dave_P said:

At least another 2 of each.

That reminds of a comment I once read by a serious cycling (or motorcycling, can't remember now) enthusiast who, when asked what was the ideal number of bikes to own, replied that it was n+1 where n = the number of bikes currently owned.

No doubt it's a rule that could easily be applied to many possessions (CDs and DVDs in my case until I came to my senses a few years ago) if you are not careful. And probably not conducive to permanent/very frequent boating.

Edited by Lily Rose
Add a bit

31 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

That reminds of a comment I once read by a serious cycling (or motorcycling, can't remember now) enthusiast who, when asked what was the ideal number of bikes to own, replied that it was n+1 where n = the number of bikes currently owned.

No doubt it's a rule that could easily be applied to many possessions (CDs and DVDs in my case until I came to my senses a few years ago) if you are not careful. And probably not conducive to permanent/very frequent boating.

Fancy that - have you seen my signature ?

41 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

It's definitely a cycling thing, though in recent times s - 1 is often favoured, where "s" is the number of bikes that would result in separation from one's partner.  You often hear bike riders remark they are getting close to "s".  

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Fancy that - have you seen my signature ?

Bugger!

No I hadn't noticed that!

That's not where I got it from though, but I suspected it was not an original comment when I read it. Amusing though.