Leeds and Liverpool (advice appreciated)

Postman pat

Featured Posts

On 31/05/2018 at 22:45, Scarletgirl said:

We went with Bearboating a few years ago and, as well as the boats being fantastic, the crew there are exceptional! They will take you through the 1st couple of locks and answer any questions you have as well as give advice as needed. The lockies along the route love the “boo boats” and will also be welcoming & helpful!  it’s a fabulous canal to be on & I’m sure you’ll have a great time! 

Thank you Scarletgirl. I will pass the feedback to our handover crew. The lockies do like our boats but its really because of the high standard of handover we give all our boaters. All our handovers are conducted by RYA IWH Instructors and are very thorough. Even the most experienced of boaters are given the full handover through at least 3 locks - if they start from Apperley Bridge Marina we instruct everyone through Dobson 2 Rise and Field 3 Rise. At Barlick we instruct through Greenberfield as a minimum. All our novice boaters take the RYA IWH course on the first two days of their holiday. It is not the easiest of canals, (hence our handovers and training policy), but its definitely one of the most beautiful. Our one way cruise takes in the best of the L&L and that small section of the route that is in Lancashire is also very beautiful. (But thats because its really Yorkshire and Lancashire stole it).

• Love 1

19 hours ago, Glynn said:

Gargrave is a lovely village with two good pubs and a few shops.Gargrave is a lovely village with two good pubs and a few shops.

And an even better Indian restaurant (Bollywood Cottage)...

Would also recommend mooring near the swing bridge at Bradley and walking up the hill to the Slaters Arms for dinner, lovely pub ?

Edited by IanD

16 minutes ago, IanD said:

And an even better Indian restaurant (Bollywood Cottage)...

Would also recommend mooring near the swing bridge at Bradley and walking up the hill to the Slaters Arms for dinner, lovely pub ?

Thanks for all the great info?

Bollywood Cottage there’s two words you don’t see together very often .

On 03/06/2018 at 21:00, Glynn said:

Gargrave is a lovely village with two good pubs and a few shops.Gargrave is a lovely village with two good pubs and a few shops.

It is lovely...I like to take the dogs for a paddle

in The Aire . Also like The Dalesman Cafe and Sweet

Emporium...dog friendly,nice cake.

23 hours ago, Glynn said:

Never been in Bollywood Cottage, is it good ?.

Yes -- *way* better than anything you'd expect to find somewhere as remote as Gargrave, and I speak as a curry fan who lives a couple of miles from Southall...

Edited by IanD

• 1 month later...
On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 16:55, Postman pat said:

We recently booked a weeks holiday in August on the L&L canal rather naively more based on the boat than the canal we would be travelling on. We are looking for a quiet holiday and would very much appreciate any advice on where to go and where to avoid .

@Postman pat going on recent information regarding stoppages, unless we have a lot of rain, your holiday route will be cut short. locks due to be  closed at gargrave shortly, and restrictions on passage through bingley 3 & 5 rise.

how long I wonder before locks below bingley will be closed or put on limited passage ?

the water level between gargrave & bingley is already dropping

sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 

bazza

27 minutes ago, Bazza954 said:

@Postman pat going on recent information regarding stoppages, unless we have a lot of rain, your holiday route will be cut short. locks due to be  closed at gargrave shortly, and restrictions on passage through bingley 3 & 5 rise.

how long I wonder before locks below bingley will be closed or put on limited passage ?

the water level between gargrave & bingley is already dropping

sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 

bazza

Thanks Bazza

we were originally booked on a one way from  Apperley bridge to Barnoldswick , obviously this is no longer possible due to the closures . The hire company has offered us a out and back .I know this is all  out of their control but we are still very disappointed not to be able to cruise what we have been told are the most scenic parts of the canal .

If there where to be further closures between Gargrave and Bingley or very restrictive lock opening and closing times we would have to seriously rethink our options and would hope the hire company ( Bear boating ) would understand this.

We certainly didn’t book a canal holiday to view the industrial delights of Leeds .

Hi 

I do understand your dissappoitment but don't dismiss the idea of going into Leeds. The canal passes to the north and goes in down the valley so is quite secluded and green. It goes through some pretty villages and the towpath has been upgraded all the way along. I don't remember much in the way of industrial blight and the waterfront in Leeds has been redevolped and is really pleasant with plenty of bars and reataurants. Leeds is an interesting place but I am a bit biased!