Leeds and Liverpool (advice appreciated)

Postman pat

Featured Posts

We recently booked a weeks holiday in August on the L&L canal rather naively more based on the boat than the canal we would be travelling on. We are looking for a quiet holiday and would very much appreciate any advice on where to go and where to avoid .

I take it you're with Bear Boating, lovely boats but if you're looking for a quiet holiday then definitely turn left out of the marina and then you'll be going through Shipley, Saltaire, Bingley (3 rise locks and then the 5 rise locks), and then a run with no locks just lots of swing bridges through to Skipton. It's a nice run all the way through to Skipton with plenty of places to visit depending on what you're looking for.

Dave

• Greenie 2

I would also definitely go west from Apperley Bridge.  On another thread a member has reported recent problems with kids at Field 3 locks but you should be able to get to Saltaire where there is a nice offside mooring near bridge 207E.  If there's no space there you can try and get in on the towpath side further up beyond the Mill.  CRT were putting in some rings just before the mill the last time we were up there but we couldn't get anywhere near the side.  From there on there are no dodgy locations but your crew will have lots of work with all the swing bridges, some of which can be swines to operate in hot weather.

3 hours ago, Postman pat said:

We recently booked a weeks holiday in August on the L&L canal rather naively more based on the boat than the canal we would be travelling on. We are looking for a quiet holiday and would very much appreciate any advice on where to go and where to avoid .

You will certainly get 'quiet' on the Leeds Liverpool even in August, there will be a few boats about but not as many as you get on other canals in the Midlands and further South.

As others have said, head West. The section between Gargrave and Barnoldswick is easily one of the best and prettiest on the network.

You will also pass through the iconic 5 rise at Bingley which is a 'must do' that many boaters will never get the chance to do.

I'll not recommend places to avoid as this changes but places worth stopping at include Saltaire, Kildwick, Skipton, Gargrave and Salterforth if you can get on the pontoon at the anchor inn.

Edited by MJG

1 minute ago, Postman pat said:

Thanks very much for all your answers, it’s very much appreciated. Looks like the wife will have arms like Popeye from opening all the swing bridges .

Well, you could always do them, and let her drive the boat through!

A small number are electric though, great fun stopping the traffic and observing the occasional scowl from the drivers.

3 minutes ago, MJG said:

A small number are electric though, great fun stopping the traffic and observing the occasional scowl from the drivers.

God forbid, women drivers, they’ll be after the vote next ( don’t tell her I said that )

3 minutes ago, MJG said:

"The occasional scowl!  ?  I've felt holes being burnt through the back of my head! ?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

"The occasional scowl!  ?  I've felt holes being burnt through the back of my head! ?

Admit it though, its sort of satisfying isn't it?

Capped with giving a sarcastic ' thanks ever so' as they drive over the closed bridge.

6 minutes ago, Postman pat said:

God forbid, women drivers, they’ll be after the vote next ( don’t tell her I said that )

Jan my wife became very deft at handling the boat around the locks, bridges etc.

On our first hire boat holiday where we had to do a lock just two up she was unhappy about being up on the lock gates and walked back to the boat.

Ok no problem says me but if you are unable you need to learn to steer.

Challenge accepted.

We never looked back after that.

1 minute ago, MJG said:

Jan my wife became very deft at handling the boat around the locks, bridges etc.

On our first hire boat holiday where we had to do a lock just two up she was unhappy about being up on the lock gates and walked back to the boat.

Ok no problem says me but if you are unable you need to learn to steer.

Challenge accepted.

We never looked back after that.

It was tongue in cheek , she’s a good’n my wife, she might have trouble parallel parking a mini, but she has no trouble with a 57ft narrowboat ?

2 hours ago, Postman pat said:

Thank you Dave, we are on a one way to Barnoldswick, I suppose what I’m really trying to find out is where would be a good  safe mooring (How far are we likely to get ) bearing in mind we probably won’t pick up  the boat up until 2 pm 

I think you've made a perfect choice; you'll be going over one of the most beautiful sections of canal on the system. Your journey (Apperley Bridge to Barnoldswick) is a comfortable 4 days cruising giving you plenty of time to moor up and enjoy the peace and quiet of this section (32 miles, 29 locks and 32 swing bridges) over a week. There are plenty of very rural moorings throughout where you have a good chance of being alone (I recommend spending one night on the section between bridges 164 and 163)  in addition to a town visit at Skipton and the village of Gargrave. 

• Greenie 2

On 29/05/2018 at 16:55, Postman pat said:

Don't worry, on board you will find our own guide book (as well as a nicholsons guide), with all our favourite mooring spots as well as pubs, restaurants, shops etc along the route, all tried and tested. Please do not hesitate to email us should you have any questions.

• Greenie 1

48 minutes ago, bearBOATING said:

Don't worry, on board you will find our own guide book (as well as a nicholsons guide), with all our favourite mooring spots as well as pubs, restaurants, shops etc along the route, all tried and tested. Please do not hesitate to email us should you have any questions.

Thank you , I have sent you an email .

We went with Bearboating a few years ago and, as well as the boats being fantastic, the crew there are exceptional! They will take you through the 1st couple of locks and answer any questions you have as well as give advice as needed. The lockies along the route love the “boo boats” and will also be welcoming & helpful!  it’s a fabulous canal to be on & I’m sure you’ll have a great time! 

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I think Bearboating deserve a plum for their common sense approach to dogs - and they are one of the few companies who don't charge extra.  

I used to hire from 1973 to 1991 and was never charged an additional fee for a dog.

Surprised to hear that most do now.

20 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I used to hire from 1973 to 1991 and was never charged an additional fee for a dog.

Surprised to hear that most do now.

I remember some years ago when we were "between boats" and had three dogs I was looking for a suitable hire boat and most of the ones I looked at either charged extra or only allowed one dog.  I raised it on this very forum and I do remember Bearboating and Chas Hardern being mentioned.  Thinking about it that was probably less recent than I thought so things may be different now.    

17 hours ago, Scarletgirl said:

We went with Bearboating a few years ago and, as well as the boats being fantastic, the crew there are exceptional! They will take you through the 1st couple of locks and answer any questions you have as well as give advice as needed. The lockies along the route love the “boo boats” and will also be welcoming & helpful!  it’s a fabulous canal to be on & I’m sure you’ll have a great time! 

Its great that we are hearing only good things  about Bearboating . As I said before being a typical fella I’d looked at the obvious quality their boats, and really not looked at the canal itself ( probably should have been our first consideration )We have been on some of the Midlands canals in the past , but for some reason when i did look into the L&L canal it seemed to me more daunting (probably me age ) I’m just glad so many of you have been on it and had a great time .

Edited by Postman pat

8 minutes ago, Postman pat said:

Its great that we are hearing only good things  about Bearboating . As I said before being a typical fella I’d looked at the obvious quality their boats, and really not looked at the canal itself ( probably should have been our first consideration )We have been on some of the Midlands canals in the past , but for some reason when i did look into the L&L canal it seemed to me more daunting (probably me age ) I’m just glad so many of you have been on it and had a great time .

It's ok so long as you stick to the Yorkshire side.

• Greenie 1