Problem with Solar installation.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

How can you tell from the fotos? 

Did you actually buy them?

Yes, I used to have the CK and when it started to fall apart I bought the cheap no-name one - it’s every bit as good as the CK at less than a third of the price. 

It doesn’t have red, blue and yellow dots but they’d be simple enough to add if you really wanted them. 

From a review of the first crimpers above:

these do not crimp insulated colour coded blue red yellow crimps. Hence why they have no colour coding on the crimping head.

From a review of the second pair:

The description for this is wrong (not for insulated)

Edited by Canal Cuttings
Added details

1 minute ago, Canal Cuttings said:

From a review of the first crimpers above:

Interesting that you picked the one review that stated this and none of the five or six others who noted that it was a nonsense comment. It crimps red, blue and yellow crimps just fine. 

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Interesting that you picked the one review that stated this and none of the five or six others who noted that it was a nonsense comment. It crimps red, blue and yellow crimps just fine. 

You hope!!

“Bought it to use on "Insulated Crimp Red Female Push-On" and it works very nicely.”

”Contrary to some of the reviews on here I found no problems crimping the standard red/blue/yellow crimps with this tool. EVERY crimp sat perfectly first time! With a bit of commonsense you can judge which gap to use for which crimp. Failing that put a blob of red blue or yellow paint by the corresponding gap! It gets 5 stars from me!”

”Contrary to one review does work with the red, yellow and blue insulated connectors”

”Not quite sure why some reviews say that this is not suitable for the red/blue/yellow crimps as it works absolutely fine and it's what the tool is designed for.”

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

You hope!!

No, I know. It’s not guesswork, it’s what I use. 

10 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I wonder if they have been selling two differently sourced models under the same name?  Another review said "

Ok I ordered in error, It does not crimp the red blue yellow type connectors

... and Screwfix themselves answered peoples' questions by saying that it both WOULD and WOULD NOT work with insulated terminals, before concluding: "

This product will be suitable for Non-insulated lugs, sorry for the confusion.

1 minute ago, Canal Cuttings said:

I wonder if they have been selling two differently sourced models under the same name?  Another review said "

... and Screwfix themselves answered peoples' questions by saying that it both WOULD and WOULD NOT work with insulated terminals, before concluding: "

All I can say is that I have that one, it doesn’t have the coloured dots, yet it crimps insulated terminals just fine. It also crimps uninsulated ones although it’s very rare that I use them. 

3 minutes ago, Canal Cuttings said:

This product will be suitable for Non-insulated lugs, sorry for the confusion.

I thought this too. On closer inspection those crimp tools look like the crimp tool I have for uninsulated crimps.

11 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I have just scrutinised my new crimpers. And yes there are pimples that imprint 1,2 and 3 dots. I hadn't noticed before.

In which case you have case you have the correct tool for crimping red blue and yellow colour coded crimp terminals.

Unlike some on here ;) 

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

In which case you have case you have the correct tool for crimping red blue and yellow colour coded crimp terminals.

Unlike some on here ;) 

I presume you’re not referring to me? Because Nightwatch bought the Screwfix crimpers that I recommended. I told you they were good for insulated crimps. :P

On a slightly different tack, why does my autocorrect insist on changing crimpers to crumpets?

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Did I do well?

Dunno, we’ve not seen a crimp yet :D

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

Never seen the dots on the ype of crimper (hydraulic) that I am more familiar with.

However there isn't much call for 300mm2 cable on boats. ?

610Rp3GzU5L._SY450_.jpg

I’ve got one that looks like this, but different colours, and only goes up to 70mm2. About forty quid on eBay about 6 years ago.

6 hours ago, cuthound said:

Never seen the dots on the ype of crimper (hydraulic) that I am more familiar with.

However there isn't much call for 300mm2 cable on boats. ?

610Rp3GzU5L._SY450_.jpg

I have one of those too. But it is also the wrong tool for crimping red, blue and yellow colour-size coded crimps. 

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have one of those too. But it is also the wrong tool for crimping red, blue and yellow colour-size coded crimps. 

Even if it had sufficiently small dies. 

12 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I’ve got one that looks like this, but different colours, and only goes up to 70mm2. About forty quid on eBay about 6 years ago.

You can get them to crimp up to  630mm2 lugs.

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hence the smiley in my post ?