An interesting fault for a Bank Holiday afternoon

Featured Posts

So, Monday saw us cruising back to the Marina. It was a hot day, and the Trading Post at Poynton sells Ice Cream, and an ice cream stop was clearly indicated.

After we have tied up, Son-in-Law remarks that the control is "a bit stiff" engaging forward gear. He demonstrates whilst stationary, and sure enough easy into reverse, stiff into forward, then on the third shift it won't even drop into neutral.

So, removed the split pin, and the selector arm is moving freely, and I offer the opinion that this could be a selector cable problem. Exposed the back of the control lever, and found this...

IMG_1823.JPG.6829da1b17ad5677ae8a800c2db96f6e.JPG

It appears that the stiffness was down to a slight kink in the cable end, that was making it difficult to push, and that this was getting slowly worse until it wouldn't go at all, and bent over completely.

On the plus side, 50 yards from a shop that sells replacements is a damn good place for this sort of thing to happen!

8 minutes ago, mayalld said:

On the plus side, 50 yards from a shop that sells replacements is a damn good place for this sort of thing to happen!

Yay! :)

Plus you can eat your ice cream while you watch SIL fix it ;)

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yay! :)

Plus you can eat your ice cream while you watch SIL fix it ;)

Not at all!

I am a helpful soul, so I did one end of the cable whilst he did the other.

Naturally I picked the morse control end, and sent him down the hole to do the gearbox end :-)

6 minutes ago, mayalld said:

Not at all!

I am a helpful soul, so I did one end of the cable whilst he did the other.

Naturally I picked the morse control end, and sent him down the hole to do the gearbox end ?

See, you're not as daft as people say... ;)

On 29/05/2018 at 13:06, mayalld said:

Lucky you!! I discovered that I had a selector cable problem as I attempted to engage reverse to slow down/stop entering a lock following in a first-time hire doing his second lock. Cable snapped, still in forward. Natural reaction to entering too fast was to increase revs in reverse - just made me go faster!! cos I was still in forward. And it was Good Friday evening. Nice RCR man was there (middle of nowhere!) after an hour and replaced snapped cable. And next morning the CRT lockie said there was "..no significant damage .." to the lock gate which stopped me. Crew comment - "Why didn't you slow down?" Hey-ho

12 minutes ago, Opener said:

Lucky you!! I discovered that I had a selector cable problem as I attempted to engage reverse to slow down/stop entering a lock following in a first-time hire doing his second lock. Cable snapped, still in forward. Natural reaction to entering too fast was to increase revs in reverse - just made me go faster!! cos I was still in forward. And it was Good Friday evening. Nice RCR man was there (middle of nowhere!) after an hour and replaced snapped cable. And next morning the CRT lockie said there was "..no significant damage .." to the lock gate which stopped me. Crew comment - "Why didn't you slow down?" Hey-ho

I have managed that trick when we picked up a jacket around the prop

On 29/05/2018 at 13:06, mayalld said:

So, Monday saw us cruising back to the Marina. It was a hot day, and the Trading Post at Poynton sells Ice Cream, and an ice cream stop was clearly indicated.

After we have tied up, Son-in-Law remarks that the control is "a bit stiff" engaging forward gear. He demonstrates whilst stationary, and sure enough easy into reverse, stiff into forward, then on the third shift it won't even drop into neutral.

So, removed the split pin, and the selector arm is moving freely, and I offer the opinion that this could be a selector cable problem. Exposed the back of the control lever, and found this...

IMG_1823.JPG.6829da1b17ad5677ae8a800c2db96f6e.JPG

It appears that the stiffness was down to a slight kink in the cable end, that was making it difficult to push, and that this was getting slowly worse until it wouldn't go at all, and bent over completely.

Always carry a spare one Dave!! Good to hear you got it sorted. I had one go when winding at a location with a concrete edge once :o