Anti-Slip Mats - Stern and Bow

Gra73

Featured Posts

Hi Guys,

Hope everyone is enjoying the wonderful bank holiday sunshine.

? About anti slip mats (the slated) ones you see, has anyone got a good link for a supplier or anyone found alternative solutions for ‘matting’ the stern and bow areas?

Many thanks in advance

Gra 

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Be careful. Paint is porous so if anything you put on the deck traps water the result will be micro-blistering at best or rust and paint flaking at the worst.

Personally I use a light coloured slip resist paint.

Yep, you should see the state of my roof after leaving a couple of bags of coal on top this winter. It did need a repaint but boy did it blister. Don't put anything that traps water on regular paint.

Non slip tape on the area's that you need it that's all. As said above no rubber matting as you tend to forget about the water underneath which results in rust, leading to de-rusting, primer, under-coat and top coat. Or use something like International Interdeck, a good non-slip paint available in a variety of colours.

Edited by PD1964

I've "matted" the bow, stern, and gas locker of my boat with these rubber mats:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-Matting-With-Drainage-Holes-Wet-Areas-Decking-Pool-Side-Patios/263196467912?epid=2194312571&hash=item3d47bb62c8:m:mct737nOuF6mHnsoy4Q_VRA

As they're raised by the little rubber feet water doesn't seem to be able to get stuck under them, and 3 years later the paint under them is still looking pretty good. 

4 hours ago, Gra73 said:

Thanks, that’s good advice.

Is the anti slip tape also what’s used on the gunwales?

I use this stuff available in a variety of widths and lengths to suit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-Slip-Non-Skid-Tape-High-Grip-Sticky-Backed-Adhesive-Black-Floor-Safety/361823851084?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=631085872441&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

2 hours ago, mattcyp said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-Matting-With-Drainage-Holes-Wet-Areas-Decking-Pool-Side-Patios/263196467912?epid=2194312571&hash=item3d47bb62c8:m:mct737nOuF6mHnsoy4Q_VRA

As they're raised by the little rubber feet water doesn't seem to be able to get stuck under them, and 3 years later the paint under them is still looking pretty good. 

I’ve used these for years without paint damage. I like that I can drop metal items on them without damage. I am rather surprised how cheap they are inc delivery. 

I have a similar design on my bow deck. I slipped before buying them and slid stepping down and my back hit the old bow locker diesel tank edge. It hurt!

Water does run out underneath but did find rust last year and ground back and treated and re painted. Paintwork at least 7 years old. 

Fitted these mats 5 years ago and no issues since.

James :) 

I've just matted my well deck, after my wife slipped and did herself a very serious injury..

I've used this stuff - comes in a range of colours, and they supply free samples

http://www.matrico.co.uk/product_versatile_pvc.html

It's not cheap, but it was easy to lay and if it prevents another accident it's worth every penny.

Google "Dri-Dek". Purpose made, let's water drain freely, provides insulation instead of standing on a cold metal deck when winter cruising. Not cheap though.

(Just noticed its very similar to that recommended above by Seilbyman.  Dri-Dek is the original I believe)

Edited by Sea Dog
Bit in brackets

• 3 months later...

Sorry to resurrect a thread here but as it's exactly what I was looking for...

The anti slip tape - what's the deal with painting it? Should it be painted in order to make it weather proof, or will that clog it up to the point where it is ineffective? I have seen it, usually painted over but that doesn't necessarily mean it the right way! In the meantime, I'll ask the supplier.

Definitely going for some of that rubber matt...

2 hours ago, Johny London said:

The anti slip tape - what's the deal with painting it? Should it be painted in order to make it weather proof, or will that clog it up to the point where it is ineffective? I have seen it, usually painted over but that doesn't necessarily mean it the right way! In the meantime, I'll ask the supplier.

I've used none slip tape for the last 10 years, put it on bows and stern boarding points. Takes paint well  and doesn't clog also when  you repaint just brush it out with a wire brush and that's all the prep you need.

Phil 

2 hours ago, Johny London said:

I bought some non-slip tape as a Lidl special many years ago. Put it on the gunwhales above the well deck. It's never been painted and still in good nick. Sticks like poo to a blanket. I've not seen it in recent years.

• 2 years later...
On 29/05/2018 at 12:16, mattcyp said:

Sorry to go back to this but very new to boating about to purchase my first boat which has wood on the stern and not paint will these mats work on wood?  Forgive my ignorance I have much to learn and looking forward to it ?

Also can I ask is 210 engines high for a 3yr wide beam boat is it something to be concerned about?

thanks in advance for your support!

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Is that 210 hours? 2100 hours or something else. I very much doubt you mean that its had 210 engines in three years. If 210 hours is hardly run in and if 2100 just about run in so nothing to worry about but I would at least charge the oil and filters.

They are about.

In 2015 I bought a boat which was launched in 2003, it had 73 hours on one engine and 75 hours on the other.

It had simply been used as a 'man-cave' for the elderly gentleman to get away from his 'missus'.

Took some 'blasting up and down the river' to get it running sweetly.

Due to assorted family medical problems, and the current C19 problems as off the end of this year the Port engine has 164 hours and the Starboard 162 hours.

Edited by Alan de Enfield