Stupid Facebook Groups

zenataomm

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

That's because some cameras and lenses are better than others for certain types of shooting.?

That would be type of camera/lens tho are better for certain types of shooting, not really the brand of camera.

1 hour ago, welly said:

In what way is an email group or WhatsApp group any better than FB messenger? I don't use or have a Facebook account and rarely use WhatsApp so have no skin in this game but it is quite possible that Facebook works well for those who use it. 

You know you don't have to join the group? Or look at it? Or have anything to do with it whatsoever?

Honestly, your post reeks of snobbery. You're reading into what purpose that group serves to suit your own agenda, whatever that might be. I'm struggling to see what you've gained from making this post other than to demonstrate some holier than thou attitude. Do you not have anything better to do with your time? ?

I'd explain it to you, however I have better things to do with my time …… ?

3 minutes ago, Robbo said:

That would be type of camera/lens tho are better for certain types of shooting, not really the brand of camera.

Indeed. I would wager the average person couldn't discern between something taken on a Leica against something taken on an Olympus.

What matters is the end result not the brand of the equipment. 

Just now, MJG said:

Indeed. I would wager the average person couldn't discern between something taken on a Leica against something taken on an Olympus.

What matters is the end result not the brand of the equipment. 

90% user, 5% camera, 5% luck.   

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

Most of the time yes but when you are looking for the absolute best performance then individual models can be important and for lenses, certain brands can be important. At the top end, you get what you pay for. That though will not interest 99% of peeps.

2 hours ago, MJG said:

They are probably much of a muchness TBH.

But what Nick seemed to miss was that I actually was comparing Facebook Messenger with basic text messaging, over which it is far superior. Facebook messenger allows the sending of messages including pictures and to multiple recipients that doesn't cost anything other then your data allowance or even better nothing at all if you send over wi-fi. Sending picture messages even to a single recipient is rarely included in your monthly text allowance and is expensive for what it is.

If you send picture messages a lot (which we as a family do) the cost would soon mount up using texts.

Yes, however if you use iOS messages or WhatsApp, it’s free (data only).

Just now, nicknorman said:

Yes, however if you use iOS messages or WhatsApp, it’s free (data only).

Yes I know this.

I wasn't comparing it with iOS or Whats App, I was comparing it with basic texting. And iOS only works if everybody is on it. Facebook messenger (and others) are cross platform.

27 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Most of the time yes but when you are looking for the absolute best performance then individual models can be important and for lenses, certain brands can be important. At the top end, you get what you pay for. That though will not interest 99% of peeps.

Only if you are really into your game and know how to use a camera.   Most people who push their brand of camera probably think f-stops are part of a females anatomy.

Edited by Robbo
  • Happy 1

5 hours ago, welly said:

In what way is an email group or WhatsApp group any better than FB messenger? I don't use or have a Facebook account and rarely use WhatsApp so have no skin in this game but it is quite possible that Facebook works well for those who use it. 

In my opinion neither WhatsApp nor Facebook messenger are better than the other - it's all down to individual requirements. If all your close friends/family are on Facebook then there's no need to bother with WhatsApp as it doesn't give you anything additional. If, like me, you have close friends/family who either don't do Facebook or have an account that they rarely sign in to WhatsApp is great because it's a single purpose private messaging app that doesn't have the privacy issues associated with Facebook so I've been able to set up groups that include the whole family.

Edited by Ange

3 hours ago, Ange said:

In my opinion neither WhatsApp nor Facebook messenger are better than the other - it's all down to individual requirements. If all your close friends/family are on Facebook then there's no need to bother with WhatsApp as it doesn't give you anything additional. If, like me, you have close friends/family who either don't do Facebook or have an account that they rarely sign in to WhatsApp is great because it's a single purpose private messaging app that doesn't have the privacy issues associated with Facebook so I've been able to set up groups that include the whole family.

I think this is the crux of the difference. Both FB messenger and WhatsApp  are entirely competent at their jobs, the difference is that the former tries to suck you in to a world of radicalisation and intolerance. Fine if you resist, not fine if you don’t.

On 01/06/2018 at 19:58, nicknorman said:

I think this is the crux of the difference. Both FB messenger and WhatsApp  are entirely competent at their jobs, the difference is that the former tries to suck you in to a world of radicalisation and intolerance. Fine if you resist, not fine if you don’t.

Facebook messanger is separate to Facebook, there is nothing to resist except your own messages and that of friends. It is almost exactly the same as WhatsApp, even allowing phone calls. 

Facebook on the other hand is exactly as you describe.