Smartbank charging problems

Featured Posts

Hello everyone,

I recently had a visit from the lovely Tony Brookes, who took a look at my charging system. Unfortunately we couldn't quite figure out why my leisure bank wouldn't charge with my engine battery. 

Since then I think I have been able to trace the problem to the smartbank. Basically I have figured out how to read and set the thing, and the domestic batteries do charge when I perform an 'emergency connect'. This automatically disconnects after 30 seconds. I have tried altering the nominal voltage cut in and cut out settings, and I have even disabled the 'engine priority' feature, which is supposed to automatically connect both banks when connection voltage is reached. However it is just stuck in 'CP' or 'Connection pending'.

Does anyone have experience with Smartbank / smargague who could potentially shed some light?

15 minutes ago, Robbo said:

You could try a full factory reset and reconfigure from scratch.

Yep, that’s the first step. If that doesn’t work drop an email to Merlin. 

I have finally managed to get it connecting. Only problem I'm now seeing is that once the alternator has reached sufficient charge and connection has happened, stopping the engine does not disconnect the batteries if you have solar then keeping the domestic bank (and so the connected starter) above the disconnect voltage. Is this a problem? I realise they will disconnect when the voltage gets low enough, but surely it's not great to be pulling from the starter as though it's part of your domestic bank if you're going to charge laptops for example? Even if the voltage is above 12.8

2 hours ago, Poppin said:

I have finally managed to get it connecting. Only problem I'm now seeing is that once the alternator has reached sufficient charge and connection has happened, stopping the engine does not disconnect the batteries if you have solar then keeping the domestic bank (and so the connected starter) above the disconnect voltage. Is this a problem? I realise they will disconnect when the voltage gets low enough, but surely it's not great to be pulling from the starter as though it's part of your domestic bank if you're going to charge laptops for example? Even if the voltage is above 12.8

If the solar is producing power and keeping the voltage high enough, the banks will most likely stay connected, as connection/disconnection is voltage dependent. I find, without solar, the batteries will stay connected for half an hour or so after charging, until the surface charge dissipates, or until the fridge fires up. 

From the "Emergency Connect" comment, I assume this is a Smartgauge/Smartbank installation, and not a Smartbank on its own?

Mine is connected with the alternator feeding the leisure battery, and the relay connecting the engine battery. When I did this, I disabled "Engine Priority", but, after thinking about it, I reinstated it. The effect is to put some charge into the leisure bank before connecting, which should reduce the current through the relay on connection.

Information:-

Yes, its a Smartguage & Smartbank installation.

The alternator is connected to the engine battery but as the "relay" is an Albright contactor I don’t think the normal advice to connect the alternator to the domestic bank is so important. If that contactor cant handle the output of an A127 plus a bit more from the engine battery I would be very surprised.

I have no doubt the relay (mine's an Albright too) would handle all the current the alternator can throw at it.

I was prompted to make the change from "alternator to engine battery" to "alternator to leisure battery" by the way the system behaved on our shared boat when there was a heavy power draw (vacuum cleaner). The Smartbank relay would drop out, leaving the alternator charging engine battery only. After 30 seconds or so (I forget exactly how I had that one set up) , the relay would cut back in again. A minute or so later, it would drop out, and the cycle would repeat. Once I swapped over the alternator connection, the relay would drop out once, and stay dropped out until the vacuuming was on pause, and only re-connect when the leisure battery voltage had risen to 13.8V.  Leisure bank staying on charge, and less wear on relay contacts : result!

3 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

I have no doubt the relay (mine's an Albright too) would handle all the current the alternator can throw at it.

I was prompted to make the change from "alternator to engine battery" to "alternator to leisure battery" by the way the system behaved on our shared boat when there was a heavy power draw (vacuum cleaner). The Smartbank relay would drop out, leaving the alternator charging engine battery only. After 30 seconds or so (I forget exactly how I had that one set up) , the relay would cut back in again. A minute or so later, it would drop out, and the cycle would repeat. Once I swapped over the alternator connection, the relay would drop out once, and stay dropped out until the vacuuming was on pause, and only re-connect when the leisure battery voltage had risen to 13.8V.  Leisure bank staying on charge, and less wear on relay contacts : result!

I think in those circumstances you did right.

My personal view is that nowadays the Smartbank system for an ordinary boater is a bit overkill and complicated when a VSR with alternator and sensing on the domestic bank will be perfectly satisfactory.

13 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think in those circumstances you did right.

My personal view is that nowadays the Smartbank system for an ordinary boater is a bit overkill and complicated when a VSR with alternator and sensing on the domestic bank will be perfectly satisfactory.

On a slightly different tack, did you find anything regarding Poppin's gearbox oil leak ?

11 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

On a slightly different tack, did you find anything regarding Poppin's gearbox oil leak ?

I found clean oil on the rear port engine foot that might have come from a loose oil cooler pipe. I also found clean oil under the flywheel housing where it buts against the engine back plate so cleaned it as best as I could but no oil appeared there over a minute or so.

The gearbox was grossly overfilled by close to an inch so I am sitting on the fence over a potential front seal leak pending more running & testing/feeling for oil  cleaning.

The drip tray really needs cleaning so paper can go under the engine as a leak tell tail.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I found clean oil on the rear port engine foot that might have come from a loose oil cooler pipe. I also found clean oil under the flywheel housing where it buts against the engine back plate so cleaned it as best as I could but no oil appeared there over a minute or so.

The gearbox was grossly overfilled by close to an inch so I am sitting on the fence over a potential front seal leak pending more running & testing/feeling for oil  cleaning.

The drip tray really needs cleaning so paper can go under the engine as a leak tell tail.

Thanks for the update.