And we're off! Leicester and beyond ?

Featured Posts

I'm Issy, we've been live-aboards on NB Josephine (my OH is Nigel) for eight years, cruising mostly GU Northamptonshire while I worked ft at Northampton Guildhall. I have taken early retirement at beginning of May and we're just preparing to go go go on Friday, 1st June! 

We're at Market Harborough now and going to head for Leicester, get our bottom blacked (first time tssk) at Langley Mill, check out the Chesterfield canal, take a look at Lincoln, maybe Boston. Then across Burton on Trent, Loughborough way round to Ashby to visit my sister in Hinckley. We're going to Fairport Convention Festival at Cropredy in August and then, instead of hurrying back as usual, carrying on to Banbury and Oxford. Then back to Braunston and along to Stratford upon Avon via Leamington and Warwick and return to Northampton in September. 

Sound like a plan? We'll see.. ? xx

IMG_20180326_211856.jpg

FB_IMG_1508954920518.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your venture.

But I have to say that's a lot of cruising. Ashley, Braunston, Cropredy, Chesterfield, Lincoln, Boston. I guess it can be done but so will you be.

Mind you our rate of travel this year has, so far, been very disappointing, to us. Words like rut and stuck come to mind. Tomorrow we're on the move again. 

Exciting times for you and Nigel.

Enjoy the River Soar - its a lovely river. There are now three safe moorings in Leicester. Castle Gardens, Friars Mill and Memory Lane. Friars Mill is about 300m northof Castle Gardens and has water. Memory Lane is above Limekiln lock and is not far off the golden mile. There is a useful Aldi at Aylestone on the way into Leicester its above Aylestone Mill lock. Its on the off side and you moor to a post and railing fence.

Loughborough is a good place to stock up - market days are Thursday and Saturday with bric-a-brac on Fridays.

8 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your venture.

But I have to say that's a lot of cruising. Ashley, Braunston, Cropredy, Chesterfield, Lincoln, Boston. I guess it can be done but so will you be.

Mind you our rate of travel this year has, so far, been very disappointing, to us. Words like rut and stuck come to mind. Tomorrow we're on the move again. 

Exciting times for you and Nigel.

It might be too ambitious - we're not going to stick madly to it if it seems too fast. We've only ever gone anywhere within the limits of annual leave, so we are used to running to a tight schedule and heading home after a week! We'll have to remember to slow and breathe... ? 

Have a good summer yourselves x

2 hours ago, Richard T said:

Enjoy the River Soar - its a lovely river. There are now three safe moorings in Leicester. Castle Gardens, Friars Mill and Memory Lane. Friars Mill is about 300m northof Castle Gardens and has water. Memory Lane is above Limekiln lock and is not far off the golden mile. There is a useful Aldi at Aylestone on the way into Leicester its above Aylestone Mill lock. Its on the off side and you moor to a post and railing fence.

Loughborough is a good place to stock up - market days are Thursday and Saturday with bric-a-brac on Fridays.

Ooh really good info - thank you. We did a small Leicester Ring a couple of years ago, and had a lovely stay at Castle Gardens but I know it's only small. x

50 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

If you’re going to Boston, don’t forget that you can cross the Wash and then head up the Nene all the way to Northampton. It’s a great trip, but probably best for you at the end of the summer on the way home.

Sssshhh... I'm hoping OH forgets this option ? I did look at some information about it - it would be amazing but I feel a little scared - not being a natural water baby ?  Not this year... ?

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

Sounds llike me a good plan to me, we want to Boston last summer, very interesting trip.

Was it? We had more or less ruled it out as too far on from Lincoln and was it worth it.. I do think now that it might be interesting as couple of people have said so - I'll do a bit of research ?

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Welcome to the forum.

I guess from the thread title you are not quite as ambitious as Buzz Lightyear? ?

Haha - not this time ???? Maybe next year ?