Unstable idling of gas fueled generator

Theo

Featured Posts

I have a Kipor 1000 suitcase generator on which I have installed a Sail and Trail gas conversion.  I have had it for a bit now and find the gas conversion really really convenient but...

...it hunts on idle.

Any suggestions?

Nick

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Can you adjust the idle mixture? Hunting can be a sign of over-rich mixture.

I'll have a go.  Thanks

That would figure.  When it's under load it runs perfectly.  It would need more fuel under load.

Edited by Theo
Add a bit.

Yes, I did, when I first got the genny, some time ago and I did lots of fiddling and improved matters but never completely cured it.  Since I stopped living aboard I hadn't used the genny until yesterday.  Started well after leaving it in the hold for a couple of years.

N

5 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Off the wall idea but when the Honda ones start doing this it is due to a restricted exhaust. Depends how much use it has had and whether the silencer has rusted inside.

Interesting  idea but I don't see this as being the problem which had existed from when the generator was only a month or two old (That was when I go reallly, really fend up with the running cost and inconvenience of petrol.)

One of the modifications that did improve things quite a lot was to drill some large holes in the attractive yellow casing to admit more air.  I had noticed that removing the access cover for the air filter led to the improvement but I couldn't leave it off because that big demand valve is bolted to it.

N

3 minutes ago, Theo said:

One of the modifications that did improve things quite a lot was to drill some large holes in the attractive yellow casing to admit more air.  I had noticed that removing the access cover for the air filter led to the improvement...

Once more suggesting a too-rich mixture. 

6 hours ago, WotEver said:

Once more suggesting a too-rich mixture. 

Quite so, but thanks for pointing it out.

N