Trans Pennine Canal (L&L) 1972 film

Flyboy

Featured Posts

18 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

It doesn't look like that now

Indeed much of what he suggested has come to fruition, especially in Skipton and Leeds.

I've never really thought about the flats at Bingley being 'connected' with the canal though.

Nairn in the film (at about 8:10) talks about the original design aesthetic of the canal system as the 'discipline of black and white' suiting almost every structure across the system and complains about the loss of this consistency. 

Hmm ...

Slide1.png

1 hour ago, Patrick_C said:

Nairn in the film (at about 8:10) talks about the original design aesthetic of the canal system as the 'discipline of black and white' suiting almost every structure across the system and complains about the loss of this consistency. 

Hmm ...

Slide1.png

large.jpg0ce2a85878ac60555db8af962a1925ea.jpg

23 hours ago, MJG said:

No traffic lights on Foulridge tunnel, I bet that was interesting.

Timed Windows perhaps?

Traffic lights were installed for a short time in the 1950s, but a timed system was used from when the tunnel opened. This also extended to when the tunnel tug operated, as this notice from the Vint Hill Killick 1836543800_1903FoulridgeTunneltimingst10D764Box98BradfordRO.JPG.654bcf8119030e803eac172bd8221d6a.JPGpapers in Bradford Record Office shows.

• 3 weeks later...

This brings back memories of my first outing on a canal at 12 years old. My parents bought a clinker built day boat and trailer in 1972 (Same year as this film), we launched it for the first time in Leeds basin on the slipway which is directly behind and to the left of Nairn at he end of the film when he's talking to camera (29:36).

We sailed up and down the canal basin for a while and then negotiated Office lock. It seemed so deep at the time, but it's quite a shallow lock in reality.

I also have a vague memory of a disused lock under the arches which went onto the river. The lock and the slipway are long gone of course, but i kept an interest in canals from that day. My parents had boats until the late 70's and i've kept the tradition going up to the present day

Reminiscing over!