Petrol on canals

Featured Posts

Hi everyone. Im about to take to the water for the first time . Im using a small grp cruiser and have a concern about getting petrol. Has anyone ever made notes re petrol stations near canals?. I have a petrol station finder app on my phone. But its really for cars not boats. If anyone not busy next month. Im launching at Bristol docks and would appreciate some help. Got a man from Shiply couriers to tow and launch. But im a tad nervous about locks etc as a solo. Even good advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys

18 minutes ago, the blind novice said:

Hi everyone. Im about to take to the water for the first time . Im using a small grp cruiser and have a concern about getting petrol. Has anyone ever made notes re petrol stations near canals?. I have a petrol station finder app on my phone. But its really for cars not boats. If anyone not busy next month. Im launching at Bristol docks and would appreciate some help. Got a man from Shiply couriers to tow and launch. But im a tad nervous about locks etc as a solo. Even good advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Some stations may be more picky on how much Petrol you can take in a portable can..   the limits really for storing are, so if you take the right can....

What containers can I use to store petrol?

The legislation allows you to store petrol in the following containers:

• plastic containers storing up to 10 litres
  • metal containers storing up to 20 litres
  • demountable fuel tank up to 30 litres
Edited by Robbo

Do you really need petrol?  I bought a petrol suitcase generator and converted it to gas.  Much cheaper to run and gas is easily available.

Whether or no you can must depend on how the conversion can be fitted to your outboard but Sail and Trail sell types where the big demand valve can be fitted to the generator or the gas bottle so you might be lucky.

Nick

17 hours ago, the blind novice said:

RCR's "Waternav" app http://www.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/waternav/ gives you this information, not just canalside filling stations, and a lot more besides.   It's not 100% reliable but we've found it really useful for all sorts of stuff.  My wife has to buy the Saturday Telegraph (for the crosswords) so knowing where the nearest newsagent/shop/petrol station is essential.  We have unfortunately  been on one or two abortive expeditions to a closed down pub but the app is intended to be interactive so at least you can stop someone else making the same mistake.  

Just now, Neil2 said:

RCR's "Waternav" app http://www.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/waternav/ gives you this information, not just canalside filling stations, and a lot more besides.   It's not 100% reliable but we've found it really useful for all sorts of stuff.  My wife has to buy the Saturday Telegraph (for the crosswords) so knowing where the nearest newsagent/shop/petrol station is essential.  We have unfortunately  been on one or two abortive expeditions to a closed down pub but the app is intended to be interactive so at least you can stop someone else making the same mistake.  

Thankyou for that info sir. Just what I was looking for.

On 26/05/2018 at 19:41, Robbo said:

Some stations may be more picky on how much Petrol you can take in a portable can..   the limits really for storing are, so if you take the right can....

When did that change? Used to be plastic up to 5 litres and metal up to 10 litres (or the fuel tank) and not more than two containers

Just now, Iain_S said:

When did that change? Used to be plastic up to 5 litres and metal up to 10 litres (or the fuel tank) and not more than two containers

And a MAXIMUM total of 30 litres. If you have a 'fixed' tank installation then its contents do not count in the allowance.

The allowance relates solely to 'loose' containers / cans.

From the HSE Website

Suitable portable containers are defined in Schedule 2 (para 6) and Schedule 3 of the regulations. UN approved containers are an example of such containers.

More detailed information on portable petrol storage containers PDF is available.

Does the petrol in the fuel tank of my car count towards the total I can store?

No – the petrol in the fuel tank of your vehicle, including boats and aircraft, does not count when you are calculating the total amount you are storing.

How much petrol can I store on a vehicle?

You can store up to 30 litres of petrol in a maximum of 2 suitable containers in your vehicle.  For the purpose of these Regulations a ‘vehicle’ is interpreted as any type of vehicle so includes boats, aircraft and hovercraft. This type of storage counts towards the total you can store at non workplace premises. Carriage of petrol is covered by the Carriage of Dangerous Goods (CDG) and the European agreement (ADR)

Interesting to note that unless you have a premises licence it would appear to be illegal to fill your own tank - 

Can I dispense petrol into the tank of my vehicle, boat or airplane at my home, club or my association?

Yes, provided you have a licence to store petrol at your premises issued by your local Petroleum Enforcing Authority (PEA).  Your local PEA can issue you with a licence if you are storing more than 275 litres of petrol, and the licence can include conditions relating to your storage and dispensing arrangements.

If you do not have a licence to store petrol, you should not dispense petrol into the tank of vehicle with an internal combustion engine, either by manual or electrical means.

48 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Interesting to note that unless you have a premises licence it would appear to be illegal to fill your own tank - 

Can I dispense petrol into the tank of my vehicle, boat or airplane at my home, club or my association?

Yes, provided you have a licence to store petrol at your premises issued by your local Petroleum Enforcing Authority (PEA).  Your local PEA can issue you with a licence if you are storing more than 275 litres of petrol, and the licence can include conditions relating to your storage and dispensing arrangements.

If you do not have a licence to store petrol, you should not dispense petrol into the tank of vehicle with an internal combustion engine, either by manual or electrical means.

So don't run out of petrol at home then.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Or fill your lawn mower etc etc.

The law can be an ass at times.

Didn't mention mowers "If you do not have a licence to store petrol, you should not dispense petrol into the tank of vehicle with an internal combustion engine, either by manual or electrical means."

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Didn't mention mowers "If you do not have a licence to store petrol, you should not dispense petrol into the tank of vehicle with an internal combustion engine, either by manual or electrical means."

I don't have a licence to store petrol, my ride-on mower is a vehicle, it has an internal combustion engine and I manually pour petrol in.

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Is a ride on mower not a vehicle then?