Marple flight closed again(sat pm )

alan rivis

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

From what I can gather the latest on the Marple flight is to commenced a temporary repair on 25 June to enable the flight to be used until the winter stoppage "season" when a permanent repair will be carried out.  The temporary repair may or may not be a success and we'll know either way on 28 June.

I'm heading that way with the intent of going through the flight early July.  What I'm keen to avoid is travelling all the way there and then finding I can't get through, but even dragging my feet a bit I'll be north of Great Haywood Junction by the report on 28 June, where I'll go South instead of North if the Peak Forest is off limits.  However, if there's no hope, I may as well alter course now.   So, do I risk continuing heading towards Marple possibly only to have to turn back, or do I pull the plug now?

Is anyone in a position to say whether the temporary repair is likely to be a success; its in the balance (as it appears); or if there's very little likelihood of the flight reopening in the near future?  Speculation welcome - I've got to base my plan on something and I'm in the dark!  

Well CRT must have some faith in it or they would just close it now and start proper repaires

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well CRT must have some faith in it or they would just close it now and start proper repaires

Ok, so your in the camp that says it's all gonna be right early next week based on CRT either being modest in their ability to effect a temporary repair or exaggerating the scale of the problem? If you're right, I should plough on  safe in the knowledge Whaley Bridge is within my reach.  It's a possibility!  :D

22 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Ok, so your in the camp that says it's all gonna be right early next week based on CRT either being modest in their ability to effect a temporary repair or exaggerating the scale of the problem? If you're right, I should plough on  safe in the knowledge Whaley Bridge is within my reach.  It's a possibility!  :D

You asked if anyone had, I replied CRT must have. I have no idea.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

You asked if anyone had, I replied CRT must have. I have no idea.

Me neither - hence why I asked! :D Maybe we should meet up at Great Haywood Junction and start a Marple-bound convoy of the unknowing! 

35 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

You don't need Marple locks to be working  to get to Whaley Bridge from Kidsgrove/T &M

6 minutes ago, billh said:

You don't need Marple locks to be working  to get to Whaley Bridge from Kidsgrove/T &M

Thanks for taking an interest and the time to post. Whaley Bridge is kind of the loose aiming point before carrying on North. The plan is a bit sketchy to say the least, but I fancy a look at the peak forest canal without it being a simple out and back as the trip is a bit more open ended than that.  I was interested in carrying on North for a poke about where I've not been before, but if it's going to be stymied by a stoppage, it can wait for another time. Dunno really,  hence why I'm trying to figure it out in advance of knowing the outcome! :)

22 minutes ago, Señor Chris said:

You don't need to go down the flight at Marple to get to Whaley Bridge.

As above Chris! Thanks for posting. :)

we are based "North" of Marple Locks on the Ashton Canal, so all our boating since last October when Marple shut  has involved a roundabout route through Manchester to go South, 27 down to Castlefield, then another 30 something up Cheshire locks. It was great fun with a motor and butty coming round from Bollington having Marple closed 10 minutes before we got there last year?

9 hours ago, billh said:

we are based "North" of Marple Locks on the Ashton Canal, so all our boating since last October when Marple shut  has involved a roundabout route through Manchester to go South, 27 down to Castlefield, then another 30 something up Cheshire locks. It was great fun with a motor and butty coming round from Bollington having Marple closed 10 minutes before we got there last year?

Crikey Bill, and here's me fussing about whether it affects our little jaunt: it must  be a proper headache for you! Whilst our trip was based of fancying a nosey up the Peak Forest after motorcycling in the Peak District last year, we intended to explore further north, including the Ashton. It's not an area I'm very familiar with on or off the boat. I guess we'll just keep meandering and see what happens.

I hope the temporary repair works next week, but more for you and everyone else local to the area now rather than for us!  Fingers crossed for y'all!  :)

Well I'm still wandering about after being stopped by Marple Locks last September.  Left my home mooring at Sowerby Bridge in April 2017, and just may get back this year if my jinxing power fails to close the Leeds & Liverpool (it still seems pretty strong, having emptied the canal at Maghull as I was heading to Liverpool).

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

top lock 16 has a notice on the beam in the new blue but gates are unlocked ? Today no Crt bodies about so a 38ft went through .I do not know if they did the full flight or if they found lock 11 locked ? Apparently Richard Parry may be up this week.

Probably explains all the Blue signs in the area.

Edited by b0atman

7 hours ago, b0atman said:

Lock 15 work done by contractors so should have been a price job maybe even 3 quotes .Apparently not as it cost CRT more than they thought ? 

You won't be able to get any contractor to give a fixed price quote on a job with so many potential issues. It is a 250 year old system built without any standardisation after after all.

You would either have to give them the opportunity to investigate for the issues at your expense, or more likely get them to do it at cost plus a fixed percentage, after agreeing labour rates for the skills needed.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

You won't be able to get any contractor to give a fixed price quote on a job with so many potential issues.

You would either have to give them the opportunity to investigate for the issues at your expense, or more likely get them to do it at cost plus a fixed percentage, after agreeing labour rates for the skills needed.

In other words, expensive problems have expensive solutions. I don't have a problem with that. Nothing alters the fact that some problems cost a lot to fix.

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

I can see what the problem is straight away, if they had built them for proper size boats like the ones on our canals up north [21 foot wide locks etc] we wouldnt be having these issues would we ?

Apart from the Scottish canals, most of the northern canals were built around 14ft 6in to 15ft 6in, and todays wider ones were only widened at a later date. This applies to most river navigations as well.