Oliver Cromwell final moments

celiaken

Featured Posts

The buyers of the Oliver Cromwell ‘want answers’ after the boat sunk in the Irish Sea.

Seamus Carey, owner of Crannagh Marina Complex, paid £245,000 for the Mississippi-style paddle steamer.

It was due to become a floating hotel and restaurant at the marina in Northern Ireland but the boat never arrived in Coleraine.

Mr Carey told ITV: The idea that you can sink a boat like this in the middle of the Irish Sea in broad daylight.

“Someone has to come up with some answers.

“We have certainly paid a substantial sum of money and expect answers.”

According to Gloucestershire Live

1 hour ago, StephenA said:

“Someone has to come up with some answers.

1 hour ago, StephenA said:

“We have certainly paid a substantial sum of money and expect answers.”

Sounds to me like a bloke who hd no insurance.

The impact with the dock was not really that hard, and I assume that was Sharpness she was leaving but she did not sink till Anglesey????

However it did not look like an unfortunate accident, I reckon there is some negligence here. I know nothing about commercial towing on the big sea, but should somebody have been on board checking for water ingress?

................Dave

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Sounds to me like a bloke who hd no insurance.

I assume he wants the towing company to pay.....

8 hours ago, dmr said:

The impact with the dock was not really that hard, and I assume that was Sharpness she was leaving but she did not sink till Anglesey????

However it did not look like an unfortunate accident, I reckon there is some negligence here. I know nothing about commercial towing on the big sea, but should somebody have been on board checking for water ingress?

................Dave

That's what I have thought too - obviously no-one thought that impact was a serious one, but surely there are some checks carried out during an ocean tow : checking that the covers haven't come loose, that there isn't water ingress etc.

1 minute ago, StephenA said:

Well yes. But neither he nor the towing company would need to pay had there been adequate insurance for the trip, which was my point. 

I am speculating that he has now discovered his own insurance on the boat did not cover this open sea passage, and is consequently looking for someone else to foot the bill for his loss. 

So when it was said that there was a delay while preparations to the boat and insurance was sorted out prior to the tow, what insurance would that have been referring to?

15 minutes ago, WotEver said:

So when it was said that there was a delay while preparations to the boat and insurance was sorted out prior to the tow, what insurance would that have been referring to?

The insurance which has now announced it isn't paying out, I bet!

• Haha 1

It's a shame about the Oliver Cromwell.?

However, the MV Kingston sounded wonderful on the video . Further investigation(i.e. Googling) reveals the  main engine is a Mirrlees K series, made in Stockport.

I just knew it would be something nice.?

4 hours ago, StephenA said:

That's what I have thought too - obviously no-one thought that impact was a serious one, but surely there are some checks carried out during an ocean tow : checking that the covers haven't come loose, that there isn't water ingress etc.

There would be no crew on the tow, normal to tow dead ship like this, they should have had a paint mark on the waterline of the Oliver Cromwell which is normal on this sort of tow.

12 hours ago, dmr said:

................Dave

I thought that it looked like a really hard wallop.  It's a big mass to come to a dead stop like that in such a short time.

14 hours ago, dmr said:

................Dave

Well , it was hard enough to stop dead with the tug still pulling.

5 hours ago, Theo said:

I thought that it looked like a really hard wallop.  It's a big mass to come to a dead stop like that in such a short time.

In my opinion, It was quite a heavy thump, and the vessel appeared to land on a corner which makes any possible damage worse.. I have seen a similar incident punch a hole on a vessel with, I suspect, heavier shell plating than the barge in question. Alternatively, as I mentioned in an earlier posting, it could have split a weld, and if there was water ingress it might take some hours to take effect. I agree with Dalesman that it is quite normal to paint a white line at the waterline as a visual aid to see if the trim of the tow has changed during the sea passage.

Howard

Edited by howardang

• 4 weeks later...

An investigation has been launched

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/investigation-launched-sinking-oliver-cromwell-1695340

Investigations have now been launched into the sinking which happened 12 miles west of South Stack near Holyhead, around 200 nautical miles in the journey.

A spokesman for the Maritime and Coastguard Agency said: “We are currently investigating this incident and we are unable to comment at this stage.”

On 28/05/2018 at 11:26, StephenA said:

Surely they would have had some bilge pumps and some power to them?

Plus some bods to eye ball take note of & report to who ever the state of the goings on aboausually the set up for a trip of that nature would have pumps set up & ready even if not running

12 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Plus some bods to eye ball take note of & report to who ever the state of the goings on aboausually the set up for a trip of that nature would have pumps set up & ready even if not running

That's what I'd have expected - a dead weight tow across open sea like that......