tank blacking not drying

Featured Posts

We had our tank blacked last year whilst being repainted and since then we had noticed a funny smell to the hot water and a 'film' on the water, taking some advice we decided to drain the tank down and see if the blacking was still soft and it was there was a very thick soft area in one corner. Surprising as we left the tank empty for 4 weeks after it was done! Last week we scraped a lot of the thick area off to leave just a thin layer and left the tank lid slightly open the advice we were given is that it shouldn't have taken more than a few days to harden up like this but here we are a week later and its still soft. Is there anything we can do to encourage it to dry? needless to say atm i'm thank full our Buckby cans are capable of holding water!

thanks

Being in a corner I suspect the evaporating solvent is being trapped so is preventing the blacking hardening. I think that you need some kind of fan to blow the air in the tank about and hopefully drive the solvent vapours out.

A small heater with the lid ajar might help. Are you sure that they used potable bitumen? We regularly did ours and had no trouble, even in thick areas and the slight odour would disappear after the first fill.

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

It's the same stuff. "Potable" bitumen has just had the testing done on it to certify potability, hence the increased price. Anyway, whether it's marketed as potable or not should have no effect on drying times.

The stuff we used seemed a lot more refined, and set well. I'm no expert but suspect it is substantially different, you get many different products that are two pack epoxy, glue, paint and a variety of others but wouldn't regard them as the same.