Do new locks have names?

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

In one of those moments when I was awake and really didn't want to get up or disturb the household I found myself idly listing all the staircase locks on the system in the hopes of dropping off again - major fail because I got to two of them and didn't know their names! The first was the new two rise on the Droitwich, which I simply christened "Droitwich" even though that could cover about 5 locks, the second was the one connecting the Savick Brook to the Lancaster Canal

These two, along with two more locks on the Droitwich and 5 or 6 more on the Ribble Link are totally new - they aren't restored or repositioned, and that led to me wondering whether they have names and indeed whether  the dozen or so new locks on restoration schemes generally have names. I'm aware that the  extra one on the Monty is Graham Palmer Lock, but beyond that I was clueless.

There aren't that many totally new locks on the system, most have been repositioned and have kept the old name/number (and there s probably not that many of those).

So counting locks trying to get to sleep led me to being awake wondering whether new locks had names - anyone want to help my insomnia by telling me?

PS - I'm not sure this is general boating but also not sure where else to put it!  

I can see where you are coming from but they are on a new line several hundred yards from the previous route and their formation, which includes the two rise, bears no resemblance. If the old locks had a local geographical name (And I don't know that they did) it wouldn't readily transfer to these.

Having just done a check in the Droitwich junction canal there is now one more lock than there was before the canals closed, so the four new locks are certainly not just relocated, there are four of them instead of three, they include a two rise and they lead to the river Salwarpe at a completely different location to the original connection!

I'll simplify the question - does the new two rise on the Droitwich have a name, and does the three rise on the Ribble Link have a name?

L&L Lock 38 deservedly named after Mike Clarke.   There's something special when a Lock etc. is named after a living person.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/canal-historian-honoured-with-lock-naming-ceremony

Meanwhile; unofficially, there's another bit of what may be called the L&L named after Mr Sid Mason''.

https://canalplan.org.uk/feature/286

Sid hasn't been on duty there much recently.  A bit like how Mr Barry Whitelock was transferred from the Bingley 5.

I'm proud to say that I've been along Sid's Ditch with the eponymous Sid at my side.

15 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

There's also a brand new staircase lock in the Union Canal above the Falkirk Wheel to add to your list.

Does it have a name? (Apart from "the staircase" ! :) )

On 27/05/2018 at 14:06, magpie patrick said:

Having just done a check in the Droitwich junction canal there is now one more lock than there was before the canals closed, so the four new locks are certainly not just relocated, there are four of them instead of three, they include a two rise and they lead to the river Salwarpe at a completely different location to the original connection!

I'll simplify the question - does the new two rise on the Droitwich have a name, and does the three rise on the Ribble Link have a name?

The new locks on the Droitwich Junction are Staircase, Donut and Hanbury Road in descending order. At least they are to me anyway.

JP

5 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Okay, Why Donut? 

Will I wish I hadn't asked?

Because we have a family tradition of doing a donut in the winding hole above the lock while it is being prepared.

Edited by Captain Pegg

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 20:40, Pagefield said:

L&L Lock 38 deservedly named after Mike Clarke.   There's something special when a Lock etc. is named after a living person.

I dunno. An overheard conversation could lead to all sorts of misunderstandings...

"Mike Clark is leaking"

"Mike Clark has collapsed"

or even more of a concern...

"Mike Clark's bottom was sticking"

"Mike Clark's bottom is open"

"I'm just entering Mike Clark"

• Haha 1

Do you realise what a mass stampede to The Search Engines Of Our Choice you have just started?

(Except, no doubt, for the occasional member who sat smugly saying "Ah yes, four locks and three branches as any fule kno").

On 28/05/2018 at 13:29, Iain_S said:

Does it have a name? (Apart from "the staircase" ! :) )

According to the (out of print) Nicholson Scottish Guide, Book 8, the staircase lock above the Falkirk Wheel is listed as Locks 1 and 2. It seems slightly contradictory, however, that the first (and newly constructed) lock on the Union Canal, linking it to the Forth & Clyde Canal, is called Golden Jubilee Lock 3. I would expect the locks to number 1 – 3 starting from the the junction with the F&C, with the numbering increasing in the direction of the terminus in Edinburgh.

7 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

I would expect the locks to number 1 – 3 starting from the the junction with the F&C, with the numbering increasing in the direction of the terminus in Edinburgh.

Could they be numbered on the principle of starting at the Capital City and counting away from there?

I've heard Moira Lock, certainly. The Droitwich Junction locks don't have any signs up, but CRT's asset registry appears to call them Staircase Top/Bottom, Body Brook Lock, and River Lock.

Prince's Lock and Mann Island Lock on the Liverpool Link appear to be formal names. Pomona Lock on the MSC is newish.

There's Black Sluice Lock in Boston, too (but is that a restoration?), and the new lock near Denver onto the Flood Relief Channel...