Manned locks on the Trent

Jan13

Featured Posts

37 minutes ago, Jan13 said:

Anybody know if Town Lock / Nether Lock etc are manned on Bank Holiday Monday?

Are you single handed?

If you have got at least one crew they are a doddle to operate even if no lockies are on duty.

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes - I know.

Ah... I see what you did there!?

Familiar with said locks and have operated one when unmanned. But haven’t been through on a Bank Holiday and wondered if the volunteers treated it as a weekend. Son is coming for the first time & want to make sure he knows what to expect

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They will be manned for the normal 'Summer hours'

From memory - 09:00 to 18:00

Ah... that sounds like the info I need. Ta!?

3 minutes ago, Jan13 said:

Ah... I see what you did there!?

Familiar with said locks and have operated one when unmanned. But haven’t been through on a Bank Holiday and wondered if the volunteers treated it as a weekend. Son is coming for the first time & want to make sure he knows what to expect

Ahh Jan let me explain. Its bank holiday weekend so you do what we do. Today at 4pm we moored up and will not move again till tuesday. You never if at all possible boat on bank holidays ?

4 minutes ago, Jan13 said:

Ah... that sounds like the info I need. Ta!?

Maybe I should just say "they SHOULD be manned" but these days nothing is guaranteed.

Back end of last Summer was approaching Gunthorpe lock and called up on the radio, no answer, waited a few minutes and tried again, no answer, by this time was almost at the lock, called up again and no answer. 

I called Stoke Lock and asked what was happening and they said the Lockie had a dental appointment and they had no cover for him so the lock was on DIY.

Lights were on Red, and not as they should have been (on amber) for self operation.

Right well - I guess it’s just a case of wait and see! The thrill of the unknown appears to await us.

I guess it’s not a big deal if the lights turn out to be actually accurate!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

3 minutes ago, Jan13 said:

Right well - I guess it’s just a case of wait and see! The thrill of the unknown appears to await us.

I guess it’s not a big deal if the lights turn out to be actually accurate!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Make use of your VHF. The lock keepers are usually okay with no issues. The exceptions are more newsworthy on forums.

14 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh Jan let me explain. Its bank holiday weekend so you do what we do. Today at 4pm we moored up and will not move again till tuesday. You never if at all possible boat on bank holidays ?

We have decided it is time to brave moving on a bank holiday for the first time this year. Eerily quiet heading downstream on the tidal Trent.  The masses have all headed to Newark.

Now moored in West Stockwith for a couple of days after a lovely run down river.

20180526_071934.jpg

20180526_080817.jpg

20180526_110817.jpg

20 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have decided it is time to brave moving on a bank holiday for the first time this year. Eerily quiet heading downstream on the tidal Trent.  The masses have all headed to Newark.

Now moored in West Stockwith for a couple of days after a lovely run down river.

20180526_071934.jpg

20180526_080817.jpg

20180526_110817.jpg

The new crew member appears to be one happy bunny ( doggy ) We are holed up till tuesday top of Fobney lock in the sunshine ?

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The new crew member appears to be one happy bunny ( doggy ) We are holed up till tuesday top of Fobney lock in the sunshine ?

First time we have gone fast with him today and he loved it. In fact I think he preferred it to plodding along!

We are not moving now until Monday morning when it will be the mad charge for Torksey Lock when everyone wants to get in at the same time ?

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

20180526_071934.jpg

20180526_080817.jpg

He looks like he has taken to it like a duck to water.

It's funny some dogs seem to be completely unphased by being on a boat (both ours were) and others seem to be completely fearful of them and turn into gibbering wrecks. Most seem fine though.

On 26/05/2018 at 12:43, Naughty Cal said:

First time we have gone fast with him today and he loved it. 

Seems like that dog has landed on its feet. His coat looks  much like our friends Cockerpoo . I have never owned a dog but  can see he loves being a boat dog.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, MartynG said:

Seems like that dog has landed on its feet. His coat looks  much like our friends Cockerpoo . I have never owned a dog but  can see he loves being a boat dog.

He loves it on the boat. Can't wait to get him say for a couple of weeks in July now. I would go as far to say that he prefers being on the boat to being at home.

We are pretty sure he is a Jackapoo. He has a lot of similarities with our friends Jackapoo Jack. 

So we went from Kings to Hazleford today. All locks manned. Quite a few boats about but seemed to be available moorings at every spot we passed. Beautiful weather, nice walk round the lock and weir - excellent day out!