Today's Catch

Featured Posts

Welcome to the Kennett, and to K&A boating. You say "of course" the flow took you against the landing but you can't bank on that, its a funny eddy there and sometimes takes you out!l   When you get through Woolhampton do stop at the RowBarge for a pint. Its a bit posh but they always have a good range of beers. Expensive, so a good introduction to K&A beer prices. You won't see cheap beer till you get to the British Lion in Devizes.

.................Dave

10 minutes ago, dmr said:

Welcome to the Kennett, and to K&A boating. You say "of course" the flow took you against the landing but you can't bank on that, its a funny eddy there and sometimes takes you out!l   When you get through Woolhampton do stop at the RowBarge for a pint. Its a bit posh but they always have a good range of beers. Expensive, so a good introduction to K&A beer prices. You won't see cheap beer till you get to the British Lion in Devizes.

.................Dave

Yes its not since 2002 that we have ventured on here and as everywhere standards are dropping. The two idiot blokes had apparently been in the lock floating about untied for about half hour before we arrived :banghead: They are lucky my wife is polite as my bro in laws wife on the boat behind takes no prisoners. It must have rained down here as there was a very good flow on and we hadnt had any rain ont Thames. We then got to Fobney and another two blokes on a forty foot boat taking the whole lock landing who were novices so the wife saved those two :banghead: Jeeeeeeeeeesus are there any boaters on this canal or just boats? with owners? I know the area is devoid of sensible beer prices :huh: but hopefuly we will survive and will try out your suggestions :cheers:

Edited by mrsmelly

Right,

The Catherine Wheel is Newbury sells beer. The monument is ok if you like them rough and basic, but busy if they have music on. Lock Stock does a very nice Fullers ESB at eye-watering price and the customers wear suits.

John O Guant in Hungerford has nice beer and food but is a bit posh and expensive. Drink 9 get the 10th one free or something like that. Not difficult over a couple of days.

Cross Keys at Bedwyn closed for property development, other pub is mostly a restaurant.

Waterfront Bar at Pewsey wharf is a very interesting place. Try to eat there too.

Say a prayer as you past the closed Barge at Honeystreet, Locals trying hard to buy it.

British Lion in Devizes is a real proper Boozer. There is also a Micro. Hear Rumours that the Southgate is now good but its a little walk.

Barge at Seend is an eater but has a drinking area and nice 6X (better than most). Pub up road now run by boaters and I hear good things.

Three Horseshoes in Bradford on Avon is ROUGH but lovely. Good beer at good prices.

Too many pubs in Bath!

.............Dave

46 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Jeeeeeeeeeesus are there any boaters on this canal or just boats? with owners? I know the area is devoid of sensible beer prices :huh: but hopefuly we will survive and will try out your suggestions :cheers:

Nope we were the last, not until Dave or Mike return ..............

Pewsey has a tiny tap house next to the Spar, standing room only but good ales and very quirky.

5 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Pewsey has a tiny tap house next to the Spar, standing room only but good ales and very quirky.

If I can moor :cheers:

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

If I can moor :cheers:

True, if the visitor moorings are full and you don't mind walking there's towpath mooring between the two bridges East of Pewsey. Very pretty there.

4 hours ago, Meanderingviking said:

Closes at 9pm iirc, so don’t let that catch you out! 

6 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

Given the nature of the boating community in the various stages of commercial usage - such as level of education, literacy, tribal communication etc etc - I suspect it is extremely likely that many different names were used for the same places. The idea of having definitive lists just did not occur to people in previous generations - standardisation is a very modern concept. After all, they probably could not even agree on the same spelling even if they could on the sound!