Today's Catch

Featured Posts

Set off from water point below 3 Locks at Stoke Hammond, Grand Union, looking forward to the help from the volockies on duty today. Enter the first lock , put boat in to reverse and get the most awful metallic clunking sound. Same in forward, so I am now convinced something large and metallic is snarled up in the prop. Hubby makes sure the enthusiastic helpers don't start filling the lock whilst I open the weed hatch and plunge arm in to the 'ole. I was wondering where that had gone ......

20180525_161519.jpg

There's one for equality of the sexes (Not that I believe that the sexes are equal.  Why should they be?  Shouldn't we all play to our strengths?)  I am the one who dives down the weed hatch.  I wouldn't ask Thea to do that.  Does that make me sexist?

N

Edited by Theo
  • Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think Stoke Hammond is on the T&M near Stone, silly....

Stone is good, I like a few pints at the Swan, we did get very stuck in Star Lock year before last, its very silted. Ms Viking should be fine though as I don't think she's as deep as us ?

............Dave

19 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think Stoke Hammond is on the T&M near Stone, silly....

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

Stone is good, I like a few pints at the Swan, we did get very stuck in Star Lock year before last, its very silted. Ms Viking should be fine though as I don't think she's as deep as us ?

............Dave

Yes we have escaped the clutches of the K and A, t'is the Grand Union!

28 minutes ago, Theo said:

There's one for equality of the sexes (Not that I believe that the sexes are equal.  Why should they be?  Shouldn't we all play to our strengths?)  I am the one who dives down the weed hatch.  I wouldn't ask Thea to do that.  Does that make me sexist?

N

I wasn't asked, did it all on my own initiative........?

Big mistake, an extra 20 yds walk would have found a really good pub, huge range of real ales, and a good age mix of local customers. Live music from wed or thus every weekend, lots of good old pub rock. However they do have the odd Elvis night and thats when the Star becomes the place to be.

.............Dave

1 minute ago, Meanderingviking said:

You'll be back. 

There's NO ESCAPE.

I miss you. K&A is dull without you, ;) 

Just now, dmr said:

Big mistake, an extra 20 yds walk would have found a really good pub, huge range of real ales, and a good age mix of local customers. Live music from wed or thus every weekend, lots of good old pub rock. However they do have the odd Elvis night and thats when the Star becomes the place to be.

.............Dave

How odd! How DID I miss that? 

Actually I know the answer but she would not want me explaining on here haha!

3 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

?

Is this a holiday or have you really gone for good?????? We plan to return maybe September, K&A will be lacking if you really have gone.

...............Dave

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You'll be back. 

There's NO ESCAPE.

I miss you. K&A is dull without you, ;) 

Ah bless ? - you can escape too, Aldebaran will get you out of there!

29 minutes ago, dmr said:

Stoke Hammond??? Don't recognise the name, is that just below Kintbury ??????  ?

..............Dave (at Winsford on the Weaver near Hungerford)

Three Locks on the Grand Union are correctly "Stoke Hammond Three Locks".

"Soulbury Three Locks" is a modern invention, that most people seem to use, but it is not how they would have been known by working boaters.

I try to use the correct name, but it confuses people!

Actually just wondering about racing to the Regents canal... something sublime is attracting me. 

Just now, dmr said:

Is this a holiday or have you really gone for good?????? We plan to return maybe September, K&A will be lacking if you really have gone.

...............Dave

Yes we really have, it's great to be boating off the K and A but we will be loitering around Leighton Buzzard'ish, so make sure you pass and say hello on the way, we will miss seeing Vox Stellarum and your goodselves.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Actually just wondering about racing to the Regents canal... something sublime is attracting me. 

Do tell .............

10 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Yes we really have, it's great to be boating off the K and A but we will be loitering around Leighton Buzzard'ish,

Hmmm my experience of the GU was not great.The further south we cruised, the guttier it got. 

I not felt any attraction to go back since. 

10 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Do tell .............

No chance.

Ok there is this GURL.....

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hmmm my experience of the GU was not great.The further south we cruised, the guttier it got. 

After zinging through Newbury, Reading, and the Thames on Amber flags it's been rather peaceful, and the countryside is lovely.  T'other half hails from this neck of the woods, though it's been some time since he was here. We have most enjoyed the fact that people smile and talk to you, it's been great, I think some of the politics on the K and A was gettng to us.

After zinging through Newbury, Reading, and the Thames on Amber flags it's been rather peaceful, and the countryside is lovely.  T'other half hails from this neck of the woods, though it's been some time since he was here. We have most enjoyed the fact that people smile and talk to you, it's been great, I think some of the politics on the K and A was gettng to us.

That's odd, I find most people smile at me too. Or perhaps it is a snarl?

Politics passes me by, other than The Barge and the Cross Keys both being closed. That man is a GEIGHLORD. Huh.

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No chance.

Ok there is this GURL.....

OK say no more .....?

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's odd, I find most people smile at me too. Or perhaps it is a snarl?

Politics passes me by, other than The Barge and the Cross Keys both being closed. That man is a GEIGHLORD. Huh.

Yes we felt it had passed us by, but now we're away from it, really notice the difference in atmosphere.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

"Soulbury Three Locks" is a modern invention, that most people seem to use, but it is not how they would have been known by working boaters.

And how many canal maps and guides have Maffes (if that is how its spelt) on them ?

The difference between the names used for places by the working boaters in their time & modern day place names used by today's boaters are similar to  Welsh & English persons trying to have a conversation if  you like me ceased boating soon after the end of carrying I find I still refer to the as was then place names & am confused some what by the names used today

12 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

And the confusion can be added to be the fact the lock 23, the next one northwards, is called Stoke Hammond Lock

Edited by Mike Todd

When discussing canals & locks with the ex Barlow's, and Waterways Captain I visit I have to use the boaters name for places. If I use today's names he says to me

"Ray, I don't know where you are talking about." koukouvágia of this parish has list of locks on the GU as boaters named them.

e.g. Newens, Stewps two, Nags head, Cow Roast, Stokers et al.

Edited by Ray T

17 hours ago, Meanderingviking said:

I went through Reading yesterday there was quite a flow on, my bro in law behind in his boat. As I approached the lock after the traffic light section the flow was great and of course it took me against the landing stage. My bro in law clanged alongside me and  my missus went to the lock where there was a boat in with no one to be seen!! She peered in and two idiots were sat  at their table eating lunch. The missus explained a few lifes facts to them and they came out and tried to exit the lock with us both on the landing rather than letting at least one of us in first even though the idiots should not have been in there. :banghead: may hem was the order of the day!!