Opportunity for millions to gain happiness right on their doorstep

Ray T

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Radio K.A.O.S more likely.

I had to look it up: apparently an album by one of Pink Floyd, but not a record of which I had ever heard.

Radio Gnome was also a non-Bowie effort, an L.P. by French-based hippy group Gong. The name was based on a Private Eye spoof of the 1960s, in which decade a young Bowie had a single out called 'The Laughing Gnome'.

This may have gone mildly off-topic.

Edited by Athy

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

I had to look it up: apparently an album by one of Pink Floyd, but not a record of which I had ever heard.

Radio Gnome was also a non-Bowie effort, an L.P. by French-based hippy group Gong. The name was based on a Private Eye spoof of the 1960s, in which decade a young Bowie had a single out called 'The Laughing Gnome'.

This may have gone mildly off-topic.

Yes.I am a huge fan of Pink Floyd.Well I was, until the Final cut, that was the final curtain for me until Waters left. The only solo Roger Waters album I like is Radio K.A.O.S.

I remember the 'laughing gnome', but not radio gnome.

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I remember the 'laughing gnome', but not radio gnome.

'Radio Gnome Invisible' was a Gong L.P. from 1973. It was also issued as 'Flying Teapot'. All the hits and more, eh?

Private Eye used to give away a flexi-disc in their Christmas issue. In 1967, when the pirate radio stations had just been closed down, it was 'Radio Gnome' - Lord Gnome being the fictitious and very rich owner of the magazine.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

'Radio Gnome Invisible' was a Gong L.P. from 1973. It was also issued as 'Flying Teapot'. All the hits and more, eh?

Private Eye used to give away a flexi-disc in their Christmas issue. In 1967, when the pirate radio stations had just been closed down, it was 'Radio Gnome' - Lord Gnome being the fictitious and very rich owner of the magazine.

Being one of the few Gong fans still alive... 

"Radio Gnome" is actually a trilogy of albums (Flying Teapot, Angels Egg and You) based on a vision that Gong founder member Daevid Allen experienced, presumably when under the influence of Certain Substances.  Consequently you have to be on drugs to understand any of it, but there's some great music in there and Allen is something of an unsung hero of the 1970's, and he was savvy enough to recruit some top musicians such as Steve Hillage and Pierre Moerlen.  

• Greenie 1

48 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Being one of the few Gong fans still alive... 

"Radio Gnome" is actually a trilogy of albums (Flying Teapot, Angels Egg and You) based on a vision that Gong founder member Daevid Allen experienced, presumably when under the influence of Certain Substances.  Consequently you have to be on drugs to understand any of it, but there's some great music in there and Allen is something of an unsung hero of the 1970's, and he was savvy enough to recruit some top musicians such as Steve Hillage and Pierre Moerlen.  

I must admit that the only Gong album I own is the finely-titled 'Camembert Electrique', but I did take an interest in them when I lived in France in the earlier 1970s, as they were British and they got a fair bit of press over there. I remember Allen's name, and wasn't their singer Jilly Smith?

Edited by Athy

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

I must admit that the only Gong album I own is the finely-titled 'Camembert Electrique', but I did take an interest in them when I lived in France in the earlier 1970s, as they were British and they got a fair bit of press over there. I remember Allen's name, and wasn't their singer Jilly Smith?

Gilly Smith, yes, AKA "Shakti Yoni", all the band members had character names which were part of Allen's vision or so he claimed...  

I hate it when in the modern day they get labelled "that hippy band". I saw Gong a few times, and later when Steve Hillage went solo and took many of the personnel with him.  There wasn't anything "hippy" about them as far as I was concerned, the music was more jazz oriented if anything, and they were one of the tightest bands I've ever seen/heard.  Steve Hillage in his day had absolutely terrifying technique, he was as good as Jeff Beck but unlike the guvnor went off the boil as he got older.

• Angry 1

50 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Gilly Smith, yes, AKA "Shakti Yoni", all the band members had character names which were part of Allen's vision or so he claimed...  

I hate it when in the modern day they get labelled "that hippy band". 

Ah yes, "Shakti Yoni: space whisper", wasn't it? 

Given that they looked like hippies, that they took an interest in drugs and that they lived communally in a farmhouse, I would suggest that it it walks like a duck, etc....it is a comment upon their way of life and not on their musical ability. If it's any consolation, I thought of them as a hippy band in about 1973, not in "the modern day" at all.

Edited by Athy

24 minutes ago, Athy said:

Ah yes, "Shakti Yoni: space whisper", wasn't it? 

Given that they looked like hippies, that they took an interest in drugs and that they lived communally in a farmhouse, I would suggest that it it walks like a duck, etc....it is a comment upon their way of life and not on their musical ability. If it's any consolation, I thought of them as a hippy band in about 1973, not in "the modern day" at all.

I beg to differ you never saw anyone in San Francisco wearing a woolly hat. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I beg to differ you never saw anyone in San Francisco wearing a woolly hat. 

I never saw anyone in San Francisco. I have not been there.

But if that is so, it could be down to climatic differences.

Certainly, British hippies wore them - at least, some of the ones with whom I was at university did!

On 26/05/2018 at 18:45, X Alan W said:

It seems a shame that C&RT feel the need to diversify in seemingly every direction other than keeping the waterways up together they spend vast amounts of money on things that will yield very little in return whilst ignoring the parts they derive income....... 

The theory i have heard, can't recall where though, is that by diversifying into other areas and endorsing wellbeing etc, is that CRT leave them self in a position  to tout for a wider range of public and government grants, aids. Awards etc. 

Seems an eminently reasonable theory and strategy to me. The more monies that can be derived from other sources the less of a burden we as boaters will have to bear. 

So if your desire is for them to drop out if these other areas then  you, and I, will have to accept the consequences if they did. 

Simple question, do you think that only boaters should make up the shortfall in funding after the government reduces its input? 

If yes then please get use to me borrowing some money of you every month when a disproportionate amount of my income will have to go towards paying for my licence. 

If no then what would be your strategy to make up the shortfall?

Maybe CRT have, and I'm sure some may find it hard to believe, a strategy that will benefit us boaters. 

Whatever the strategy is we will always, much as you have done with your post, have to help them keep an eye on the ball. 

Oh and if there I s anyone closer to the CRT decision making process than me, which isn't difficult, I would be interested to hear if the theory has any credence, thanks

Edited by reg
  • Greenie 1

On 26/05/2018 at 18:45, X Alan W said:

It seems a shame that C&RT feel the need to diversify in seemingly every direction other than keeping the waterways up together they spend vast amounts of money on things that will yield very little in return whilst ignoring the parts they derive income....... 

The theory i have heard, can't recall where though, is that by diversifying into other areas and endorsing wellbeing etc, is that they leave the self in a position  to tout for a wider range of public and government grants, aids. Awards etc. 

Seems an eminently reasonable theory and strategy to me. The more monies that can be derived from other sources the less of a burden we as boaters will have to bear. 

So if your desire is for them to drop out if these other areas then  you, and I, will have to accept the consequences if they did. 

Simple question, do you think that only boaters should make up the shortfall in funding after the government reduces its input? 

If yes then please get use to me borrowing some money of you every month when a disproportionate amount of my income will have to go towards paying for my licence. 

Maybe CRT have, and I'm sure some may find it hard to believe, a strategy that will benefit us boaters. 

Whatever the strategy is we will always, much as you have done with your post, have to help them keep an eye on the ball. 

ETA

Some supporting evidence for the theory and the reason why in the press statement they are looking at a quarter of the network receiving Green Flag status. 

"BOOSTING FUNDING

Having a Green Flag Award® is an excellent lever for obtaining external funding through improvement grants and is a means of maximising revenue opportunities from within the site. An example of a national funding scheme to which winners can apply is the Heritage Lottery Fund"

51 minutes ago, reg said:

The theory i have heard, can't recall where though, is that by diversifying into other areas and endorsing wellbeing etc, is that CRT leave them self in a position  to tout for a wider range of public and government grants, aids. Awards etc. 

Oh and if there I s anyone closer to the CRT decision making process than me, which isn't difficult, I would be interested to hear if the theory has any credence, thanks

That's exactly the reasoning I had from Richard Parry when giving him a day's boating last week.

2 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

That's exactly the reasoning I had from Richard Parry when giving him a day's boating last week.

Nice to have it confirmed, thanks. 

Makes sense to me, happy to buy into it. Certainly can't think if a better one considering the problem presented. 

16 hours ago, reg said:

The theory i have heard, can't recall where though, is that by diversifying into other areas and endorsing wellbeing etc, is that they leave the self in a position  to tout for a wider range of public and government grants, aids. Awards etc. 

ETA

Some supporting evidence for the theory and the reason why in the press statement they are looking at a quarter of the network receiving Green Flag status. 

"BOOSTING FUNDING

Having a Green Flag Award® is an excellent lever for obtaining external funding through improvement grants and is a means of maximising revenue opportunities from within the site. An example of a national funding scheme to which winners can apply is the Heritage Lottery Fund"

I am one of the unwashed that put myself about free of charge to stop the closure /filling in of the water ways in the50's 60's & 70's  this was for ongoing  use of same  I have no problem sharing the heritage with other  pursuits but my problem why is it from my prospective it seems that C&RT consider these more important than the base use (Boating) the fact that fisher men/towpath bikies are able to use the water /towpath is in a good few cases a result of the endevers back then  May they long continue to enjoy but not I hope to the detriment of folk paying a larger whack into the pot  & my point was why does C&RT spend scarce funds on renewing the logo's signs etc paying out big cash for private contractors to do jobs but is seems very rarely if ever check to see if the job is completed & to standard I fear that if it was a company it would have long been in liquidation the way the perform Possibly I have it all wrong but it saddens me to see the efforts the "mucky brigade " put in back then for the purpose of keeping the waterways open is being frittered away

59 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

I am one of the unwashed that put myself about free of charge to stop the closure /filling in of the water ways in the50's 60's & 70's  this was for ongoing  use of same  I have no problem sharing the heritage with other  pursuits but my problem why is it from my prospective it seems that C&RT consider these more important than the base use (Boating) the fact that fisher men/towpath bikies are able to use the water /towpath is in a good few cases a result of the endevers back then  May they long continue to enjoy but not I hope to the detriment of folk paying a larger whack into the pot  & my point was why does C&RT spend scarce funds on renewing the logo's signs etc paying out big cash for private contractors to do jobs but is seems very rarely if ever check to see if the job is completed & to standard I fear that if it was a company it would have long been in liquidation the way the perform Possibly I have it all wrong but it saddens me to see the efforts the "mucky brigade " put in back then for the purpose of keeping the waterways open is being frittered away

• As a Johny come lately, that's me not you by the way, I am living on the back of your and others previous efforts for which I thank you and applaud you. 
  • New logo, whole threads on that, personally I don't like it, but accept its done now. 
  • The most important thing to me now is the future of the network. I can understand, but not in all of its detail, the problem that has to be addressed. So I have to ask myself
  1. Do I accept the reasoning behind the new strategy? On balance yes
  2. Do I accept that to achieve their objectives a new management structure and quality directors are necessary? Again yes. 
  3. Do I accept that a re branding exercise was necessary so soon after the last on? Not fully but pragmatically am willing to accept it has been implemented if it means energies can be directed towards the future of the networks. 
  4. Is it important to lobby, pressurise and keep on track the new board? absolutely. 
  5. Is Richard Parry the man to be taking us forward and to tackle the difficult challenges? On what I've seen so far I would have to say yes. 
  6. Should we give them stick when they get things wrong? Absolutely I don't think they would expect anything else. 

On balance I accept their future strategy. How it pans out I've no way of knowing. 

• Greenie 2