Opportunity for millions to gain happiness right on their doorstep

Ray T

Featured Posts

23 May 2018

PRESS RELEASE

OPPORTUNITY FOR MILLIONS TO GAIN HAPPINESS RIGHT ON THEIR DOORSTEP

The charity that cares for the nation’s 2,000 miles of canals and rivers is today setting out how former industrial waterways can improve the wellbeing of millions of people. The Trust’s waterways run through some of the most heavily populated communities in England and Wales providing accessible green and blue space on their doorstep.

With ever increasing rates of obesity, diabetes, and other debilitating conditions – and rising levels of stress, anxiety and other mental health conditions in the UK, the Canal & River Trust believes waterways are uniquely placed to make a significant contribution to improving the wellbeing of the nation, with millions of people living within easy reach of one of the free-to-use towpaths running alongside its canals and rivers. New independent research published today shows that simply spending time by the waterways can make you happier and improve your life satisfaction, with an equivalent estimated social wellbeing value of £3.8bn per year (1/2).

Many of the waterways cared for by the charity run through some of our country’s most deprived and multi-cultural urban communities, where their potential impact is greatest, with people living in the least prosperous areas twice as likely to be physically inactive than those living in more prosperous areas (3).

A report commissioned by the charity – Assessing the wellbeing impacts of waterways usage in England and Wales – written by social impact consultancy group Simetrica, reveals:

The associated benefits of visiting a canal or river increase with the length of visit, with research showing higher levels of happiness and lower levels of anxiety for longer trips

Any visit to a waterway is associated with higher levels of life satisfaction and visiting regularly is associated with even higher levels of life satisfaction.

The Trust’s research also reveals that three quarters of towpath users say they visit to ‘get away from it all and clear my head’, and because they are ‘great places to relax and de-stress’ (4). However, of the eight million people living within a kilometre of a waterway, currently just three in ten ever visit (5/6); with vast potential to make a meaningful impact on millions of lives.

The charity is today (Wednesday, May 23rd) setting out this enhanced new role for the waterways, to improve the health, happiness and wellbeing for those living in waterside communities. It describes the impact that England & Wales’ 200-year-old waterways can have on a society that’s ranked just 19th in the World Happiness Report and is home to 20 million people who are physically inactive, with some of the worst rates of mental health in the world (7).

Richard Parry, chief executive of the Canal & River Trust, comments: “Our waterways are an amazing historic legacy for us all, and it is exhilarating to find that they can play such an important new role in our lives. This research presents clear evidence for what we might all experience – that we can make life better by water.  And for the millions of people living alongside them, especially in our towns and cities where green space is at a premium, canals and rivers can provide a boost to health, happiness and wellbeing.  They are free to use and on people’s doorstep.

“Working with partners and local communities, we believe that waterways have the power to make a real difference to people’s lives, and we’re on a mission to make the most of the benefits they can provide.”

Daniel Fujiwara, founding director at Simetrica which offers social impact analysis and policy evaluation of the highest scientific rigour to governments, international organisations, and the private and not-for-profit sectors, comments: “Evidence shows that spending time by water is associated with higher levels of happiness and there are a number of studies underway by the Trust to precisely measure and demonstrate the value of these waterways – in improving people’s wellbeing and the significant benefits this could offer to the NHS and the nation at large.”

In the last year the charity has needed to spend more than £100 million on maintaining and caring for the waterways, making them available for people to escape to, for exercise, or simply to spend time away from the daily routine, with nearly 400 million visits each year (8).

‘Water’ ambition:

We want over 7 million people (90%) who live close to the waterway to appreciate the benefits they can provide

Waterways can be the catalyst for more cohesive communities. We want one million volunteering hours every year, and for a quarter of the network – 500 miles - to be adopted and cared for by local communities

We want one million children and young people to be engaged in our waterways and actively benefit from them

We want the wellbeing benefits of our beautiful waterside spaces to be celebrated with a quarter of the network awarded a prestigious Green Flag award.

The charity is calling on communities to provide their time as volunteers or to make a regular donation, so the waterways can continue to be cared and enjoyed by everyone. To find out how to feel better by water and to get involved visit www.canalrivertrust.org.uk

-ends-

For further media requests please contact:

Fran Read, national press officer, Canal & River Trust

m 07796 610 427 e fran.read@canalrivertrust.org.uk 

For a full copy of the Simetrica report please visit our website www.canalrivertrust.org.uk

Edited by Ray T

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

Sorry Ray, but some of that is utter cockalorum  - in particular, the apparently random plucking of numbers out of the air towards the end. 

I am just the messenger, I have no opinion on the press release.

Please feel free to delete it, if you as a mod, are unhappy.

8 minutes ago, Ray T said:

I am just the messenger, I have no opinion on the press release.

Please feel free to delete it, if you as a mod, are unhappy.

No, all types of opinion on this subject are welcome.

But I suggest that, in future, you make it clear that you are posting someone else's advert or press release; at the moment, most people will think that you are writing them yourself.

33 minutes ago, Athy said:

But I suggest that, in future, you make it clear that you are posting someone else's advert or press release; at the moment, most people will think that you are writing them yourself.

I can’t see that these posts that Ray makes can be mistaken for anything other than CRT press releases, as that is what they say in the text.

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have never consider these press releases to be anything other than from C&RT.

Particularly when it says contact Fran Read (C&RT Press Officer) for more info.

22 hours ago, Athy said:

Keep Up  Mike?  Ray has been posting Press Releases from C&RT for years, with the agreement and approval of Daniel.

8 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Keep Up  Mike?  Ray has been posting Press Releases from C&RT for years, with the agreement and approval of Daniel.

Just that some of them are more acutely embarrassing than others!

I'll not pass comment on this one! :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I didn't say that he hadn't.

28 minutes ago, Athy said:

I didn't say that he hadn't.

So why did you react to his post in such an agressive manner, the construction and tone of which suggested that you believed that what Ray had posted was his own work. Furthermore, saying sorry before you propound a derogatory opinion is not an excuse for doing so.

Edited by David Schweizer

41 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

So why did you react to his post in such an agressive manner, the construction and tone of which suggested that you believed that what Ray had posted was his own work. Furthermore, saying sorry before you propound a derogatory opinion is not an excuse for doing so.

I didn't. 

Why not? 

Thank you for your opinion, to which you are fully entitled.

Edited by Athy

It seems a shame that C&RT feel the need to diversify in seemingly every direction other than keeping the waterways up together they spend vast amounts of money on things that will yield very little in return whilst ignoring the parts they derive income from, the average person from a run down area that a canal passes through has little or no thought or interest  for it other than it's an easy bike ride/walk along the towpath & has no thoughts if the water is drained or full to the normal level (if ever) & junk filled We have trod this path before in the 50's/70's  when in general Joe Public wanted the rubbish filled ditches filled in, they were revived once I'm not so sure it would/could happen again So come on C&RT get your act together & concentrate on the job you are tasked with (Keeping the waterways viable ) not among other things however laudable of trying to solve the folk who live in depressed canal side area's mental /depression problems whilst the waterways deteriorate

Edited by X Alan W
  • Greenie 1

On 25/05/2018 at 15:32, Athy said:

Sorry, I missed this first time around.

I completely disagree - I can't imagine how anybody can thing Ray is writing these - it is made entirely clear that it is a press release.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I didn't. 

Why not? 

Thank you for your opinion, to which you are fully entitled.

Yes , and I still maintain that you resonded to Ray's post agressively giving the impression that you believed it to be Ray's own views, despite it stating that it was s press release  It was totally out of order to state that it was cockalorum, which suggests that it is the work of a little man with a high opinion of himself. If you do not consider that to be rude i am livng on a different planet to you.

Edited by David Schweizer

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Yes , and I still maintain that you resonded to Ray's post agressively giving the impression that you believed it to be Ray's own views, despite it stating that it was s press release  It was totally out of order to state that it was cockalorum, which suggests that it is the work of a little man with a high opinion of himself. If you do not consider that to be rude i am livng on a different planet to you.

How is life on Mars??

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well THAT example of wit passed everyone by, didn’t it! ?

I'm able to understand a post without commenting on it..............

............ Damn! - not always it seems.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well THAT example of wit passed everyone by, didn’t it! ?

It certainly passed me by, please explain.

11 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

No Idea, Aren't you on Saturn?  I prefer it on Jupiter ?

Well, My example of wit also passed everyone by.

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

It certainly passed me by, please explain.

Well ok as it seems necessary...

”Life on Mars” is a David Bowie song (you knew that), and that lad insane Rusty69 cleverly gave an appropriate answer which is also the title of a much loved Bowie album. 

• Haha 1