What is this part on my engine?

Featured Posts

Hello!

We have an Isuzu marine 35, and I'm trying to find where a small oil leak is coming from. In the picture attached (not my engine) can anybody tell me what the tube located right beneath the throttle lever is for? It is between the alternator and the engine block and it has a plastic cap. Is it an alternative way to siphon oil out of the sump? The cap was loose and I think this is where my oil was spilling out during running. So I have hopefully solved the leak but I'm now curious to know what it is for.

Many thanks for any help!

IMG_3219.JPG

I guess its an alternative oil filler. I assume you have an oil filler in the top or "rocker box cover". Its quite possible that in other applications this engine is fitted in such away that there is access from the side but not from the top. In an ideal world the mariniser should have removed this filler and fitted a blanking plate.

.................Dave

1 minute ago, dmr said:

I guess its an alternative oil filler. I assume you have an oil filler in the top or "rocker box cover". Its quite possible that in other applications this engine is fitted in such away that there is access from the side but not from the top. In an ideal world the mariniser should have removed this filler and fitted a blanking plate.

.................Dave

Not likely, they would have to machine a lump off the timing gear casting

Just now, GrahamSop said:

Ok great, thanks! Makes sense to have different filler locations I suppose

Your engine is designed to be used in a variety of applications, mostly industrial. In some of them, the fillers on the top wouldn't be accessible but one on the side would

Finding itself in a boat must have been a bit of a shock, it was probably expecting to become a generator engine in a nice insulated sound pod

Richard

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Your engine is designed to be used in a variety of applications, mostly industrial. In some of them, the fillers on the top wouldn't be accessible but one on the side would

Finding itself in a boat must have been a bit of a shock, it was probably expecting to become a generator engine in a nice insulated sound pod

Richard

Poor thing, i can imagine its disappointment, life in a dark damp engine hole and years and years of tickover, never a chance to stretch its legs, plus an oil filler that never gets fed.

.............Dave

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, dmr said:

Poor thing, i can imagine its disappointment, life in a dark damp engine hole and years and years of tickover, never a chance to stretch its legs, plus an oil filler that never gets fed.

.............Dave

It could have been worse, it might have been painted yellow and called V.....

As others have said, it's an alternative dipstick/oil filler. When the engine is used on a piece of plant, say a generator, the casing would usually be tight on top of the engine precluding using the rocker box to top up/fill with oil. My Barrus (Yanmar) has a similar arrangement, I believe Kubota do as well. Very common on plant based engines.

Edited by Flyboy

6 hours ago, GrahamSop said:

Hello!

We have an Isuzu marine 35, and I'm trying to find where a small oil leak is coming from. In the picture attached (not my engine) can anybody tell me what the tube located right beneath the throttle lever is for? It is between the alternator and the engine block and it has a plastic cap. Is it an alternative way to siphon oil out of the sump? The cap was loose and I think this is where my oil was spilling out during running. So I have hopefully solved the leak but I'm now curious to know what it is for.

Many thanks for any help!

IMG_3219.JPG

I'm impressed by the wood screws fixing the engine mounts !