CRT rebranding - because YOU demanded it!

magictime

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, magictime said:

Looks like CRT are 'rebranding' again. From some of the discussion on here lately, this should cheer a lot of people up:

PRESS RELEASE

CANAL AND RIVER TRUST

Putting Boaters First

Is this thing thine own?

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The man that never made a mistake never made anything.

Oh, I don't know. Geoff Boycott made quite a few centuries, but he never made a mistake - or at least, if he did, I have never heard him mention it.

But aren't boaters the only class of users that specifically pay for the use of the waterways ? - all other users get it for 'free' - except via national taxes - that boaters pay as well.

4 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

But aren't boaters the only class of users that specifically pay for the use of the waterways ? - all other users get it for 'free' - except via national taxes - that boaters pay as well.

No.

The water utilities pay for water extraction and surface water discharges out of / into the canals.

Farmers & industry pay extraction licence fees.

The Elect and phone companies pay for using the tow-path to run cables.

C&RTs income from the utilities is greater than that from Boat licences.

If push comes to shove I'm sure C&RT would rather lose the licence fees than the utility income.

Sustrans pay for allowing their cycle routes to become race tracks.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No.

The water utilities pay for water extraction and surface water discharges out of / into the canals.

If push comes to shove I'm sure C&RT would rather lose the licence fees than the utility income.

I don't see a private individual in that list.

George

40 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

I don't see a private individual in that list.

George

What has that got to do with the price of fish ?

The question was :

6 hours ago, Horace42 said:

But aren't boaters the only class of users that specifically pay for the use of the waterways ? - all other users get it for 'free'

No mention of 'private individuals'.

There are several other user groups who pay directly for their use of the waterway.

12 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What has that got to do with the price of fish ?

The question was :

No mention of 'private individuals'.

There are several other user groups who pay directly for their use of the waterway.

Fish is virtually  free, as long as you dangle your worm in a canal.

Private individual WAS mentioned, by ME.  I introduced it. 

I will continue to point out just how much boaters, as individuals, pay towards our canal system as opposed to how much boaters, as citizens of this country ADDITIONALLY pay towards our canal system.

I will also continue to point out that boaters uniquely have been selected, from amongst  all off road users, to pay full diesel duty for propulsion.

If some boaters wish to bend over and take it, saying "it is only fair that we pay", they can get on with it, I won't!

George

19 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No.

I have a bro in law who live near the Oxford canal. He is a keen cyclist and marathon runner. He uses the towpath both for running training and for cycling and personaly doesnt pay a penny. Cyclists are unique well just about in that they use roads/towpaths etc etc and never have to pay diddly squat. I was on the Ashby last month and its towpath is completely destroyed and deeply  rutted by cycle tyres and you will not see a cyclist with a CART sticker on its frame having paid for its licence.

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 14:55, Horace42 said:

But that nice Mr Leighton is on the CRT website right now proclaiming

" Eight million people live within 1km of our canals and the best thing about them, in my opinion, is they’re free for everyone to use and enjoy". 

So unless he includes boaters in "everyone", then he must mean that we can use and enjoy the eight million people for free!?

1 minute ago, canalboat said:

But that nice Mr Leighton is on the CRT website right now proclaiming

" Eight million people live within 1km of our canals and the best thing about them, in my opinion, is they’re free for everyone to use and enjoy". 

So unless he includes boaters in "everyone", then he must mean that we can use and enjoy the eight million people for free!?

I think I might have to share - I couldn't manage them all on my own.