Ebac hot fill washing machines

Featured Posts

Has anyone tried installing/using one of these on a boat? They seem a sensible way of reducing electricity consumption and taking advantage of 'free' hot water.

I emailed them querying peak power usage and whilst suitably vague they did state that the machines use a 1kw heating element. 

However, the initial response form customer services also went straight into stating that they aren't suitable for a marine environment as they need to be perfectly level otherwise they won't function properly during the spin cycle (They balance the washing load to stop damage and this requires them to be dead level). Further questioning reveals that all modern washing machines function in the same way, some being more sensitive than others....

So, has anyone tried an ebac machine on a narrowboat? Did you have any joy or did it end up in tears / smoke and a refund?  

Most hot fill washing machines only use the hot water inlet when it’s set for above a certain temperature which is usually not a standard wash.  Majority of times it probably won’t be used.

Edited by Robbo

37 minutes ago, wiltshirewonderer said:

Has anyone tried installing/using one of these on a boat? They seem a sensible way of reducing electricity consumption and taking advantage of 'free' hot water.

I emailed them querying peak power usage and whilst suitably vague they did state that the machines use a 1kw heating element. 

However, the initial response form customer services also went straight into stating that they aren't suitable for a marine environment as they need to be perfectly level otherwise they won't function properly during the spin cycle (They balance the washing load to stop damage and this requires them to be dead level). Further questioning reveals that all modern washing machines function in the same way, some being more sensitive than others....

So, has anyone tried an ebac machine on a narrowboat? Did you have any joy or did it end up in tears / smoke and a refund?  

Slightly a bit of a pain; I add about 8 litres of hot water (to my cold fill machine) from the tank before switching the machine on. Obviously you've got to be sensible temperature wise to regulate the water with the wash programme. It works for me..... this is yet another tip I picked up from this forum ?

Edited by Jennifer McM

52 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Most hot fill washing machines only use the hot water inlet when it’s set for above a certain temperature which is usually not a standard wash.  Majority of times it probably won’t be used.

These guys say that they don't follow that approach, the machines take from the hot supply and heat further if necessary. Cold input is only used if required to cool overly hot water or if set to a cold wash.

Edit: I specifically asked them about it as when I previously researched this I found exactly what you said from the other suppliers - hot was only used for 60c washes or higher.

Edited by wiltshirewonderer

1 hour ago, wiltshirewonderer said:

These guys say that they don't follow that approach, the machines take from the hot supply and heat further if necessary. Cold input is only used if required to cool overly hot water or if set to a cold wash.

Edit: I specifically asked them about it as when I previously researched this I found exactly what you said from the other suppliers - hot was only used for 60c washes or higher.

Sigh.. Scratch that! I thought I'd ask them again (Last time was before launch). The chap I'm currently speaking to said hot water for 60c and above on Ebac machines as well. Ah well, back to the drawing board then as the unique selling point of these Ebac machines (for me) does not in fact exist....  

4 minutes ago, wiltshirewonderer said:

Sigh.. Scratch that! I thought I'd ask them again (Last time was before launch). The chap I'm currently speaking to said hot water for 60c and above on Ebac machines as well. Ah well, back to the drawing board then as the unique selling point of these Ebac machines (for me) does not in fact exist....  

That's a bit crap and not really what the site imply s - https://www.ebac.com/washing-machines/hot-fill

We do what Jennifer does. However we don't measure the amount but guess. If we put it in before switching on, the pump would pump it out, then start its cycle.  So we wait for the cold to start filling and turn on the hot tap with a short length of hose into the soap tray.