No Traditional Engine Room on a Tug

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, billS said:

As opposed to you own "tug's" shallow well deck (which I think is a more practical arrangement - your tools don't roll overboard)

I think of Trojan as a "trad with tuggish tendencies" - the deck's not really long enough to give her "tug" status!

In fact I wanted to go for a fully raised deck when we were having Trojan built, but Mrs. Athy told me that I didn't want one - for fear that she, rather than the tools, might roll overboard.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is the size and position of the engine will determine how the boat handles. A boat with a traditional engine will have a deeper draught and bigger blade, be heavier on the tiller ( less prone to nasty vibrations), be less affected by wind etc etc. They also feel far more “balanced” underway, something that can only be appreciated once you’ve experienced it.

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There are plenty of 'tug style' narrowboats around with nice elegant tug decks and no engine room. I tend to notice them specifically as a nice looking tug style boat makes me wonder what classic engine it might have in the engine room, and I glance first to see if it has the accompanying side doors that indicate a proper engine room, and roof mounted exhaust. 

Disappointingly I'd say about 25% of the tug style boats I see have no side doors or roof mounted exhaust stack, indicating the engine is probably something dull concealed beneath the bed and with appalling access for maintenance. 

I do exactly the same thing.

Alas, thanks to the punitive and otiose regulations introduced a couple of years ago, the proportion of such boats with engine rooms and funnels can only decline. Apparently there is still a way of having a trad engine installed in your new boat, but it entails jumping through more hoops than most people are willing to negotiate.

14 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Does beer have to contain alcohol and coffee, caffeine? 

I’m told that coffee doesn’t have to contain caffeine but I’ve never understood the point... 

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

I do exactly the same thing.

Alas, thanks to the punitive and otiose regulations introduced a couple of years ago, the proportion of such boats with engine rooms and funnels can only decline. Apparently there is still a way of having a trad engine installed in your new boat, but it entails jumping through more hoops than most people are willing to negotiate.

Virtual greenie for making me pick up my concise Oxford.

Otiose perhaps, but surely if they were punitive, then they would require you to remove yours.

3 minutes ago, billS said:

Virtual greenie for making me pick up my concise Oxford.

Greenie from me too for Mr Athy for the same reason.

I also particularly like his use of the word 'doggerel' yesterday :)