Opinions on this solar setup?

Markinaboat

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

????

300 Watts worth of panels of any sort/type will deliver the same number of amps at any voltage from any given controller so I don't understand teh thinking behind the red part. I accept some types of panels can be smaller for the same wattage but not that they will deliver a different number of amps in any given circumstance.

Yup. 300W is 300W. They’ll give around 150W output on average in the UK summer whatever they are, unless they track the sun (when it shines). 

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

????

300 Watts worth of panels of any sort/type will deliver the same number of amps at any voltage from any given controller so I don't understand teh thinking behind the red part. I accept some types of panels can be smaller for the same wattage but not that they will deliver a different number of amps in any given circumstance.

Tony, I think you may have misread that. Amorphous panels of an equivalent wattage will take up a considerably larger area of roof space. That's my point. Thanks Mark

10 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Tony, I think you may have misread that. Amorphous panels of an equivalent wattage will take up a considerably larger area of roof space. That's my point. Thanks Mark

This is what you wrote that we found confusing:

"Amorphous so woild need to cover too much of the roof to get 300W with a reasonable amps at 24v"

When in actual fact in the light of your latest post, all you needed to have written is:

"Amorphous so woild need to cover too much of the roof to get 300W" 

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is what you wrote that we found confusing:

"Amorphous so woild need to cover too much of the roof to get 300W with a reasonable amps at 24v"

When in actual fact in the light of your latest post, all you needed to have written is:

"Amorphous so woild need to cover too much of the roof to get 300W" 

When in actual fact, all I needed to write was "Amorphous so would need to cover too much of the roof to get  the 300W which I'd need to achieve my desired amps".

I would've thought the statement was fairly obvious, even if appended to unnecessarily?

However, please accept my apology's - I'll make more of an effort in future posts to cater for the pedantics ?

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

23 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

I would've thought the statement was fairly obvious, even if appended to unnecessarily?

No, because by stating 24v, it suggested you thought this was significant and that at 12v you would have had enough current.

So we all thought you had a fundamental misunderstanding of power, which for the benefit of other readers, needed highlighting.

And I'm still not sure this isn't true, given you appear to regard this as pedantry.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Edit to improve clarity

19 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

When in actual fact, all I needed to write was "Amorphous so would need to cover too much of the roof to get  the 300W which I'd need to achieve my desired amps".

No. See my edit. You’re still bringing current into it. 

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No, because by stating 24v, it suggested you thought this was significant and that at 12v you would have had enough current.

So we all thought you had a fundamental misunderstanding of power, which for the benefit of other readers, needed highlighting.

And I'm still not sure this isn't true, given you appear to regard this as pedantry.

To some degree Mike, the mention of 24v could be of interest otherwise a typical response could have been "why do you need 300w?" Now the topic/post has ventured away from the whole point of amorphous panels occupying a greater area of roof. I still think there's an element of pedantry here, as in many other posts these days. 

10 minutes ago, WotEver said:

No. See my edit. You’re still bringing current into it. 

Twad

56 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Twad

What an intelligent response. 

You either need 300W, or 500W, or 200W or whatever. That power equates directly to the energy that needs to be replaced in your battery bank. It matters not if the bank is 12V, 24V, or 48V; it only matters how much energy you wish to replace. 

Perhaps you already understand this (although from comments such as the above I have my doubts) but others viewing the thread may well not understand it. 

1 hour ago, Markinaboat said:

the mention of 24v could be of interest otherwise a typical response could have been "why do you need 300w?"

No.

Again.

You need 300W because that equates to how much power you wish to convert to energy to charge your battery. It’s entirely irrelevant if you used that charge at 12V or 24V. 

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, WotEver said:

What an intelligent response. 

You either need 300W, or 500W, or 200W or whatever. That power equates directly to the energy that needs to be replaced in your battery bank. It matters not if the bank is 12V, 24V, or 48V; it only matters how much energy you wish to replace. 

Perhaps you already understand this (although from comments such as the above I have my doubts) but others viewing the thread may well not understand it. 

No.

Again.

You need 300W because that equates to how much power you wish to convert to energy to charge your battery. It’s entirely irrelevant if you used that charge at 12V or 24V. 

Head, bang, brick wall springs to mind!

Hopefully anyone reading this thread in the early stages of understanding the subject, will figure out who of us is explaining correctly.

55 minutes ago, Johny London said:

Another interesting thread ruined... mods!?

Why are you calling for a mod? What’s the problem?  Nothing’s ‘ruined’, someone made a confusing post, that was pointed out, he threw his toys out of the pram like a spoiled toddler. Thread went back on track. 

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

Why are you calling for a mod? What’s the problem?  Nothing’s ‘ruined’, someone made a confusing post, that was pointed out, he threw his toys out of the pram like a spoiled toddler. Thread went back on track. 

Indeed, my recollection of the 60's was that Rockers were better in a fight than than Mods.  ?

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Indeed, my recollection of the 60's was that Rockers were better in a fight than than Mods.  ?

I agree. I watched them throwing some scooters down Box Hill. 

10 hours ago, WotEver said:

I agree. I watched them throwing some scooters down Box Hill. 

Ah, Box Hill, the closest road in Surrey to an Alpine Pass ?

I cut my driving teeth there and the lanes around Leith Hill.

• Happy 1

36 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Ah, but I bet Hanibal didnt take his hefalumps across Box hill??

True, but then the Alps don't have an eccentric man buried upside down.

"Near to Box Hill Fort is the grave of Dorking eccentric Major Peter Labelliere (1726-1800). He left instructions that on his death he was to be buried upside down on Box Hill, claiming that the world was topsy-turvy and he wanted to be right in the end."

37 minutes ago, cuthound said:

"Near to Box Hill Fort is the grave of Dorking eccentric Major Peter Labelliere (1726-1800). He left instructions that on his death he was to be buried upside down on Box Hill, claiming that the world was topsy-turvy and he wanted to be right in the end."

I hope he wasn't too tall!

10 hours ago, cuthound said:

What a lovely sounding man. I’d have loved to have met him. 

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

What a lovely sounding man. I’d have loved to have met him. 

My thoughts too.

On the other hand, Jimmy Savil specified he was to be buried vertically, but leaning forwards. "Always moving forwards, never looking back" was his philosophy apparently, or something like that....

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

On the other hand, Jimmy Savil specified he was to be buried vertically, but leaning forwards. "Always moving forwards, never looking back" was his philosophy apparently, or something like that....

I was thinking of a response but it was too rude! I won't get my coat just yet.?

23 hours ago, cuthound said:

I wonder if he was related to this gentleman who also sounds very interesting?

General Sir Peter Edgar de la Cour de la BillièreKCBKBEDSOMC & Bar (born 29 April 1934) is a former British Army officer who was Director SAS during the Iranian Embassy siege and Commander-in-Chief of the British forces in the Gulf War. He is often known by the initialism DLB.

Any way back to solar in which I am interested also a 24v boat. ?

Edited by Dartagnan