Opinions on this solar setup?

Markinaboat

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Oh no! Back to the voltage vs current argument!

No I was making a statement that I am interested in solar and that my boat is also 24v.  I made no comment as to the technicalities as I haven’t a clue about that!  

Sorry to disappoint you. ?

5 minutes ago, Dartagnan said:

No I was making a statement that I am interested in solar and that my boat is also 24v.  I made no comment as to the technicalities as I haven’t a clue about that!  

Sorry to disappoint you. ?

No, its fine, really! I was just commenting on the last 'on topic' discussion to the thread which was 3 days ago....which seemed to go nowhere for a while .....before discussing which way up hanibal was buried on Box hill.

Perhaps the thread has run its course as the question was about the OP asking for input on flexible panels...which I think was answered quite well. Maybe worth a new thread to get info on what you are after?

16 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

No, its fine, really! I was just commenting on the last 'on topic' discussion to the thread which was 3 days ago....which seemed to go nowhere for a while .....before discussing which way up hanibal was buried on Box hill.

Perhaps the thread has run its course as the question was about the OP asking for input on flexible panels...which I think was answered quite well. Maybe worth a new thread to get info on what you are after?

I didn't know Hanibal was buried on Box Hill!!

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I didn't know Hanibal was buried on Box Hill!!

Oh no, what a muppet.  You're right. It was Major Peter Labelliere (1726-1800) who was buried there along with his elephant upside down.?

5 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Oh no, what a muppet.  You're right. It was Major Peter Labelliere (1726-1800) who was buried there along with his elephant upside down.?

He had an upside down elephant? 

Even more brilliant!!!!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

So if buried riding his elephant, all upside down, then he will spend all eternity with an elephant crushing him deeper into the ground.

2 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

So if buried riding his elephant, all upside down, then he will spend all eternity with an elephant crushing him deeper into the ground.

Only if the density of the elephant is greater than that of the earth in which it is buried. 

• 1 month later...

I'm late to this party but I have recently put X3 250w photonic universe flexible polycrystalline panels stuck with sikaflex onto my dark blue roof.  Don't know enough about the ins and outs but they are straightforwardly bloody fantastic running all my domestic systems with 12V fridge, computer charging, wifi, lots of lights etc.  They're all biased to one side of a curved roof.

Roof is too hot too walk on this last few weeks but still plenty of output.

I'll paint the rest of my roof cream when I'm all finished (some more panels to do) to cool things down a bit, but I suspect that the differences between poly and mono are just not great on a moving narrowboat with all sorts of different angles etc.  These panels are kind of stippled and textured and non slip walkable on in trainers. I'd simply say put on as many as you can afford and go. Frankly you'll spend a lot more on mono panels, feel good about that extra 10% of power.... and then lose it all by leaving a cushion on one, or mooring in the shade of a treebranch.

Two small layman's points I have realised in the last few months.

With solar going all the time the bigger the battery bank the better (without going insane..)  If you've got lots of capacity then solar will always catch up eventually.

Nothing tastes as good as a G & T with loads of solar powered ice....

• Greenie 1