Opinions on this solar setup?

Markinaboat

Featured Posts

Looking to put solar panels on my lovely traditional trad so want them to be as covert as possible. I've heard that the hot steel can affect them but wonder how much of an issue that is given the amount of real heat that we get here? I think they can be walked upon carefully at the edges?

Any negative experience of stick-on monocrystalline?

https://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/prodshow/300W_Flexible_Solar_Narrowboat__Kit_12V_or_24V/SSF300MK.html

Just now, Markinaboat said:

Looking to put solar panels on my lovely traditional trad so want them to be as covert as possible. I've heard that the hot steel can affect them but wonder how much of an issue that is given the amount of real heat that we get here? I think they can be walked upon carefully at the edges?

https://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/prodshow/300W_Flexible_Solar_Narrowboat__Kit_12V_or_24V/SSF300MK.html

When it's hot and the panels aren't performing their best (due to the heat), there is usually enough sun anyhow to cover your needs anyhow so really it's a non-issue.

Thanks, thought as much. My other concern is as and when I need to paint the roof, don;t want rust building up underneath. I' sure I read somewhere once about adhesive that can be cut through with wire, bit like a cheese cutter? They offer this as an option and is flexible...

Bostik 360

Edited by Markinaboat

2 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

They're too large for me as I need two for 24v. Also, they're Polycrystalline as opposed to Monocrystalline panels.

Mono only real ally benefits over poly when they can be directly pointed at the sun.

Just now, Robbo said:

Mono only real ally benefits over poly when they can be directly pointed at the sun.

More heat tolerant, smaller area for comparable output etc.

In depth explanation here: https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/pros-and-cons-of-monocrystalline-vs-polycrystalline-solar-panels

• Greenie 1

Have you considered rigid panels mounted very flat on the roof with Z brackets? That's how I've done mine and they look pretty good. That way a little air gap to the roof and easy-ish to remove, same sort of dimensions ie not too wide so can be carefully walked past...

Solar panels 1.jpg

• Greenie 1

My cruiser stern and roof get far too hot to walk on in bare feet in the kind of sun we have had over the past week or so. So much so that I left the dog down below for much of a trip on Tuesday, and am now looking at getting some crappy plastic or rubber covering for the deck.

I don't know how much this level of heat would affect solar panels, but it was bloody hot!

Another option for covert panels are these

https://midsummerenergy.co.uk/buy/peelnstick_solar_panels/unisolar_pvl68_peel_n_stick_solar_panel

Unfortunately Unisolar who made these very fine panels went into liquidation a few years ago. Whilst midsummer are still providing these it is possible to get the 129w and 135w panels as new old liquidated stock from the USA. That's what I did and am more than pleased with them. 

Just found this supplier in the UK

http://www.renugen.co.uk/unisolar-pvl-136-136w-laminate-solar-panel/

I can fully recommend these based on their quality but you will not get the same output per surface area that you would with rigid panels.

These are far better quality and much tougher than the plasticy panels you pointed to.

Or these from USA

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Uni-Solar-PVL-136-Watt-PowerBond-Flexible-24V-Amorphous-Solar-Panel-MC3/192313839740?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=cfb3a19d0f0c49aba12ee9c2e91bc76b&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&mehot=ag&sd=192313839740&itm=192313839740&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

Which are shipped with import duty pre paid via eBay shipping program. Mine took about 10 days to arrive 

Edited by reg

16 hours ago, Markinaboat said:

I've got no experience of these panels but as someone who knows plastics, I would be concerned over the lifetime of the panels wrt the failure of the plastic holding the monocrystaline cells together. I guess they are using some sort of engineering plastic but unless it it stuffed full of antioxidant it will go brittle and then be prone to cracking. Rigid panels have life expectancies of 20 years (never believed that) but flexible panels will be less and perhaps far less. 

It may be worth going on the lumpy water boat forums (ybw) and asking there as many members will have had flexible panels and some with over 10 years experience of them in hot climates i.e. the Med.

When I did what research I could there were a number of disgruntled users with flexible panels that had de-laminated, especially at the edges, and failed after a very few years. I went for horizontally mounted rigid panels. Fpr the cost not worth the risk in my view. Especially now rigid panels are much cheaper.

Re the 20 year thing. I think they "warrant" that the panels will still have 80% of their rated output after 20 years so could well produce a useful output for much longer. I do wonder if the second-hand offerings have lost sufficient output to may it economic to replace them with more efficient panel.

I personally wouldn't touch these flexible plasticy panels. The unisolar panels though are a different kettle of fish and are much tougher. 

If your main criteria is covert panels then the unisolar are a better bet however:

• They are adhesive backed with very strong adhesive Once fixed they aren't going anywhere. 
  • The shape of the panels needs to be taken into consideration as they are not removable once installed. 
  • They are relatively expensive compared with rigid panels 
  • You get less performance than from a rigid panel. 
  • If you have any slope on your roof then if you install 2 of these, one on each side, then you would ideally need to have a separate controller for each panel. Why l? Because with slanting light the one in shade would drag down the output of the one having more light hitting it. 

Overall if covert panels main criteria then I would suggest these are the way to go. 

Personally I think rigid panels are now so ubiquitous that there appearance on even trad boats no longer looks out of place, but that just a personal opinion

Edited by reg

9 minutes ago, reg said:

With this 300 Watt solar power kit you could expect to generate around 100 amps per day (12V Battery System) or 50 amps per day (24V Battery System) during the summer months supplementing the leisure battery power onboard." 

Methinks not. 

You are 100% correct - however it is quite possible that they would potentially generate more than 150Ah per day on a good Summer day.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

13 minutes ago, reg said:

With this 300 Watt solar power kit you could expect to generate around 100 amps per day (12V Battery System) or 50 amps per day (24V Battery System) during the summer months supplementing the leisure battery power onboard." 

Methinks not. 

Breathtaking technical illiteracy!

43 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You are 100% correct - however it is quite possible that they would potentially generate more than 150Ah per day on a good Summer day.

I've actually retracted the comment as I misread it, due to as Mike says their technical illiteracy(and to be fair my actually illiteracy) , as saying they can output 100Amps. 

It's the old Ah v Amps again 

Your statement is more accurate. 

If the supplier doesn't understand the difference then I would think twice about buying from them, simples. 

Edited by reg
Changed wouldn't to think twice

22 hours ago, Johny London said:

Have you considered rigid panels mounted very flat on the roof with Z brackets? That's how I've done mine and they look pretty good. That way a little air gap to the roof and easy-ish to remove, same sort of dimensions ie not too wide so can be carefully walked past...

Solar panels 1.jpg

Leaning towards them Johnny, they sit lower than many. What's the size and output is each panel? Thanks

On 24/05/2018 at 16:22, Robbo said:

Yep, was chatting to them at Crick and now considering this if able to produce enough for a 24v system.

https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/catalog/full/232-250W-semi-flexible-solar-panel-for-motorhome-caravan-camper-van-rv-boat-or-yacht-made-in-Austria.html

10 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Yep, was chatting to them at Crick and now considering this if able to produce enough for a 24v system.

https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/catalog/full/232-250W-semi-flexible-solar-panel-for-motorhome-caravan-camper-van-rv-boat-or-yacht-made-in-Austria.html

I will not fit those any more. Far too much trouble and also ruin the paint underneath them.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

I will not fit those any more. Far too much trouble and also ruin the paint underneath them.

Trouble in which sense Matty? I accept that the paint underneath will be compromised but with a good adhesive seal around them, is this such a big issue?

8 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Trouble in which sense Matty? I accept that the paint underneath will be compromised but with a good adhesive seal around them, is this such a big issue?

Yes, the area gets damp and condensation even if fully sealed round the edges.

The panels themselves don't take  any wear at all, connections between cells breaking within 12 months on a regular basis. This is from more than one manufacturer. 

Of course some people will have one that has lasted 5 years, but I've seen and replaced lots which haven't. 

The unisolar ones are your best bet, one each side to get your 24v

Edited by matty40s