A sad tale

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, RLWP said:

What about what they are fitting?

I don't know what they are doing, but am highly doubtful they have a spare 1930s Woolwich "bow top" to graft on.

I'm genuinely intrigued - which no doubt was the aim of the original posting!

Just now, RLWP said:

So, might even be newer than what was removed...

Richard

That is usually the case when you replace any bits of these boats.

Noted exception................  When Capricorn was lengthened recently, it used sides that had previously been cut out, and were in storage - though even there, I guess, the bottom would have been new

I guess Sextans qualifies as containing bits of a boat that are nominally older than it is, as it has 10 feet of Thea in it, and Thea was originally delivered some months after Sextans, I think.

3 hours ago, mark99 said:

I like this picture  (post #6)- it's not staged just a snapshot showing just how much sheer work and effort must go into reformation of a historic.

The original plan for Hampton was merely to sheath the back cabin in steel.  I was soon disabused of this idea.  My approach is to trust the real experts to advise and leave them to get on with the job.

Each week I went up to WFBCo and each week Graeme discovered more rot and decay.  The job turned out to be a full rebuild of the back end and cabin.  It took ten months of highly skilled work and anyone interested will be able to see the result at this year's  Braunston Show.  

Edited by koukouvagia

When does a restoration, stop being a restoration and just becomes another boat..

Some builders will restore you a boat, from the bow right back to the stern, then say 'there you go, I've restored it to its original glory'. When in fact to others, its just a new boat.. Albeit, probably a very nice boat, built to an old design.

We've always been very wary, when it comes to restored boats. It would depend on what was still left, that is original.

Then there are the replicas. We've just seen an ad, where the 'rivets' look as though they have been delivered by a machine gun. ?

Edited by 70liveaboard

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Job lot of white gloss? You been down in lunun looking at how they ‘modernise’ boats bought from whilton?

Or modernise into a luxury 60s cruise boat!

Edited by Paul H
  • Greenie 1

7 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

That is usually the case when you replace any bits of these boats.

Noted exception................  When Capricorn was lengthened recently, it used sides that had previously been cut out, and were in storage - though even there, I guess, the bottom would have been new

I guess Sextans qualifies as containing bits of a boat that are nominally older than it is, as it has 10 feet of Thea in it, and Thea was originally delivered some months after Sextans, I think.

EDITED to acknowledge that is nonsense as Thea is newer than Sextans not older - Doh!

8 hours ago, Steve Priest said:

Damn, wrong boat. I’m sure he pointed at this one, but all little Woolwiches look the same when you’ve had a few. Ah well, never mind, Anyone up for crowdfunding?

I shall be wary of bringing our boats up to Brinklow if that's the best you lot can do.

I don't want to end up with the 40 foot boat as a full length one, and the full length one reduced to a tug!

Ok, it is, as most of you know, the Star, ex Water Rambler. I have been cutting off the top bends which were fitted some years ago and will be replacing them with something hopefully more convincing. 

I took some photos and thought that we might have some fun with it.

The second photo is more or less back to where waterways cut it, I might try to post another photo when the work is finished

Steve

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Steve Priest said:

Ok, it is, as most of you know, the Star, ex Water Rambler. I have been cutting off the top bends which were fitted some years ago and will be replacing them with something hopefully more convincing. 

The second photo is more or less back to where waterways cut it, I might try to post another photo when the work is finished

Steve

B******d, had me fooled!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Steve Priest said:

Steve

Thank Gawd for that - it seems that I was OK to stick my neck out on this.....

On 25/05/2018 at 10:21, alan_fincher said:

Yes,

As the photo, (but not Steve's explanation of it!), seems genuine, my best guess is that what is being cut off, (or at least most of it), is not of 1930s origin.

It's obvious if you think about it that Star wasn't going to be original in hat department, but I've obviouslmy never looked at it closely enoughto realise that what had been put there wasn't particularly convincing!

44 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

This may be of interest for those who are not that well acquainted with "Star"

http://www.hnbc.org.uk/boats/star

It also appears as if the cabin roof got the same treatment with no upsweep at the back.