A sad tale

Featured Posts

Try as hard as we might, some boats are too far gone to do anything with and there is no alternative but to scrap them. Unfortunately, this little Woolwich motor is one such boat. We do hope, however, to be able to re-use some parts in the restoration of others.

42320993271_d8870611c5_h.jpg9B6BD2B4-B40F-4920-B316-342F612E1C30 by Steve Priest, on Flickr

42320976261_7c1ce091c5_h.jpg7996D17F-9521-4C3B-9B1A-B66E67CC1BB0 by Steve Priest, on Flickr

• Sad 1

The foredeck and bulkhead look welded, tbh the cants and a lot of the work just below the cut lines looks new, the ribs/knees end suspiciously just below the gas cut line but dont seem to be gas cut...... also why cut the notch out of the gunnals too? 

I dont doubt any assessment made by the chaps at Brinklow but wonder if our legs are being pulled....

7 minutes ago, 70liveaboard said:

OP. You going to put a bow cabin on it..?

Well that's what I was thinking, I've been involved in scrapping boats and it's really not a good idea to have 'em floating while you're doing it.

Nice one Mr Priest.

You have certainly got me at the moment - I really can't work this one out at all.

(Unless you are as good at Photoshop as you are at steelwork - but it doesn't look faked to me....)

The "lining up thingy" looks to me just like a bit of steel tacked on to support a plank to stand on.

I can see the sense of cutting bits with the boat afloat next to the bank, where you can get the forklift to it easily to take the scrap away rather than having to handball it out of the dock, and the cost of craning her out would be £****.

I could never agree with a GU boat being scrapped though, no matter how bad it was.

Edited by Rose Narrowboats

16 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

In that case  I reckon Hampton only survived by the skin of its teeth?.

P1210467.JPG.341fa2c1f7740c69f70a164fb3d0e47f.JPG

I like this picture - it's not staged just a snapshot showing just how much sheer work and effort must go into reformation of a historic.

I think you have missed the point. That's it after Steve has gas axed off the good bits. What's left floating will be scrapped. The good bits 1980s deck and cants and that bit of 1930s rubbing strake and bow section plus  hatch  will go to the new star class relica that is being built. Is is called Expector confusion. This is a constellation on the dark side of Mercury. ( there have already complaints been made by a lady at Brinklow) 

Expector Confusion a Ricky motor was believed to have been renamed in the 1940s I'm sure someone will come along with more details shortly.

I'm watching the rebuild of a butty in one of the yards. By the time it's finished it will have lost it's knees, base, bottom 18" of the sides, top foot of the sides and had every rivet hole welded

It would be cheaper to build a new hold

Richard

I think he is taking off a previously  wholly fabricated set of top ends decks and sides, and replacing possibly with riveting. Those rivets in the first picks look too perfect, the metal is up pitted the guard and stem post are perfect.

like the I can stand in the cut framework.... Lot of effort to make.

36 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I think he is taking off a previously  wholly fabricated set of top ends decks and sides, and replacing possibly with riveting. Those rivets in the first picks look too perfect, the metal is up pitted the guard and stem post are perfect.

like the I can stand in the cut framework.... Lot of effort to make.

Yes,

As the photo, (but not Steve's explanation of it!), seems genuine, my best guess is that wshat is being cut off, (or at least most of it), is not of 1930s origin.

I'm not sure I'm expecting to be right though!

(I also think what is tacked to the bows is purely to help support whoever is doing the work).

I'm sure the Brinklow boys are having a big laugh at all of us.